Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

birdymiller

Wfp in freezing weather
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:02 pm »
Ive just about converted all my round to wfp, just using ladders for flat roofs. Happy with wfp just wondering how the freezing frosts wiil effect my setup. I use 25l barrels and a backpack. What can i expect when its 0 degrees, will anything work. Do you start later or can the whole day be written off. Any tips would be appreciated :)

Re: Wfp in freezing weather
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:50:18 pm »
Ive just about converted all my round to wfp, just using ladders for flat roofs. Happy with wfp just wondering how the freezing frosts wiil effect my setup. I use 25l barrels and a backpack. What can i expect when its 0 degrees, will anything work. Do you start later or can the whole day be written off. Any tips would be appreciated :)
cue NWH, you can use a printers wetting agent, a back pack should be fine though, but you will get answers to this I cant remember the spelling, I think it is isoprofinal (something like that)

Ian

p.s I have never used it

NWH

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »
Buy 5 litres of Isopropanol for about £10-£15 and add a can of coke full per 500ltrs,the water will bubble up on the glass as if it has detergent in it when the bubbling stops add some more.If you don`t run the tank dry you will get longer out of it,i find out of the above measure i get about 2000ltrs of working water with it.The first thing to freeze in the winter is the Y peice on the brush and the jets,Iso stops this as soon as you add it to your water.

ftp

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »
impossible.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:05:47 pm »

ftp

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:13:35 pm »
www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ispropanol-water-d_988.html

You are using 285ml per 500l tank of water which is 0.057% - work it out numpty
There is not enough to make a blind bit of difference to the freezing properties of your water - look at the chart.
When you add screen wash to your vans windscreen washer system how much do you add to stop it freezing in the jets?

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:42 pm »
impossible.
ftp have you ever tryed ipa in your water ? i dont think you have your response when ipa ever gets mentionend is allways negative , why ?
where theres muck theres money

ftp

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:22:32 pm »
Why? because i used it for thirty years in the print trade. It's used as a wetting agent at 12% in water at no more than nine degrees. If you look at the charts (any) you will see it can't possibly stop your water freezing in such small quantities it's just not enough.
At minus four degrees (not particularly cold) you will need ten percent alcohol and more - work out what ten percent is of your tank.

birdymiller

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:28:22 pm »
So i could get a frozen pole that could stop me working. How many days last winter could you not work because of freezing conditions?

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 09:36:26 pm »
have you ever used it in your water while cleaning windows in freezing weather ???????????  no             have you ever used it while cleaning windows ??????????? no     reason i know you havent is that you allways give a negative response , if you had used it your response would be positive when using for window cleaning and not printing .

ftp

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 09:39:58 pm »
You obviously can't read then, it's there in black and white why can't you understand that?
If you want to stop your screen washers freezing you have to double the concentration not add a pinhead of methonal.

steven ainger

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:46:07 pm »
i think that i have read somewhere that pure water freeze at a differant temperature to tap water  ???  so if this is true, will the smaller amount of iso make a greater differance.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 09:49:21 pm »
You obviously can't read then, it's there in black and white why can't you understand that?
look mate ive seen what the charts say and ive got to disagre with them , ive used the stuff in my tank for over twelve months now , at the begining of this year 2 of my mates lost work due to frozen pipes while i was out working , wonder why this was all i was doing diffrent was adding ipa to my water .

ftp

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:13 pm »
So you defy all laws of science?

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »
i think that i have read somewhere that pure water freeze at a differant temperature to tap water  ???  so if this is true, will the smaller amount of iso make a greater differance.
think i read on the traing academy that jeff i think did a little experiment using tap water & pure put 2 glasses in the freezer and they both froze more or less the same he didnt use ipa so i will try it using ipa then post my findings , perhaps ftp minght want to try aswell .

ftp

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:15 pm »
Whilst your at it, watch how it sits on top of your water if you don't mix it. Don't forget you only want 0.057% in your glass to replicate your van! Of course if you add enough it will stop it freezing but that's my whole argument.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 10:04:41 pm »
So you defy all laws of science?
im not defying no laws mate , all im saying is that i use the stuff and it works , i know i will be working in the winter while a lot wont be , it wont be long before the topics start on what heater should i use , my pipes were frozen , i had to defrost , my pump was frozen , i take my ro in the house at night so it wont freeze ...  i use ipa mate and it prevents this end of .

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 10:07:39 pm »
Of course if you add enough it will stop it freezing
i must be adding enough then .

matt

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 10:18:37 pm »
i cannot wait till it gets colder, we can have this discussion on a daily basis

;D ;D

all we need now is a " how much do you earn " poll, dont forget the over 500 quid a day option

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 10:20:32 pm »
The most likely thing to freeze up is the jets or Y  piece on your pole hose as it has the smallest diameter on any of your water carrying equipment. I use 6mm Y pieces and 2mm jet heads as they are half as likely to freeze up as a 2-4mm Y piece and 1mm jets left outside exposed to minus temperatures.

Pays to insulate pump in the van and possibly drain it the evening before freezing temperatures.

I'ved worked in minus 5 degrees at 6am with no problems but I'm fortunate I have a hot system so nice warm hands in the winter for me. I'm now using Gardiners thermal minibore hose which has extra insulation to hopefully prevent hose freezing up if really bad. Time will tell as I will try it with cold water when it gets below freezing to make the comparison.