This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

I want to take the plunge.
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:32:39 pm »
and get myself a website, but i dont know where to start.... lots of guys on here swear by the free ones... the same amount of guys also say you get nothing for nothing....

Ian is always helpful (windowwashers).... and i should ring him... but i have spoke to a few companies offering this and that, and its so confusing...

can someone please tell me where to start, ... even a free one looks complicated!!

loading all my info onto it,,, putting photos on it... then trying to get it up there in the search engines... that is what costs the most i think..

this forum is great for help, and simple to use .. as is George programme...

but sorting a website out is really doing my head in , as iam not big on computers.

sorry for sounding thick... even the free ones look a step too far for me... i always stop at the point where it says " lets get started"   ::)

jeff1

Re: i want to take the plunge.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:01 pm »
Gaz if I can do it I'm sure you can? I was the same as you, I just kept putting it off all the time until one day I took the plunge and started my own.

Concentrate on one page at a time, nobody's going to rush you, Have a look at other Guy's web-sites if you see something you like, try to incorparate it into yours, or ask permission if you want something off someone elses site (help yourself to anything off mine)

If you get stuck there is plenty of us here to help you along the way.

seandyer2003

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:43 pm »
i have never had alot of experience on websites although i was quite cpu literate, but i didnt know anything about seo either and managed to build a site and get it on search engines etc, it isnt always at no.1 but has been and isnt far off, i just read up alot, and tried different things, you just need a What you see is what you get web design package like dream weaver or the one i used you get a few weeks free its called "web page maker" you just drag and drop images and paste in text etc, and then pay a company to host it, and buy your domain(website name)...

Give it ago, and like you say ian is good at helping, he pointed me in the right direction with some of the seo in my code...

m.b.s.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:53:58 pm »
and get myself a website, but i dont know where to start.... lots of guys on here swear by the free ones... the same amount of guys also say you get nothing for nothing....

Ian is always helpful (windowwashers).... and i should ring him... but i have spoke to a few companies offering this and that, and its so confusing...

can someone please tell me where to start, ... even a free one looks complicated!!

loading all my info onto it,,, putting photos on it... then trying to get it up there in the search engines... that is what costs the most i think..

this forum is great for help, and simple to use .. as is George programme...

but sorting a website out is really doing my head in , as iam not big on computers.

sorry for sounding thick... even the free ones look a step too far for me... i always stop at the point where it says " lets get started"   ::)
ring ian windowwashers he did mine he speaks plane english m8 trust me worth the phone call tell him i sent you
heres mine he did
www.mbswindowcleaning.co.uk
let me know how you get on fella ;)

geefree

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:58:24 pm »
Thanks for your help lads once again...

i will have to do it as even one call... to end up monthly would surely pay for it....

do you get results , honestly.?

m.b.s.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 10:59:24 pm »
Thanks for your help lads once again...

i will have to do it as even one call... to end up monthly would surely pay for it....

do you get results , honestly.?
i have several

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:28:05 pm »
Gazza,..

I've found the easiest way to DIY a website that looks pro on a shoestring is to use a web template. You just substitute your own text and pics,... but the whole design & layout is already done for you.

I've got:
www.avondhucleaning.com
www.fer moycleaning.com (close the gap!)
www.cozyread.com

all done from templates.

The only one I've optimised for Google is the Avondhu cleaning one,.. but even the un-optimised ones rank ok. SEO is vital though to get real results, but ppl on here can talk you through it once the site is built.

www.templatemonster.com is the place to look.

geefree

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:38:08 pm »
thanks, for your help.  :D

geefree

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
Gazza,..

I've found the easiest way to DIY a website that looks pro on a shoestring is to use a web template. You just substitute your own text and pics,... but the whole design & layout is already done for you.

I've got:
www.avondhucleaning.com
www.fer moycleaning.com (close the gap!)
www.cozyread.com

all done from templates.

The only one I've optimised for Google is the Avondhu cleaning one,.. but even the un-optimised ones rank ok. SEO is vital though to get real results, but ppl on here can talk you through it once the site is built.

www.templatemonster.com is the place to look.

im really sorry...

i have just looked at all the links you provided.. and i am baffled.. also whats a SEO.

seandyer2003

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 06:04:25 pm »
seach engine optimization, it makes your site "search engine friendly" so that they will list your site near the top of search results for certain words or phrases ie "window cleaner manchester" "Commercial cleaner" or whatever you want, its done by placing phrases in the text, in the html, and some other more methods like putting your site on directories and other similar sites that link to you and in these ways you start to move up the search rankings, but it is very time consuming and sometimes frustrating - for me anyway :)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:17:03 pm »
Content is as important as SEO. Google loves text, so if you have a good bit of blurb on every page, and mention your keywords (Names of towns you work in and the services you provide) you will eventually get a good ranking without SEO. It does take time though,...

Roger Slater

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »
Get a pro to do it. You only get what you pay for, and don't believe some of the exagerated stats people claim to get with a diy site.

IMO

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:44:21 pm »
Get a pro to do it. You only get what you pay for, and don't believe some of the exagerated stats people claim to get with a diy site.

IMO

I got 5,574,439 hits on my diy site in the last year. I optimised it 2 weeks ago,... lets see what the next 12 months holds!

:)

geefree

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:59:23 pm »
thanks again... maybe i should simply take the plunge and start it up on a free one to begin with and see what happens....

its no joke... i really dont have a clue.  ;) ::)

tacky

Re: I want to take the plunge.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:10 pm »
i m the same as u gazzasp8.like what price per month or yr .is it or is their a web page site we can get it off . n u think u a r dumbfounded .. ps no insult intended .if iv said the wrong thing .

Nathanael Jones

Re: I want to take the plunge.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 09:36:15 pm »
I use www.letshost.ie for my domain names and hosting. Very cheap, and all the features,...