Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rugby

vauxhall vans are crap
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:03:53 pm »
   i have always had transits, but around 18 months or so ago i bought a  3 year old vauxhall movano,and i have loved it, great van to drive. but i have heard so many bad things about the reliability of the movano-master  vivaro-traffic etc that their has always been a little worry at the back of my mind.

well i was right to worry,this poxy van is starting to cost money left right and centre, the gear box is playing up" a common movano fault" and is going to cost an arm and leg,at least £1000. and now the high pressure fuel pump has gone " a common movano fault" and the cost of replacing this pump and all the other work that goes with it could come in at around £2000.

with a bill of at least £3000 it might pay me to just write it off,so if anyone is thinking of getting a movano-master    vivaro-traffic   my advice is dont.

Re: vauxhall vans are crap
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:07:37 pm »
   i have always had transits, but around 18 months or so ago i bought a  3 year old vauxhall movano,and i have loved it, great van to drive. but i have heard so many bad things about the reliability of the movano-master  vivaro-traffic etc that their has always been a little worry at the back of my mind.

well i was right to worry,this poxy van is starting to cost money left right and centre, the gear box is playing up" a common movano fault" and is going to cost an arm and leg,at least £1000. and now the high pressure fuel pump has gone " a common movano fault" and the cost of replacing this pump and all the other work that goes with it could come in at around £2000.

with a bill of at least £3000 it might pay me to just write it off,so if anyone is thinking of getting a movano-master    vivaro-traffic   my advice is dont.

bit like my relay, engine ceased at 31k on clock, then calpiers went near on £700 + labour, door jammed (hammer as I had enough with it) all fixed now but it owes me quite a lot of money now, I am sticking with transits now

R.V.A Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:35:01 pm »
I have a ten year old nissan vanette, in the last 5 years it has cost me loads in new parts, 4 new tyres £160, new head light £160 & new exhaust £220. Thats £540 in only 5 years, the vans got to go! what would you recommend ;D ::)
In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:38:37 pm »
I have a ten year old nissan vanette, in the last 5 years it has cost me loads in new parts, 4 new tyres £160, new head light £160 & new exhaust £220. Thats £540 in only 5 years, the vans got to go! what would you recommend ;D ::)
if it has only cost you £540 in 5 years I would keep it as long as it is not a rust bucket.

The words that came out of a garages mouth not mine that any thing french seems to be there best customer, I having spent way over £2000 this year on my relay I would tend to agree with them.

Tranist or Vauxhall from what they say are the vans they least see in there

R.V.A Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:42:02 pm »
if it has only cost you £540 in 5 years I would keep it as long as it is not a rust bucket.

The words that came out of a garages mouth not mine that any thing french seems to be there best customer, I having spent way over £2000 this year on my relay I would tend to agree with them.

Tranist or Vauxhall from what they say are the vans they least see in there

Its as tidy as it was from new (well almost) And yes i am keeping it ;)

Next van for me will be a TOYOTA
In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king

bigsi41

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
The most popular van I keep here people raving about is the Toyota Hi-ace .

geefree

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:30:33 pm »
i bought a transit after two months of umming and arring.... i hace had it a month or so now and i love it... very strong, easy to drive and it doesnt even realise yet, that it has a tank full of water in it  :D

granted i have only just bought it , so i wont count my chickens yet..

but every mechanic and his dog warned me off the vivaros others....

they all said the same... gearbox and engine faults.... they all advised me .. transit,,, parts easy to buy/find... easy to work on, etc etc etc.

i am happy at the moment but time will tell.

ronnie paton

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:56:03 pm »
had a vivaro for two years and cost nothing apart from a regular service, had a transit(all though it was high milage, it cost 3k in a year and a half around double what it was worth,)

WCE

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 12:14:20 pm »
Forget em all! Transporter is king!
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Slash

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
I have a Transit but they do rust quickly,mine is 4 years old and showing signs already!

