This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wightsurf

hot water heater
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:11:48 pm »
I have been looking at going hot.Would this be of any use,it says that it is vent free and has a safety system which looks good as well as not needing any power ie batteries.But im not sure about the gas or fitting can some help on this please.

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-gpm-tankless-gas-water-heater-LPG-VentFree-10003P1_W0QQitemZ300262972801QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300262972801&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Captain Scarlet

Re: hot water heater
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:23:09 pm »
well its 1.6 gallon per minute, thats more than enough for a 100psi shurlfo pump. But Im not sure what this means

"What is Vent-Free?  A Vent-Free appliance can be installed inside and does not require cumbersome and costly  installation of  flues and ductwork because it is  outfitted with  state of the art  ODS  (Oxygen Depletion Safety shutoff device)"

I could see it turning off in a small space, so what does it do with the excess gas after combustion!!?
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 09:24:48 pm »
hang on just found a downfall

"20 minute shutoff temporizer: The unit will cut off gas flow after 20 minutes of continuos operation, this means that  user has to  close and reopen faucet/shower fixture to reset the 20 minute timer."

you dont want to be running back to the van to turn it back on!!
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

wightsurf

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »
From what i had read you don't turn it on as it turns on when the water starts to run which turns a turbine to start the flame. I think that the other diy hot water people systems turn off after 20 mins also from what i had read.

Mr H

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:39:03 pm »
hang on just found a downfall

"20 minute shutoff temporizer: The unit will cut off gas flow after 20 minutes of continuos operation, this means that  user has to  close and reopen faucet/shower fixture to reset the 20 minute timer."

you dont want to be running back to the van to turn it back on!!

To me that just means turn the water flow off. Not often you have the WFP flowing for 20 minutes continuously. Usually gets turned off after every window. If it works it would be a minor issue when doing conservatory roofs........

Strangly enough I was talking to a caravan fitter earlier today and he said a standard caravan shower system would work ok for wfp...... Only downside to that was it needed a 5gallon tank to heat ....... This one would be ideal...... Now... Wheres Nathan Jones when you need him... lol

Regards
Mr H

wightsurf

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:42:06 pm »
Mr H
This is what i was hoping..Quote

Now... Wheres Nathan Jones when you need him...

Mr H

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 09:48:07 pm »
Mr H
This is what i was hoping..Quote

Now... Wheres Nathan Jones when you need him...

Set him a message to look in ASAP.... lol

wightsurf

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:03:55 pm »
It would be good if this heater is of any use, Not needing a vent makes things a bit easyer and cheaper.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:26:08 pm »
Vent free systems are designed to be fitted outdoors or in well ventilated spaces. It'll work in a van, but you'll need to leave the doors open.
Personally I prefer the look of the eccotemp L5 unit (on ebay again) as it has a very low minimum flow rate, and perfect power output for 1 man wfp. The heater I hae at the moment is great for the summer, but I'm worried that even at minimum power it's a bit too hot to use in the depths of winter,.. and I was planning to replace it with an L5.
I plan on fabricating a basic extractor hood to place over the top of the unit with a 12v fan to suck the fumes up out the roof vent. A simple relay will allow the fan to switch on only when the wfp pump is running.

The 20 minute cutout is annoying. As has been said, stopping the flow of water at the brush will cause the heater to cut out and reset the heater back to 20 mins,... the problem is that with 100mtrs of hose and a relatively small flow rate, it takes quite a while before the flow through the heater is reduced enough for the heater to switch off. To reduce this delay, I've turned down the pressure switch on my pump to 70PSI,.. still plenty enough to get to the top of a 60' pole.
A better solution would be a remote control for the pump,.. 1 click of a keyfob button and the flow stops, heater is reset ready for another 20 mins, and 1/2 a second later you can switch it straight back on again and keep working. I'm still experimenting with remotes though,.. very unimpressed with the ones off ebay so far.

wightsurf

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:38:49 pm »
What temp do you feel would be ideal to work with in the winter.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 10:48:45 am »
On real frosty mornings I'd try to stick below 30 degrees. If the water in your tank has been there overnight it's prob only 4 or 5 degree's anyway, so a heater that will give a rise of 20 degree's at your desired flow rate is what you want.

wightsurf

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 03:15:56 pm »
Nathanael
I have looked on Ebay at the L5 unit and the only one i can find is in the usa and it does state they send worldwide but when i emailed them they said sorry not to here Uk. can you put a link up to the ones you have found so i can contact them if different supplier.
Many thaks
Martin

wightsurf

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 04:01:24 pm »
I have found them under lpg showers  :)
Are you sure these will be upto the job,as they seem alot cheaper than other lpg water heaters on the market?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 04:49:09 pm »
They are fairly basic units,.. but they seem to do the job!

The only problem is connecting a vent/flue,... but thats nothing major.

twt

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 07:38:08 pm »
i have this heater it works fine you don't need to worry about the 20 minute timer as the heater starts and stops every time you start and stop the flow of water. Only worry is even on minimum heat setting the water comes out at about 50 degrees c and this may cause problems in winter with windows cracking unless it is countered by heat loss through hose.

wightsurf

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 07:40:22 pm »
philip
Do you have the L5 shower unit from the usa?

matt

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 08:01:29 pm »
vent free will be ok with a van with vents cut in the roof

you can get powered 12 V vents that will suck the fumes out

surely ? ? ? ?

wightsurf

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 08:04:51 pm »
Matt got to ask are you a vw camper fan,split or bay  ::)

matt

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 08:24:48 pm »
Matt got to ask are you a vw camper fan,split or bay  ::)

splitscreen :) its parked in my garage right now, fully restored, got a little work to do on the insides ( new seat covers look really nice, not on yet though ), also got 2 jobs to do for the MOT aswell

wightsurf

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 08:38:36 pm »
My mate vw mad , keeps spending money after money on it and it still don't run ,lol he's got to have a engine rebuild ,panels welded on,respary and it don't stop there as you know.
You have to post a pic so i can show him.