Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matt

Re: Wfp in freezing weather
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
ive worked at minus 2 on a comercail job, the water hit the floor and turned to ice, i then decided to sqeegee the doors and call it a day, my mop stuck to the door  ::) ::) i looked a right clown when i had to go into the place and ask from some antifreeze screenwash ;)

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 10:24:55 pm »
So i could get a frozen pole that could stop me working. How many days last winter could you not work because of freezing conditions?
LESS THAN AN HOUR BIRDY, and I added nothing to my water, as said it was top of pole the froze, I always carry bags of salt in the winter for a safety measure.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 10:30:15 pm »
Birdy take your bacpack indoors over night along with 2x20L containers of water, it will help when its really low temps in the mornings. I used a small ammount of Iso and it helps prevent the jets freezing up when they hit the freezing air but the bristles usually freeze first at around -3 degrees. ) note I use a bypass system that mixes the Iso in the container automatically.
If its that cold stay indoors for a bit and work later into the dark nights.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:27 pm »
I left a wfpole resting against a custies bedroom sill once, drove off and realised what I had done when I got home. Phoned the custie to leave it by her back door but she couldn't remove it because it had froze to the sill late that evening. Next morning I was up a ladder with a kettle of boiling water trying to de-ice my brush head from the sill. Had to leave it on top of a flat roof for the pole hose to thaw out for at least an hour in the sun. ;D

matt

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:49 pm »
i had about 2 inches of ice in the top of my barrels at the start of this year ( i would just poke the hose though and carry on ;))

Ian W

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:06 am »
i had about 2 inches of ice in the top of my barrels at the start of this year ( i would just poke the hose though and carry on ;))

You should have used isopropanol Matt  ;D
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

matt

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:02:35 am »

You should have used isopropanol Matt  ;D

tell me more, ive never heard of this stuff, it must be great  ;D ;D ;D

pjulk

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 01:03:47 pm »
In the winter this is where a trolley or backpack are a godsend.

Last year i had the pumps and pipes on my van system freeze up but as i also have a trolley i can bring that in at night and use that if the van is frozen.

But you still get the pole hose freezing whilst using it and thats when WFP is buggered.

Then i go back to ladders and only stop if the water starts to freeze when i use my applicator.

This year if my van freezes im not mucking about trying to defrost it i lost too much time the last couple of years doing that im going straight back to ladders.

matt

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 04:31:28 pm »
this is where a pump box / board coming in handy, just bring it in from your car / van at night

then attach it back to your van / trolley in the morning

i know some1 who lines up 4 25 L barrels next to the lounge rad at night from end of oct -- march ;)

Tosh

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 04:42:02 pm »
i know some1 who lines up 4 25 L barrels next to the lounge rad at night from end of oct -- march ;)

Wor Lass would never allow that!

I bring the backpack in at night after it once froze on me (no damage was done) and I had to defrost it with warm water.

My barrels, I generally load them into the car the night before.

Oh, I also take my brush head and pole hose in (I use an external hose), because once on my first job on a freezing morning, I went to wash a window and heard a 'thunk'; it was the sound of a solidly frozen brush head hitting the window like a big chuck of ice.

Winter is a pain!

john tomkins

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 05:36:10 pm »
Someone who uses isopropanol, put it in pure water in a container at the exact same ratio as you do in the tank, and put it in the freezer and see if it turns to ice, if it don't..... I'm convinced ;D

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 05:38:39 pm »
I'll post whatever i like thank you very much, untill someone can convince me that a massive coke can of ipa in five hundred litres of water works in minus four i won't be wasting my money. It's no good coming out with these claims if they don't stand up to reasoning. I agree that it will lower the freezing point of water but not in those quantities.
As for the rest of the year my windows are clean and shiney so why bother to add it? Pure water works or haven't you noticed the gleaming windows it produces?
If you think it works then tell me EXACTLY how such a tiny amount can change the properties of water.

Until now I hadnt read any of the recent IPA threads. But today I was thinking to myself with it being so cold " i will need to check out ipa, to see if it works" but then i thought, well what % will raise the freezing temperature. so I thought I might have to google it or do a test with my freezer and different percentages.

Anyway I dont need to do any tests now, the facts on paper from FTPS link are you need 10% IPA to stop freezing in winter. Well thats a ridiculous amount of IPA. But Im also not silly enough to presume I know it all. Something else could be at play here. Something not quite understood by us as Window Cleaners, so I will be checking it out and if it freezes, then I wont be using it anymore, but I hold my opinion until then, despite the "facts". thank you goodnight!!!
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Sir Squeaky

gary999

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 06:28:42 pm »
bbbrrrrr!!its just like the artic ::) amount of time i lost last year due to freezing weather was not even worth worrying about,if it ends up that bloody cold and
everywhere is frozen ,ipa or no ipa i wont be splashing water about anyway :)

STEVE-UK

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »
when working a couple of years ago it wasnt cold enough to freeze the van but the wind chill was cold, the water started freezing on the glass and the pavements ended up being sheets of glass. dont forget your rock salt!!

Dave Turley

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 10:21:26 am »
i'm amazed you lot are still on about freezing pipes etc, when you can get warm (hot) water on demand for£250??

carry some salt for pathways and bob's your auntie's husband   ;)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:39 am »
carry some salt for pathways and bob's your auntie's husband   ;)
Cover my path with skiddy unsightly salt and I'd sack you. ;)

gary999

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 11:34:06 am »
go to agree salt and even grit underfoot can be as slippy as ice
have seen many a person take a tumble slipping on it

Dave Turley

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 12:13:39 pm »
well I ain't not working in winter... I would rather put salt (not brown rock salt) than have a claim on my hands

AuRavelling79

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 12:44:27 pm »
i'm amazed you lot are still on about freezing pipes etc, when you can get warm (hot) water on demand for£250??

Tell me about how I can do it for £250 please - I could justify doing that.
It's a game of three halves!