Steve CM

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:41:12 pm »
i have a 05 vivaro and 02 transit

i much prefer the transit! its an 02 plate, has a couple of scabs on the seals but its truely ro bust. its slower than the vivaro, uglier than the vivaro but the vivaro is just not robust enough. it also had to have a new head at 45k! the warrenty paid for it so i didn't but even still...all my next vans will be transits ...much more room in the back as well!

NWH

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »
Transits are ugly even the new ones,they look lovley from the front but the back is the same as it`s always been as square as a brick.If you buy a new 1 it`ll only cost you the deisel to take it back to the garage for them to fix it for nothing,if you buy a second hand van your buying someone elses abused work horse even if it has 30-40k on the clock.3-4k in repair bills is ridiculous,get a new 1 and save yourself money.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 04:09:37 pm »
Transits are ugly even the new ones,they look lovley from the front but the back is the same as it`s always been as square as a brick.If you buy a new 1 it`ll only cost you the deisel to take it back to the garage for them to fix it for nothing,if you buy a second hand van your buying someone elses abused work horse even if it has 30-40k on the clock.3-4k in repair bills is ridiculous,get a new 1 and save yourself money.

Not everyone can afford to buy new or want to be spending £200+ per month on a new van
when buying any vehicle new or old you take a risk it is going to break down or need some kind of repair you can use your judgement when buying second hand and get a good van that will do you for years with no problems
Maybe when someone is established with a good round and bringing in good money then buying new is an option but you still need to earn the money either way dont overstreach yourselves needlessly

NWH

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 04:14:33 pm »
That`s terrible business sense leaving yourself open to 3-4k bills for your work vehicle,that`s the first most important thing to get sorted.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:19:21 pm »
Its also terrible business sense to spend money you dont have wait until the business can afford it
Spending money we dont have is why the banks are all failing

And not all repair bills amount to 3-4k you have to be seriously unlucky to get a bill like that or they saw you coming

NWH

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 04:27:56 pm »
had a vivaro for two years and cost nothing apart from a regular service, had a transit(all though it was high milage, it cost 3k in a year and a half around double what it was worth,)
::) ::) ;D

Dean Aspects

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 04:31:57 pm »
Back on topic i have a Transit and its a great van heard too many sob stories about Vivaros although i do like them

::) ::) ;D

;) ;D

rugby

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 05:07:26 pm »
being unlucky has nothing to do with it, its a simple fact im afraid, that the vivaro and movano and the renualt versions have very serious in built faults, the bosch high pressure fuel  pump and the gear box are not up to the job of a Commercial vehicle,and can break down in the most looked after of vans.

vauxhall and renualt are well aware of the problem,its been with these vans from day one,i have a friend that owns a fairly large commercial van repair centre " not friendly enough to give me discount though" and he told me he wouldnt touch a movano with a barge pole, he says they never have any problem with movano-vivaro body work,in this department they are fantastic vans,but he says in the engine-gear box department they are simply a joke. he sometimes has to carry out this work on very low milage vans,and since these jobs can cost up to £3000 this is simply shocking.

by the way, when i first couldnt start the van i called out the AA, he knew exactly what the problem was,hed seen it so many times before.

buyers beware, the engines in these vans are very poor, buy at your own peril.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 05:41:15 pm »
That`s terrible business sense leaving yourself open to 3-4k bills for your work vehicle,that`s the first most important thing to get sorted.

It took me a couple of old estate car "unreliability" problems to bite the bullet and get a brand  new van. (Fiat Doblo) 2 years ago. Should have done it years ago - I reckon a reliable fuel efficient van earns me 25% more in less bills and downtime.

For me the peace of mind/extra productivity/tax break/fuel economy/lower road tax all added together far outweigh the depreciation.
It's a game of three halves!

Steve CM

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »

what happens when your vivaro is in the garage for 3 weeks while the head is being skimmed? you still need to buy a reliable van wether it has manufacturers warreny or not ;)

i do agree with you on the new van though. it makes perfect business sense and when i upgrade thats what i'll be doing, but you still need to buy a reliable van in the first place otherwise you'll have lots and lots of lost revenue!!!!