Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

seandyer2003

Re: Can you earn £30k a year
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2008, 12:25:18 pm »
how can you build a business without employees though, sure you can refine your own round, but your never gonna be able to grow, only so much one man can do!

Many people moan about companies who are coming in and getting big contracts etc -  its because they arent a one man band! They are a businesses with well trained employees and the resources to live up to the expectations of a bigger company, on your own you will be limited...

Dave Turley

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2008, 12:33:44 pm »
i'm not sure that I want to grow.

I am sure I want to keep increasing my hourly rate.

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2008, 12:59:42 pm »
A grand a week trad?  :o

How  old are you sean?

Well, good for you. I never did that kind of money when I was on the ladders, but I didnt start on them til I was 36  :-\

peter holley

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2008, 01:20:27 pm »
its acheivable by working 25 hrs per week
£30 ,000 a year is not a huge amount, i dont know what the problem is, i would have thought most wc do this and more without employees, and not working more than 30 hrs a week....

Ian_Giles

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2008, 01:26:10 pm »
I've had to delete quite a few meaningless posts, please people, debate the issue and leave the jokes for the relevant section of the forum, a reply with nothing more than a smiley face or a jokey wisecrack only invites more of the same, and this ends out ruining a perfectly good thread.

However...

£30k plus is most certainly possible, even working trad only this is achievable....but you are not going to do this overnight, as has already been said, it takes many months just to build a basic round, then several years to hone that round into a top paying little business.
If working trad then you also need to really hone your skills, WFP certainly gives you the ability to work faster, but to go into it cold you really do need a good business head on your shoulders to understand about pricing your work and costing your business.

I would also agree with many who say that few window cleaners turnover much more than 17/18k per year, those - single traders by the way - who turn over 30k plus are way, way fewer, above 50k for a sole trader and you are getting into pretty rarefied territory.

Even were you to buy an existing, very well paying round it would still take you many months to develop the necessary skills and speed to achieve the potential returns that the round could give you.

But of course it is possible; as I understand it, there is also very good money to be made cleaning ovens....there are businesses now that do this for people, and a up to £60 a pop for a double oven no doubt there is equally vast potential in that kind of business.

A mate of mine has a one and a half ton flatbed truck and pulls in over 80k a year doing light haulage as a one man business...there is money to be made in all walks of life if you have the nous for it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

seandyer2003

« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2008, 01:46:28 pm »
I've had to delete quite a few meaningless posts, please people, debate the issue and leave the jokes for the relevant section of the forum, a reply with nothing more than a smiley face or a jokey wisecrack only invites more of the same, and this ends out ruining a perfectly good thread.

However...

£30k plus is most certainly possible, even working trad only this is achievable....but you are not going to do this overnight, as has already been said, it takes many months just to build a basic round, then several years to hone that round into a top paying little business.
If working trad then you also need to really hone your skills, WFP certainly gives you the ability to work faster, but to go into it cold you really do need a good business head on your shoulders to understand about pricing your work and costing your business.

I would also agree with many who say that few window cleaners turnover much more than 17/18k per year, those - single traders by the way - who turn over 30k plus are way, way fewer, above 50k for a sole trader and you are getting into pretty rarefied territory.

Even were you to buy an existing, very well paying round it would still take you many months to develop the necessary skills and speed to achieve the potential returns that the round could give you.

But of course it is possible; as I understand it, there is also very good money to be made cleaning ovens....there are businesses now that do this for people, and a up to £60 a pop for a double oven no doubt there is equally vast potential in that kind of business.

A mate of mine has a one and a half ton flatbed truck and pulls in over 80k a year doing light haulage as a one man business...there is money to be made in all walks of life if you have the nous for it.

Ian

Thats what i always say, people go on about businesses where you can earn x amount, but to earn alot always takes determination hard work, a bit of intelligence, and a bit of luck, but mainly work and motivation, if you do that you probably will succeed in any line of work, its just finding the one that suits...

Paul Coleman

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »

However...

Ian

Although I've been W/Cing since 1991, it's only in the past three years (since switching to WFP, that I've started to consistently get above that 17/18k mark that you mention Ian.  I could have exceeded it on a ladder sooner but I had a few years dogged by illness and a few other problems that distracted me from my work - plus I had a lot of work that was priced too low.  Now that I've had several years of WFP and have enjoyed several years of good health, I'm really starting to see just what I can achieve.  I still feel that the best is yet to come though.  I recently lost a big chunk of work that was worth about 5k a year (mostly from one source of subcontracting) but, even allowing for that, I intend to substantially increase my turnover this coming year (starting October 1).
The 17/18k was leavingf me knackered while working off a ladder (having a liver disease didn't help much either) and kept me fairly fully occupied.  Using WFP, I turn over a great deal more and still have some spare time (especially while I'm still trying to fill the gap left by former subbying work).
I do intend to reach that rarified territory of 50k but I can't see it happening this coming year.

seandyer2003

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »
A grand a week trad?  :o

How  old are you sean?

Well, good for you. I never did that kind of money when I was on the ladders, but I didnt start on them til I was 36  :-\

Dont get me wrong i am not turning that over week in and out, far from it, i only have about half that a week worth of week anyway at moment but i am building to it, i only wanna do 3 days and have full time employee doing some where near that, but i have done it on a few occasions to catch up or to get ahead before going away, but it is possible, on your own every week though you would probably need someone helping a day or two, but then the money you waste in wages you might as well have a week off!!! If you are hapy with your wage and live on it, you dont need to go mad, i have alot to pay out, newly married, kid on the way, starting out on property ladder,car insurance is sky high, wife doesnt work etc etc, so i need to earn alot to have any kind of life outside of bills and work!!

ronnie paton

« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2008, 02:41:15 pm »
sean i like you ambition and attituide i think you have good business sense above your age, im sure you will achieve your goals be patient learn from your mistakes and build on your success.
i found employing part time didnt work has they didnt want to work full time cause they were lazy so they just let me done timt after time thats why i invetsed in new work to have enough for full time.

See iwhat works for you good luck!

seandyer2003

« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:09 pm »
sean i like you ambition and attituide i think you have good business sense above your age, im sure you will achieve your goals be patient learn from your mistakes and build on your success.
i found employing part time didnt work has they didnt want to work full time cause they were lazy so they just let me done timt after time thats why i invetsed in new work to have enough for full time.

See iwhat works for you good luck!

Cheers Ronnie, will keep an eye out for you round Manchester!