Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Refresh Cleaning (Andy)

machines
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:20:04 pm »
Ok guys we're just getting into carpet cleaning and would appreciate some advice, firstly what's the best make of machine to buy for your normal house hold carpet and how much do they cost and secondly how much and what make are the machines for cleaning 3 piece suits etc?

carpetworx

Re: machines
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:24:21 pm »
A boxxer 8)

Refresh Cleaning (Andy)

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 02:28:07 pm »
Ok sounds like a dog to me! lol, but i take your word for it, where's the best place to get them from?

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:31:40 pm »
Hi, welcome :)

You've just asked one of the biggest, most open-ended questions in this industry!  Don't expect to get an identical answer from any two people, even if you asked every single carpet cleaner in the country.

Two suggestions...

Firstly, fill in your profile to let the rest of us know a bit about you, and it's generally considered the done thing on here to let people know your name, either by changing your displayed name on the forum or putting it in your signature.

Secondly, use the advanced search www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=search;advanced to scan past topics on the forum.  The questions you've asked have been thrashed to death since time immemorial ;)

Machinery is one third of the equation.  You also have to use the correct products and have someone who knows what they're doing to use the machine and products!

Refresh Cleaning (Andy)

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:40:52 pm »
Thanks Jim, ok ive added my name to my title lol.

So i guess your saying get on a training course first and then decide from there the best avenue to take!

Are there any carpet cleaners from dorset on this site? 

Gary Webber

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:34 pm »
As stated by others,  I would undertake a course/s, then to ensure this was something you wanted to do, buy a secondhand machine.

The depreciation on a new  machine is still quite high, and a good second hand machine will last you while so decide to progress in this business

Gary

Refresh Cleaning (Andy)

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:26:25 pm »
Thanks Clinton and hi to you all!

I have about 10k but that's got to buy a vehicle also! Is this enough?

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:37:56 pm »
Hi Andy,

I'm based in Poole, Dorset.  I am just setting up in business myself.  I am booked on an NCCA training course later this week.  I have already procured my van and equipment.
Good luck with your business.
Pete
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

Refresh Cleaning (Andy)

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »
Hi Pete, love the name by the way lol. Let me know how the course goes if you dont mind. my email add is andylongshaw@yahoo.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:15:50 pm »
Hi Andy
im based in Ferndown
Daryl

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:25:53 pm »
There was a little Berlingo van for sale down in Devon/Cornwall area a little while ago.... ah here it is, on eBay 

Item number: 180266742340

Make him an offer of £600, it's been up for sale for about 3 months ;)

He was selling an Eclipse extraction machine too but I don't know if that's still available.

Refresh Cleaning (Andy)

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:40:26 pm »
Cheers Jim and hi Daryl

Kev Loomes

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:48 pm »
There was a little Berlingo van for sale down in Devon/Cornwall area a little while ago.... ah here it is, on eBay 

Item number: 180266742340

Make him an offer of £600, it's been up for sale for about 3 months ;)

He was selling an Eclipse extraction machine too but I don't know if that's still available.

Hi Jim

Off topic I know, but Ive just looked at your profile and you have only started posting on this forum since 2 months ago. 194 messages - flipping hell mate thats some going :o

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
I know its different as i allready have a window cleaning business established since 2003 so i was able to afford the machinery i needed

Went on the Prochem course invaluable just for the basics really

Then i purchased the following which i have used nearlly every day since last september

1 x Powerplus
1 x Sebo duo (for aggitation only)
1 x Numatic 15" rotary ( love this machine slow speed saved me so much time on trashed lets)Karcher
1 x Karcher spotting puzzi for spotting/stains/upholstery and the odd call out
all the hoses and wands
every prespray and sprayer i could get my hands on
blower
4 plug 50 m extension lead with cut out
carpet rake,pile brush

and all at a cost of just over £5,000 my vans i have leased since 2005 at a rate of £183 per month with an extra cost of £6 per month for GAP incase i ever get in wrote of like my last one oops

Jim_77

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
That's only 3 posts a day, Kev :)

Andy remember that you'll not only need capital to buy equipment but to kick-start your marketing too.  Many cleaners choose leaflets first of all, as they can be relatively low cost, but there are plenty of ways to start business rolling in. 

A small, simple ad in Y/P (monochrome reverse copy) will undoubtedly pay for itself within a few months, forget Thomsons to begin with, maybe later.

Ignore the chumps that ringg YOU up proposing marketing and advertising ideas - they're only out to rob you of your cash to pay for their printing or some other cost that they need advertising to pay for.

Yell.com is worth doing.  In my experience nowhere near as effective as the book but still returned me 500% of what I invested in it last year.

Forget the tinpot online directories, most of them only collect and sell on your contact details to cold callers.  Read the T's & C's.

Remember that the most expensive marketing is not always going to be the most effective ;)

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 09:49:23 pm »
Yes i do more window cleaning than carpets but mostly domestic.

I gave up on most of the commercial work due to bad payers,late payers now we only do managed flats on the commercial side and offices for clients we allready clean homes for.

About 20-30 per day per van we have 3 now and we also service the flats communial stairs and hallways wtc weekly so plenty of work.