Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

Yellow Pages / Yell.Com
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:41:45 pm »
Does anyone advertise with Yell.com?
I`m thinking of cutting down on my
Yellow pages ad because of lack of
Calls in relation to the yearly expense.
How do prices vary?
Information and personal experience
From members appreciated.
Thanks for replies.

Lewis  Doubtfire  Gleem Clean  ( The Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Re: Yellow Pages / Yell.Com
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:48:49 pm »
Hi,

I registered for there free online listing, and someone called me trying to sell my an add, but I just didn't think it was the right sort of advert for me.

If its free fine, but I didn't want to spend, 150 or so on advertising well outwith where I am willing to travel.

Anyway, they gave me a small line in the last book for free, and I got one customer that I know off from it, another 2/3 where to far for me to travel, so had to simply appologise.

Beter spending the money on a young kid posting flyers that yell, in my opinion.

But for larger firms yeah, there good, and do generate a certain level of customers. No where near as good as flyers/ brochures though.

gerard  :)

ok cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:53:54 pm »
i did long years ago but i stoped it than still got calls not often but helps

LWC

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:06:21 pm »
i use free one, its good landed me a nice little jon in the first couple of weeks!

although when they ring they dont like hearing no i dont want to spend any9 money with you lol

DaveG

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:11:30 pm »
I use the free one too 

But Ive had s*** loads of calls from them (and other companies) trying to sell me all sorts of stuff!

Dave
You can't polish a turd

Steve CM

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:19:39 pm »
i use yell.com and realistically its not very good. But i do it as its another avenue to advertise my business and to keep my name out there

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:29:28 pm »
i use free one, its good landed me a nice little jon in the first couple of weeks!

although when they ring they dont like hearing no i dont want to spend any9 money with you lol

When you attract customers with something free your not going to bring in many big spenders, what do they expect. But the guy I spoke to went on for ever before getting to the price, and he wasn't pleased when I told him I didn't want to sped that.

I really dont like these sales men that go on for ever, get to the point. Ice breakers are fine, how are you? Are you having a nice day? great, but you dont want to waste your time telling some guy you dont know your whole life story or listening to his.(ok I guess this is alittle like that, but you can do it at your leasure here)

Its a numbers game, what are they thinking. Be polite, nice, tell them what you selling, why its better than others, how much it will cost, are you interested! simple and sweet, if there not move on to the next one.

Anyway I am ranting now, so i'll stop

gerard  ;D

jaykie

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:35:10 pm »
I paid £90 for my listing on yell, puts me 4th job down as the ones above paid about £400 and its made my money back after a week of being on

LWC

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:23:45 pm »
not big spenders?

this one was £150 a month one, all they want is a number, they dont care what place you are on the listing

jon adams

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:40:21 pm »
hi
  Yell . com complete waste of money £350 down the drain, advertised 4 commercial only got 2 calls 4 domestic. you get bombarded with calls from salesmen,  instead i paid someone to do my marketing and developement and soon picked up £4,800 of contracts
                   Jon

geefree

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 09:43:01 pm »
hi
 Yell . com complete waste of money £350 down the drain, advertised 4 commercial only got 2 calls 4 domestic. you get bombarded with calls from salesmen, instead i paid someone to do my marketing and developement and soon picked up £4,800 of contracts
 Jon

how do you go about getting someone else to do your marketting ?

kenaltobelli

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »
same as all of you seem to get all sales calls 1/2 jobs a year out of 10 new jobs 2 will be ok
the rest dont last this time been a waste of money no good at all

MJH

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:13 pm »
hi
  Yell . com complete waste of money £350 down the drain, advertised 4 commercial only got 2 calls 4 domestic. you get bombarded with calls from salesmen,  instead i paid someone to do my marketing and developement and soon picked up £4,800 of contracts
                   Jon

I spent £700 on yell.com last year with all the fancy add ons (extra coverage, web link etc etc) got two commercial jobs out of it, only small jobs, so all in all its not great but it will differ in other parts of the country, i live in a big city so quite a few (get rippedoff ha) advertise!!!

Kevin R

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:20:43 pm »
I Just advertise for commercial on Yell.com and so far I have got 2 really good jobs. Its more than paid for its self. I went for a really big yellow pages add this year too. I am right in the front of the book and so far I have have 2 calls since the new book came out (end of August) I got one but I am waiting to hear on the other.

I think if your trying to attract commercial you have to be seen.

I have got a small amount of residential customers and I have to say I have seen several unopened new copies of the yellow pages by the recycling bins.

cvdewsbury

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 08:26:38 pm »
Does anyone advertise with Yell.com?
I`m thinking of cutting down on my
Yellow pages ad because of lack of
Calls in relation to the yearly expense.
How do prices vary?
Information and personal experience
From members appreciated.
Thanks for replies.

depends on area to area I pulled mine out of yellow pages a while back for lack of responses went on yell .com same thing(wakey book) pulled out of that as well.... My conclusion to this was  the number of window cleaners avertising went tenfold...thus less responses.

Lewis  Doubtfire  Gleem Clean  ( The Blade Runner )

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 08:54:19 pm »
I've had 2 calls from yell, both passed on as not in my area and one from yellow pages trying to sell me advertising on another paper ???.  Combined it cost me 250 for a year.  If I get naught I won't be doing it again.

peter holley

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
i had about 12 calls in a year ,so it paid for the add...but when i got a call i would go  and knock on the neighbours as well..., and mostly i would pick up  more calls....i will do it again, but this  year im trying other forms, comunity mags etc....

jon adams

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »
To Gazza, soz a bit slow on reply. Imade my own luck and asked my cleaner what she did b4 she had her 1 year old. Hey presto she done marketing and developement for a building company so she started doing 3 hours a week 4 me. Trouble was she works part time and her hours have increased so only helped me 4 bout 3 months but hoping to pick up a possible 3 new contacts in april from her leads. Can do all this myself now though poss not as good on phone. diff to make the effort though when your flat out all the time.
Downside is trying to get good staff, have one really good lad but finding a good third man is difficult (really)

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 10:40:44 pm »

I have got a small amount of residential customers and I have to say I have seen several unopened new copies of the yellow pages by the recycling bins.

Me too, I've seen plenty of yellow page directories, unopened, waiting to be collected by the refuse collection. Hardly any domestic customers use the yellow pages. IMO it's too big and bulky, customers prefer to keep the Thompson or BT directory and more are searching online nowadays. Yellow pages is like chequebooks, slowly being phased out and replaced with cheaper alternatives.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 11:01:53 pm »

Me too, I've seen plenty of yellow page directories, unopened, waiting to be collected by the refuse collection. Hardly any domestic customers use the yellow pages. IMO it's too big and bulky, customers prefer to keep the Thompson or BT directory and more are searching online nowadays. Yellow pages is like chequebooks, slowly being phased out and replaced with cheaper alternatives.

I reckon that I will revert to a three liner in the next issue.  This time around I have had a box with a bit of artwork and the response has been no different.  I intend to focus more on leaflets and some canvassing for a while.
I've had a freebie on yell.com for ages.  I got a job on the first day that I registered (only a £10er).  I've had the odd enquiry since too.  However, it's the yellow pages that I need to change.  No point paying out for the ad when I get the same return for a quarter of the price.