Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sunshine

Can you earn £30k a year
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:15:09 pm »
Hello all

Want to know if you think it would be possible to earn £30k a year window cleaning.
Been thinking about packing my regular job in to work for myself (fulltime).

Let me know what you think

regards 

S

Wayne Thomas

Re: Can you earn £30k a year
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:17:01 pm »
More risks associated with self employment. Rewards are greater but so are the risks. Think hard whatever you do :)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 11:22:24 pm »
30 k earned ???
turnover or profit ??? ???
what does earned mean to you

Sunshine

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:24:42 pm »
thanks for your prompt reply....i was thinking £30k before tax

ok cleaning

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 11:30:50 pm »
if you take your job seriusly it sould not be diffucult

peter holley

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:32:29 pm »
but it would be worth doing ;D

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:42:51 pm »
if you take your job seriusly it sould not be diffucult
what ???
ONE bloke......you lot read too much of that bwca stuff
its hard work
fraught with problems
dont believe the hype

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:47:34 pm »
To earn £30k pre tax you would have to be turning over about £50k.

Roger Slater

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 11:55:07 pm »
Sunshine,

This is going to be a contreversial post with some of the old timers on here but!!!

Don't listen to some of the overated wannabes on this forum.

The world is your oyster, you can earn as much as you want if you have the time and sheer grit and termination, there is a few people on here who claim to making trebble that and have done very little to earn it.

Do not believe them.

Your business is just that your business don't let people on here give you crap advice saying you cant earn more than £30,000 a year you can quite easily, you just have to have the right business accumen
and strategy unlike some.

This is for the old hats if you want to call them that. Stop given crap advice to the newbies and get back to the real reason why we talk to each other on this forum. (KNOWLEDGE) not crap.

And if you cant understand this diagram then go away.

Roger Slater

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 12:06:05 am »
I got £40 and a bag of apples today :(
a bag of apples as well :o :o :o
you jammy git

Ok clever JT explain SNR even if it is right infront of you.

You obviously didnt get the last post i made. I will put it in LAYMEN TERMS FOR YOU ( GO AWAY)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:09:39 am »
Roger

I know where you are coming form you might make good money but there are loads more who do not.

Where i live and work i dont know anyone who i talk too who makes "forum" wages.

Like yourself I do ok, but i meet so many who do not, in fact i have just bought a round of a local guy who couldnt hack anymore and he has gone into a paid job.

I think we should keep this post balanced, as in every walk of life , there are those that achieve and those that dont

alanwilson

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:11:42 am »
you have to look at a year as not 52 weeks but realistically 46 weeks

now £30k over 46 weeks = £652 a week.

through experience I can tell you a week is only good for 4 days work = £163 a day.

Apparently no one on here makes less than £25 an hour = 6.5hrs a day.

So for the guys who don't/can't earn more than £30k a year - what are doing with the time?  4 days @ 6.5hrs = 27hrs a week.

Dave - how do you come to the conclusion that £30k pre-tax equates to 50k turnover?  Pre means before, overheads on one van is nowhere near 20k a year mate, come on, I know you use a lot of resin but not that much. I take your point onboard that some don't do as well as others but I feel often its because of lack of effort.

Lastly, Sunshine - it'll take you a while to get quick enough and get enough customers to earn 30k.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

john tomkins

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:12:28 am »
The world is your oyster, you can earn as much as you want.

Stop given crap advice to the newbies and get back to the real reason why we talk to each other on this forum. (KNOWLEDGE) not crap.

2 totally conflicting sentences there RS.

I want to earn 1 million a week, but it ain't gonna happen so stop giving crap advise ::)

Steve CM

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:17:43 am »
as in every walk of life , there are those that achieve and those that dont

I have come to this conclusion as well. this business can be as acheivable as you want it to be. i don't think some people grasp the reality of business, I think some people are happy plodding along and being thier own boss. that is not a put down to anyone just an observation. 30k is acheivable. but you will only get out what you put in ;)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:19:04 am »
Roger

I know where you are coming form you might make good money but there are loads more who do not.

Where i live and work i dont know anyone who i talk too who makes "forum" wages.

Like yourself I do ok, but i meet so many who do not, in fact i have just bought a round of a local guy who couldnt hack anymore and he has gone into a paid job.

I think we should keep this post balanced, as in every walk of life , there are those that achieve and those that dont
thats my vote for post of the year
i know 22 window cleaners and maybe 3 of em make "forum " wages as dave puts it
3 years ago  one died in virtual poverty at 70 yrs old working till a month before he died
another i knew on "nodding" terms topped himself,some say his debt problems got out of hand
two sides to every story
some will do well
some get by
others dont
just like any other business

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:40 am »
Alan

Over heads on a £50k turnover

Vehicle payments or depreciation £4k

Fuel, tax, insurance , repairs £4-£5k

equipment £2k- £3k

advertising , envelopes , computer £2k

Insurance , subscription etc £500 ?

Telephone £300

use of home as office £520

protective clothing  £100

Laundry £100

Accountant £400

Training / trade shows ?

Loan interest and charges ?

Employee costs  ? £5k ( Most people dont take £50k on there own)

Bad debts ?

Just a guess really,

but there is more to it than most people think

Roger Slater

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 12:29:54 am »
The world is your oyster, you can earn as much as you want.

Stop given crap advice to the newbies and get back to the real reason why we talk to each other on this forum. (KNOWLEDGE) not crap.

2 totally conflicting sentences there RS.

I want to earn 1 million a week, but it ain't gonna happen so stop giving crap advise ::)

You all still seem to be missing the point.

Dave: If i had a £50 (I see you changed it to K) turnover i wouldnt even waste my time on this forum and yes some do better than others, but dont suggest to the newbies it cant be done because it can.

JT: your obviously a one man band, if you employ 3 people you will easily clear £50,000 a year after tax, like i said you have to have the right business acumen even if you dont like it.

Dave: There seems to be a lot of very confused people on this forum to what they can actually earn, not a good idea to send the wrong signals to the newbies.

IMO: this forum has become a witch hunt for achievers and under-achievers shame on you all.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35:19 am »
The whole point of this forum is for the under achievers to learn from the achievers to benefit themselves and help others along the path of achievement. A wise man never stops learning no matter how experienced he may think he is :)

Tim82

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 12:43:19 am »
Hello all

Want to know if you think it would be possible to earn £30k a year window cleaning.
Been thinking about packing my regular job in to work for myself (fulltime).

Let me know what you think

regards 

S

I know someone who earned nearly 30k last year (before tax) but only because he was working really hard to pay off debts and such. It is possible, but being able to earn over that mark is another story. On business work maybe?