Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

johns window kleen

moral quandry
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »
Raining heavy on friday so picked up yellow pages and did some phone canvassing of care homes. Got a few breaks and going to give quotes to a couple who havent gota W/C.
However one large one {saw photo in the phone book} said theyve got one but I could visit and give a quote as competition healthy. I asked if they were happy with the present W/C the owner says yes, so I said it wasnt my policy to take work off of people if the customer was happy and they were as regular as they should be. This is a code I have stuck by since starting out.
The response was "well if thats how you want to run your business thats up to you" which is fair enough but it got me thinking am I a mug, or am i stupidly honourable!
What would you guys do, i would be interested to know?

ftp

Re: moral quandry
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:57:56 pm »
Would any other trade have this stupid code of honour?

Marky Thomas

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:53 pm »

tonyoliver

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:24:43 pm »
no leave j alone how about its one of your jobs you know the one that makes your mortgage every month.............................not so funny now is it good on ya dude keep the moral hogh ground.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:29:07 pm »
If Im asked to put in a price I'll put in a price.

If you have a set of rules by which you live which is contrary to this I dont think of you as mug, I think of you as being different to me. Thats all.

However, if a potential customer takes the lead conversationally and asks you to quote Id suggest you go ahead and give them a price.

ps outthere

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:33:01 pm »
I wouldn't  give them a price, they might be using you to try it to reduce the price they are paying now. This method has been used many times.
Ask them if they put the work out to tender and when, and if they do ask to be added to their list.
At least then you might not be being used, or feeling guilty about quoting.

jaykie

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:33:32 pm »
I think you did the right thing because if you did do a good price and they droped there other cleaner what they going to say to there old cleaner when they explain why "Sorry but we know longer need your services as another cleaner rung up and asked if we had a cleaner, we told him yes but would like to save some money, he was cheaper then and even tho you did a top job, always on time etc your dropped" if they can do this to a loyal cleaner then you wont be doing that job for long and would probably lose a lot more of your custys when this bloke takes revenge.

Chris

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:34:03 pm »
If Im asked to put in a price I'll put in a price.

If you have a set of rules by which you live which is contrary to this I dont think of you as mug, I think of you as being different to me. Thats all.

However, if a potential customer takes the lead conversationally and asks you to quote Id suggest you go ahead and give them a price.

i just typed a similar  reply and then read this as i posted it
wat he said ;D
just quote it,not a cert you will get it anyway so why worry ???

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:34:48 pm »
christ that took 3 goes to post a reply ::)

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:32 pm »
'ello Forpy me ol mucka how are ya mate?

Its still 'appenin' 'ere mate aint it  ;D ;D

Matt

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 09:39:31 pm »
its like adrug ;D
only free
which is a very bad combination ;D

johns window kleen

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:01:14 pm »
Got the mixed replies I expected on this one. I will stick by my code for now, as my business is growing well and I was just looking to get some biggies in so i could loose some off the remaining lower paid dross.
If I took away a guys mortgage earner I would be sick about it, just because I was being greedy.
I believe in "what goes around comes around", and no one has ever taken work off of me so far by undercutting jobs. I also agree that the owners just wanted to see if they could get a cheaper quote and they will have no residual loyalty. The majority of my custies even the commercials I dont think are like this.
Time and the actions of others might make me change, but I hope it dont.

jaykie

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 10:04:36 pm »
Good idea tho as i may spend my day tomorrow ringing companys, did you ask to speak to the managers and what did you say to them.

Chris

johns window kleen

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »
Standard pitch really on the person who answered the phone, some were employees some were the owners. Employees said  theyd get owner to ring me {2 did] the one in question was the owner.

Just introduced myself by saying my name, company name and that I ran a window cleaning business in ""**** and was enquiring if they presently had a service or were interested in one.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:13:21 pm »
The majority of my custies even the commercials I dont think are like this.
very little loyalty in big commercials
smaller stuff where you deal with boss direct not so bad
big companies where a manager is reponsible for securing cleaning contracts different game

seandyer2003

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 10:15:12 pm »
when your ringing always after your pleasantries - hello im from ....window cleaning etc, ask for the person responsible because secretary's and employees will nearly always pretend to know everything and say we dont need a cleaner we got one etc and you wont get very far, managers are always easy to chat too, or so i have found, i do alot of ringing, and when you dont get job because they have cleaner etc, ask for name and send portfolio in still - it can bring work in months, years later!

jaykie

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 10:21:40 pm »
Cheers guys, going to ring nursing home, schools, nursaries etc as i have a background in this work and also a crb so its a good selling point for me.

seandyer2003

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »
Cheers guys, going to ring nursing home, schools, nursaries etc as i have a background in this work and also a crb so its a good selling point for me.
I used to do it for it a contract cleaner i worked for, would go on yell.com and print off lists of cinemas, gyms, office blocks housing associations etc and ring one by one making a note of when their tenders were up etc, and have a diary to make a note to send in info in time, or ring back - it was very successful and brought in a lot of work!

jaykie

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »
But havent you done this for your own busines

seandyer2003

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »
But havent you done this for your own busines

A bit, but i havent really done enough, i rang round some cleaning contractors for a day a month or so ago and sent out some portfolios but no, i havent done enough :( as i was typing up before i was thinking to myself i need to do more for myself, i concentrate too much on residential and setting up website so far, might spend a day or two nxt week at it....