Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lovewindows

pricing a job ?
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:38:32 pm »
1 x 4 storey apartment block [ 100+ windows] 8 x 3 storey apartment block [ 75+ windows ] approx 700 in total  [about 100 flats ] every 4 or 6 wks, quoting against another window cleaner dont know who ?, customers took over directorship of an estate and thinks previous estate management company where well overpriced , how would you guys price this ? by flat , by window ? This would be a cracking contract for me and it's only 5mins away. What do you reckon folks ?
dont look who's to blame, look how to fix it. anon

Dean Aspects

Re: pricing a job ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:41:53 pm »
I would do it on my day rate if you go in per window it could end up being too expensive figure out how long it would take to do all the work and go from there

lovewindows

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 07:47:09 pm »
How long do you reckon it would take , i'm a newbie ! and not got my speed up, going against some of the posts on here i'm a snail , ie 3 bed semi 20mins inc set up.

lovewindows

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:07:20 pm »
just moving it back to the top

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:40:53 pm »
You trad or wfp?

I would price per whole building, rather than individual flat or window. That way you would have insurance if say, the ground floor cancelled and left you the harder ones for the same rate.

I think (and no offence) that as you are newbie you might be tempted to  underprice or underestimate the time it will take to do.
If i was quoting, i would think up a flat rate per window to give me a rough ballpark figure to work with. I would then add on extra for any windows that were awkward or out of ladder reach.

austin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51:37 pm »
i would charge at least £5.00 a flat you should get it at that price should be done in less  than 2 days

Roger Slater

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:22:22 pm »
I do a similar job, 17 flats over 3 floors, takes 1 hour wfp £85 = £5 a flat.

Money for nowt.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 10:38:12 pm »
depends how big each flat is wether there are balconies.,..etc

but i would say £590.00

sahawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

steve a

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:59:15 am »
1 x 4 storey apartment block [ 100+ windows] 8 x 3 storey apartment block [ 75+ windows ] approx 700 in total  [about 100 flats ] every 4 or 6 wks, quoting against another window cleaner dont know who ?, customers took over directorship of an estate and thinks previous estate management company where well overpriced , how would you guys price this ? by flat , by window ? This would be a cracking contract for me and it's only 5mins away. What do you reckon folks ?

The problem with quoting for work like this is a lot of suppliers lok at the time it takes to actually clean the job and then price accordingly and it can be really cheap in perspective to pricing up per window or per flat.

For example, we would all like to get £5 per flat and I do on some jobs.
but the one above if you work it on time could be as little as £200, yes thats £2 per flat. Works like this usual speed with WFP is 2-3 windows per minute, call it 2windows per min.
 700 windows  = 350 mins @£0.50(thats £30 per hour) which equates to £175.00 add on 25 quid for messing about setting up and Voila cheap price, but paying £30 per hour.

Steve a

steve a

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:09:49 pm »

lovewindows

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:57:43 pm »
I always look at the top / first ones on the forum so by posting on my own message it moves it back and i get a better response ! 

ronnie paton

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 11:16:49 pm »
will i would go in at £700 if i didnt need the job £1 a window you do have 3ed and 4th storey windows.

I never price per flat, i have some that  work out at£2.80 per flat and some that work out £9.20 per flat.

foxy

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 04:50:36 pm »
you want £1200 mate. a months or 6 weeks of worth of dirt takes some shifting it'll take a full 8 or 10 hour day with a helper who knows his stuff. if you've got a wfd pole you need to inspect coz they are not all that at getting spiders webs and bird crap off. if they've got balconys you want more as you'll have to call around later (you can't get up a ladder and climb over the railings). if you're down south or london add 20%. it makes no difference that you are 5 mins away; don't let them know that or you'll get no peace at all. make the job worth doing; you want to be well compensated for getting the glass clean. if it is a 1st clean you need to do a walk around and point out any scratches etc on the glass or you may get charged for that. it sounds a good contract and good contracts are worth your while. don't underprice yourself. anyone can be a busy fool. best of luck. :)
traditional cleaner, shop windows and some pubs.

ronnie paton

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 08:46:10 pm »
some figures are crazy what happened to a honest days living....

fair enough some jobs i can earn up to 80phr thats rare though but i quoted and it takes me 2 hours ...although its a 4am start.

but some people arent happy with 30-40phr

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Busby

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 09:14:21 pm »
If you want the job, put a pathetic price in & obviously like most window cleaners = do a S--T job.

I always say when i price work, there are 2 quotes

one price if you want it done properly

& another price for same s--t job most other window cleaners provide.

I priced up a restraunt in manchester, 4 weeks ago & know for a fact the other manchester window cleaner who comes on here.

I went past the windows today & they were a f-----n mess.......... i went inside and spoke to manager who said, the head office chose the other price, so depends how much you want it pal.

If it is the manchester window cleaners cleaning it who went to quote when i was coming out of the building, they are S--T window cleaners, but got the job=================  so work it out mate  ???

lovewindows

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 09:24:43 pm »
you on one Archer ????????
So between £200 and £1200 ???????? quoted it yesterday, lower middle, waiting !!!!!! would be good for me as only 3 months in from starting and just trying to build, price quoted is good for me  and i think ok for custy [ getting into venacular now ] but time will tell .

spark1

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 10:11:18 pm »
One days work +abit more £300, tack your time and do the job well cant go wrong ;)
Sell yourself tell them you do a good job and all that. Good luck

steve a

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »
I am with the £300 quote.

£1200 fantastic pipe dream.
£700 2 cleans and your gone
£400 could be quite along contract
£300 = over £50 per hour and the customer will be happy providing you do a good job, contract is yours.
£200 still paying £30 per hour but you get p*ss*d off with it and probably move on.

Always Always talk to the residents if you see them and check they are happy with the service. You will be surprised by how many of them didn't even know they had a window cleaner, and some people even write to the managing agents to say that their windows have not been cleaned for xx number of months. Thes e people spoil it for others cos if you are making a good job and this t**t writes in and complains( for no reason other than they have never seen you clean them) then you could get the sack and they could end up with a proper cowboy.

So------- talk to the customers, ask them if they are happy, explain the system, and if someone complains you then have a little backup of happy customers to pass on to the managing agents and point out that you always get the awkward one

Stev a

Sorry about the rant but this has happened before and it aint gonna happen again.

alanwilson

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 02:14:40 am »
the apartment work we do is priced up by time - I have always priced them this way @ £35/hr per man but after the first clean they normally come closer to £50/hr per man.

£300 sounds right for whats listed
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!