Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

neighbour nudger?
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:06:30 pm »
does anyone use this form of marketing?

Re: neighbour nudger?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:45 pm »
Closest i do is putting business cards through neighbours doors when i do survey ........ they recognise name/logo when i go back a week or so later to do work .......... worked twice when i never even got the original survey/estimate  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:57 pm »
I've been doing neighbour nudgers for a little while now.  I've picked up a few jobs from them, and one who cancelled at the last minute >:(

kinder clean

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:36:12 pm »
Got a job from a neighbour nudger this week, £190 worth. so definitely worth while.

WARNING - Almost had my fingers chewed off by a mutt this morning while dropping some mailers off. this was a very stealth dog, didn't get the usual warning signs like a rumbling noise as it charges up the hallway or the snarling and barking, it was just there ready and waiting as my finigers went through, must get the next batch of mailers done a bit thicker than 135gm  ;D that'll teach me for being tight!!
Lucky I carry spare underwear in the van.

Paul

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:34:02 pm »
Haha I had one of those the other day, no noise just a tooth mark in my finger and no skin left where i pulled my hand out quick!

I was fuming for a good 5 minutes, how dare a dog not bark before it bites your hand off :D

s-barker

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:44:29 pm »
Paul Kinder clean

I have a got a lot to learn, £190 for cleaning??

what are you going toclean for £190 ?

S.
Simes

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:52:37 pm »
A suite and a small lounge carpet probably.  It's that simple :)

s-barker

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:43:50 pm »
honest?

would that take a day? Jim how long have you been cleaning for? are you in the south?

I'am lokking at cleaners in the north to get price examples, the papers round my area look very cheap compared to you but they do look crazy cuts prices thoogh.
Leeds in a good area I may look to advertising there.

S.
Simes

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:48:19 pm »
I'd estimate around 3 hours to do and Jim is pricing simular to me and I'm in Sheffield so not far away from you.

You need to get your head aroung pricing as it could make or break you.

Leeds is a very good area but only of you cherry pick.

Shaun

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:47 pm »
I love doing NN they have made a big difference for just a few pennies.

I also do what Chris does cos he mentioned it a few weeks back and done a few quotes now after I finished a job. :)

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
the business card through the letter thing when quoting sounds like a good idea, might start doing that ;)

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 09:18:16 pm »
Russell,

So what's wrong with the NN? ???

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 09:22:26 pm »
nothing i've just started doing them, just seeing what peoples opinion of them is, but il start doing the business card thing too

Jim_77

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 11:34:26 pm »
honest?

would that take a day? Jim how long have you been cleaning for? are you in the south?

I'am lokking at cleaners in the north to get price examples, the papers round my area look very cheap compared to you but they do look crazy cuts prices thoogh.
Leeds in a good area I may look to advertising there.

S.

Totally honest!  That'd be around 4-5 hours work for me with a portable set up.  Plus VAT.

I'm in the midlands, a small-ish town with some affluent areas and half-decent rural prospects.  I also have Corby on my patch, which is like an overgrown Glasgow council estate (they shipped all the jocks down there in the 50s and 60s to work at British Steel).  I don't do much work in Corby itself but the peripheral parts are OK.

I've been going a while but nowhere near as long as some.  However, don't get into the mindset that you can only charge cheap when you first start and then charge higher when you're established.  As long as you are properly trained and are providing good value for money then charging premium prices is a no-brainer.

Absolutely IGNORE those bulls**t adverts, they are either con artists who have no intention of walking away with 10 quid for cleaning a carpet, or unfortunately they are in the other category.  I think this is going to be a real problem for our industry over the next year or two... guys new to the game who are honest and want to do a good job, will see these ridiculous low prices advertised and think that this is the industry average.

They are going to start up charging the same or possibly a pound less.... but will be trying to do proper work for those prices and end up either going under or giving up on doing a proper job and become a cowboy like the others.  They don't realise that the low price adverts are complete BS.

Don't think of what you earn in an hour as being your "wage" because it isn't.  It'll take you a couple of years to fully realise just how much of that job price gets absorbed by your costs.  If you can run at a 50% profit margin you're doing OK.

Joe H

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 07:51:42 am »
Not so much a neighbour nudge but encouraging any way.
Went to do a stairs/landing 3 weeks ago - not in :(

Decided to use the time to drop some leaflets.
Picked on a road not even been down before - nice houses and bungalows - long walk between :(

Only dropped about 80 leaflets. ???

Next day got a call - went out to price up - bungalow, no stairs - £175 - job booked  :)
Took me  just over 3 hours with some chit chat with householder.

Later the same afternoon, got a call. Where is your property? I ask. Was in the same area. I just been in that area this morning, I said.  I know, was the reply.
Yep - it was the next door neighbour - another bungalow, no stairs.
Did quote over the phone.
Booked in for next Friday - £255  ;D

Its out there.

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:42 am »
Jim, i got one of the cheap guys to clean one of my mates carpets and i would sort it out afterwards..............The guy QUOTED £30 to clean a L/rm and a bedroom..........the 2 of them came at the time requested, one Pre spray the other set up no vac!!!

They then cleeaned the 2 carpets as they done this my mate asked if they could clean the front Hall at the same time ....lol.....it took them 30mins :o :o :o they then got therer 30.00 and went!!!

As i said to him the stains will come back when DRY and they did.........so there is guys out there that will clean cheap but you get what you pay for......The worse bit is he as been going for 10 years ....... :o :o :o :o.......The spay guy did say that they were quiet finished for 3pm......
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

s-barker

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:35 pm »
Had Advance Chemdry round today to give me a quote for my 3peace suite cleaned and carpet cleaned. So many different prices I got confused but

To clean suite £150 plus vat or add £80 plus vat for aquaguard which is the same as scotchguard
Carpet cleaning was in 3 prices
clean £60 plus vat
clean and guard was £96 plus vat
clean guard and bacteria cleam £112 plus vat

So for £400 I could have my settee and 2 chairs cleaned with aquaguarded and carpet cleaned and guarded with some bacteria disinfectant, does that seem about right?

Quite a nice bloke the same that was on telly not a salesman though.

Simes

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 08:26:58 am »
forking expensive, but good price for the industry, if ya know what i mean ;)

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 08:33:14 am »
Had Advance Chemdry round today to give me a quote for my 3peace suite cleaned and carpet cleaned. So many different prices I got confused but

To clean suite £150 plus vat or add £80 plus vat for aquaguard which is the same as scotchguard
Carpet cleaning was in 3 prices
clean £60 plus vat
clean and guard was £96 plus vat
clean guard and bacteria cleam £112 plus vat
hi, do you know what process he was going to use to clean the suite?

So for £400 I could have my settee and 2 chairs cleaned with aquaguarded and carpet cleaned and guarded with some bacteria disinfectant, does that seem about right?

Quite a nice bloke the same that was on telly not a salesman though.

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 08:34:05 am »
do you know what type of cleaning process he was going to use on the suite?