This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

Re: DIY cctv problems
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 02:22:08 pm »
Jeff, just done a twenty mile round trip for a connector to reduce the dc in, charged my battery all night on smart charger and connected up guess what? Nothing! What should i do? I have thought maybe the polarity of my battery could be the opposite way round god knows.  ::)
I hope its polarity protected :o

If its working on mains then your battery polarity is the wrong way somewhere and it won't work.
Make sure your soldering is ok and not short circuiting, check the little sybols again just to make sure your wired correctly.

Stick a close up picture if you can of the connection with the symbol.

ftp

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 02:33:45 pm »
Getting close to giving up now really had enough today. Even snipped the connecter from the charger and re-attatched to the battery cable and it doesn't want to know. I don't think it is compatable with the battery for some reason. Next door neighbour is an electrician and doen't have a clue (not interested). Thanks for listening Jeff but the whole lot could be propelled towards the nearest wall anytime soon.  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 02:44:51 pm »
Getting close to giving up now really had enough today. Even snipped the connecter from the charger and re-attatched to the battery cable and it doesn't want to know. I don't think it is compatable with the battery for some reason. Next door neighbour is an electrician and doen't have a clue (not interested). Thanks for listening Jeff but the whole lot could be propelled towards the nearest wall anytime soon.  ;D
Don't give up to soon, try a 9v battery the battery your using may not be up to the Job, rechargables arn't my cup of tea for heavy consumption items,the 9v may just give you a glimps of the picture before you drain it.
If you can, connect it to your car battery that will be man enough for test purposes.

ftp

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 03:07:43 pm »
Yes, little 9v fires it up! So why won't my NiMH start it? Hmmmm The jack seems a little shorter than the one i soldered yesterday, maybe it's not connecting.

Kevin R

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »
This is why bought in bits are easier. How much time have you spent trying to adapt technology? Your time has a value.

Is this the end of the problems? possibly not, have you considered low winter light, rain, lens condensation, electrical interference etc etc.

Don't get me wrong Im not knocking you for trying, in fact its the opposite but if your really busy and realise getter cleaning is a valuable add on service then bought in equipment is the only way to go.

ftp

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 05:28:14 pm »
Don't Kev, i'm near the limit.

jeff1

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 05:40:22 pm »
This is why bought in bits are easier. How much time have you spent trying to adapt technology? Your time has a value.

Is this the end of the problems? possibly not, have you considered low winter light, rain, lens condensation, electrical interference etc etc.

Don't get me wrong Im not knocking you for trying, in fact its the opposite but if your really busy and realise getter cleaning is a valuable add on service then bought in equipment is the only way to go.
Well I bought all the bits for mine Kev and its worked from day one and is still working earning me money. ;D

Yes, little 9v fires it up! So why won't my NiMH start it? Hmmmm The jack seems a little shorter than the one i soldered yesterday, maybe it's not connecting.
Using the 9v tells me the re-chargable battery your using may not be upto the Job, it could have run flat, so will no longer hold the capacity it was designed for.
OR
The jack has to make 2 connections, 1= is the center pin and 2 the outer case, sometimes there is a little lug inside that the outer case, the outer  case press's on to it, to make the connection, try and wobble the jack to see if you get a connection, if you do then the pin is to short.

ftp

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 05:46:44 pm »
The 9v is a rechargeable one too it's the one i power the camera with. The NiMh still powers my twelve watt bike lights so it seems to have power. I'm going to solder a different jack, open the centre post a tad and try again later.
The camera is now mounted to an angle adapter and ready to go and looks pretty good. Tried it in complete darkness last night and was very impressed.

jeff1

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »
The 9v is a rechargeable one too it's the one i power the camera with. The NiMh still powers my twelve watt bike lights so it seems to have power. I'm going to solder a different jack, open the centre post a tad and try again later.
The camera is now mounted to an angle adapter and ready to go and looks pretty good. Tried it in complete darkness last night and was very impressed.
Then its defenetly your Jack plug, try to bend the center lug just a tiny bit but not to much.

There good in the dark provided youre close up, this sometimes helps when there's bad light, also when you use it you may get to much glare from bright sunlight, if this happens just turn your camera around and come from the other direction.

ftp

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 06:04:18 pm »
Thanks Jeff i'll keep you posted.

Kev, i know what you are saying makes sense but you are at the top of the ladder if you like, where i haven't made the bottom rung so £800 for the omnicam although undoubtedly excellent if out of my reach.

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 06:06:38 pm »
Thanks Jeff i'll keep you posted.

Kev, i know what you are saying makes sense but you are at the top of the ladder if you like, where i haven't made the bottom rung so £800 for the omnicam although undoubtedly excellent if out of my reach.
Are you serious £800 for a wireless camera ??  :o

ftp

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 06:07:50 pm »
I think it's more than a camera - i might have interpreted it wrong but have a look at their site.

jeff1

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 06:13:25 pm »
It has a dvd recorder on it as well.

ftp

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 07:34:08 pm »
Up and running yey!

Kevin R

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 07:35:51 pm »
Its not wireless - which means no interference no matter where your working - It works in low and bright light, is waterproof and the images can be recorded there and then and played back. All powered by rechargeable batteries that last all day! wow and so so much more.

£800 Plus VAT - but for a complete solution in a hard waring and totally reliable package that will work in all conditions its simply the business.

I did the DIY camera thing, and for commercial work day in day out it just wouldn't cut it. They are great for simple fair weather jobs but as soon as you put a DIY camera into a dark box gutter on an overcast day its as good as useless. Also the Omnicam is narrow and can be introduced into downpipes, drains etc  and it still provides reliable images.

Save you money and buy the best tool for the job.  

jeff1

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:12 pm »
Nice one ftp, was it the Jack plug?

Nice and dark outside now, go and test your guttering with it and come back to tell kev that they do work in the dark ;D ;D

ftp

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 07:42:12 pm »
Quote from: Kevin R

[quote

I've got to make money first then think about saving it.  ;D

ftp

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »
Yes Jeff the jack plug thanks for helping out - was getting in a pickle for a while. I don't know how it's going to stand up, seems to view the gutters allright even at night. Hard bit is directing the pole at the moment. Lots to learn.

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 07:46:24 pm »
Its not wireless - which means no interference no matter where your working - It works in low and bright light, is waterproof and the images can be recorded there and then and played back. All powered by rechargeable batteries that last all day! wow and so so much more.

£800 Plus VAT - but for a complete solution in a hard waring and totally reliable package that will work in all conditions its simply the business.

I did the DIY camera thing, and for commercial work day in day out it just wouldn't cut it. They are great for simple fair weather jobs but as soon as you put a DIY camera into a dark box gutter on an overcast day its as good as useless. Also the Omnicam is narrow and can be introduced into downpipes, drains etc  and it still provides reliable images.

Kev, for give me if I am wrong but £800 for a little cam is way over priced, can I ask what you get with the cam please, the reason I ask you could get a high quality dvd camcorder for less than half that price and would give spot free pics, do you get all the pole etc with the cam, sorry but am findoing it hard to see how a cam can cost £800 in this day and age.

Ian

jeff1

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 08:06:22 pm »
Yes Jeff the jack plug thanks for helping out - was getting in a pickle for a while. I don't know how it's going to stand up, seems to view the gutters allright even at night. Hard bit is directing the pole at the moment. Lots to learn.
get some Self Amalgamating Tape and tape up the plugs to make them waterproof.

Rest your pole base on your hip for support and rest the top of the pole on the guttering edge for more support, gently slide it along to view steady images.