Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin thomas

sisal carpet
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:47:59 pm »
i have a customer with a sisal carpet that has a water stain on it from a patio door leak, the carpet is only about a month old, any ideas, can it be cleaned safely?

colin
colin thomas

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: sisal carpet
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:27:48 pm »
Saw dust clean but what ever you do don't promise a thing I've nothing nice to say about this carpeting.

Shaun

colin thomas

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
i know shaun, it's a nightmare isn't it, especially as she has only just had it fitted. only a month old and i think she is regretting it already. she has it all through the ground floor of a large house including next to the kitchen! i have left her some granules for any spills but why don't carpet salesmen tell customers of the pitfalls of this stuff
colin
colin thomas

Bob Allen

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:48:14 pm »
Dont touch it or you will regret it
Bob Allen

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:33 pm »
Colin hate to say it Bob's right unless the customers an understnding lady, the minute you set foot on it with your kit the carpet becomes your problem. :-[

PaulKing

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:31:33 pm »
run away... nicely but still run away
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

colin thomas

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:18 pm »
i'll get me coat then!!
 :o ::)

colin thomas

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:51:29 pm »
You should advise her to contact her Insurance Company.

craigp

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 08:22:57 am »
good advice from Finton

its her best bet, maybe the replacment could be something other than sisal.

Craig

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:38 am »
I'm amazed this stuff still sells considering it can't be professionally cleaned.

I stopped selling it years ago - I won't even fit it anymore - awful stuff.

Steve

derek west

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:06 pm »
just in case,
can someone tell me how to identify this meterial, i know its a leaf fibre as i just went through the ncca manual, but doesn't say how to tell when i come across it.
derek

kinder clean

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 04:32:13 pm »
Hi Derek

I have a carpet shop near to me that still suopplies and fits sisal, I took a photo of the range he carries - see picture below.

He told me they do everything they can to talk people out of fitting the stuff and that the fitters hate fitting it.

It has a straw / dry grass texture to it, though in the same shop there was a high end wool carpet that looked and felf incredibly similar to the sisal stuff, in which case I guess a burn test would tell them apart.

As you can see it comes in a wide range of colours too, so don't assume it's only available in natural.

Paul

derek west

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:15:04 pm »
cheers for that paul.
i'm guessing the smell of burnt grass for the burn test?
derek

clinton

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 06:20:25 pm »
Derek

As long as you dont smoke it ;D

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:26:38 pm »
Awful stuff to fit - it has too acclimatise for 24 hours because it can both shrink and expand.

It should be fully adhered to an underlay which in turn should be adhered to the sub-floor on a tackifier release adhesive.

And if all that wasn't bad enough it frays and falls to bits when you cut it - can't understand why anyone would want to buy it - it's a fashion product which has outstayed it's welcome.

Steve

*Professional Carpet Care

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 02:15:14 pm »
Awful stuff to fit - it has too acclimatise for 24 hours because it can both shrink and expand.

It should be fully adhered to an underlay which in turn should be adhered to the sub-floor on a tackifier release adhesive.

And if all that wasn't bad enough it frays and falls to bits when you cut it - can't understand why anyone would want to buy it - it's a fashion product which has outstayed it's welcome.

Steve

100% correct
Carpet fitters & cleaners

PaulKing

Re: sisal carpet New
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 04:37:19 pm »

It has a straw / dry grass texture to it, though in the same shop there was a high end wool carpet that looked and felf incredibly similar to the sisal stuff, in which case I guess a burn test would tell them apart.

It may be cruicial trading SISOOL ( see what they did there sisal &wool = sisool)
£68 a sq meter! does burn as wool and cleans great just shrinks later on. 

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne