Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bill Robinson

wool rug
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:16:58 am »
hi ive got a wool rug ive cleaned it i had to run the hose on it in the end it still hasnt come up as clean as i like it to .
its got lots of little bits of food deep inside of it its very shaggy deep pile
the feel and smell of it isnt good would it be ok to put comfort fabric conditioner on i t

ta bill

clinton

Re: wool rug
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:13:07 pm »
Is the rug dry yet bill?

The smell you might have is from the wool itself being damp same as you get on a wool carpet when cleaning..

See what happens when its dry.

Is there a pet that has been sat on there etc?..

Jim_77

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:22:26 pm »
How much is it worth, to replace?

It may have been trashed beyond acceptable salvage, either before it was cleaned or as a result of you cleaning it.

Did you vacuum the rug before cleaning it?  Those shaggy rugs are a nightmare for getting crud stuck down in the base of the pile.

Before cleaning, you should turn the rug upside down on a hard surface of a sheet (NOT on your carpet) and use an upright vacuum really slowly, going over and over it, to knock all the crap out.

Think that's a load of old cobblers? Watch... www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUYeUrYkZhI

After back-dusting, give the rug a good shake, vac up the crud, then do it again!

After a second time, turn the rug the right way up and vacuum the face.  This is where upright vacuums struggle on shaggy rugs unfortunately, the pile just clogs the brush.  I use my cylinder vac with the upholstery tool to do this.

Now you're ready to get it wet.

Don't put fabric conditioner on it, you're not solving the problem at all!  You'll just leave a sticky residue that'll make the rug grab on to any dirt that gets on it, and it'll look crap again very quickly.

Doggy smells are from bacteria that break down the oil transferred from the dog's coat.  It needs something anti-bacterial on it to remove the odour.  Not washing up liquid though!

If this was an 8x5 rug I'd probably be charging you around £80 collected and delivered, to give it the full attention it deserves.  Hence why I asked you how much it's worth to replace!

Just "whizzing over it" with a rug doctor or something is NOT going to solve the problem.

Bill Robinson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:09 pm »
she has a dog she said he used it for a bed and eating off it .
the rug will soon be dry , ive got it upside down cliped to my blower.
 i did hoover it upside down probably for not long though but im not getting paid much anyway.
i was just wondering if anybody uses any sort of fabric conditioner i thought it might help with the material to feel soft and easier for the pile to get into shape.

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:46:43 pm »
Bill - I'm guessing that carpet cleaning isn't your usual trade?

Bill Robinson

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:51:17 pm »
i do it as  a hobby

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oakFQYM-Qzc&feature=related

this is what i need how much do you recon they charge for this kind of treetment i would of thought it costs more than the carpet

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:52:06 pm »
With all due respect mate, you shouldn't be doing this sort of work if you don't know what you're doing.

At best, the rug you've cleaned may only need doing again, properly.  At worst, you might have irretrievably damaged it and cost yourself the price of a replacement - you wouldn't just leave your customer to carry the can would you?

Fabric softener is for clothes in washing machines.  Cleaning rugs is for trained carpet cleaners.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:52 pm »
Bill

Now I understand why the Americans only have 110v

Have used in the past baby hair shampoo and always rise with soft water they come up like a babies bum soft and gentle.

Not all the rugs I clean do i use this method.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Bill Robinson

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:44:05 pm »
With all due respect mate, you shouldn't be doing this sort of work if you don't know what you're doing.

At best, the rug you've cleaned may only need doing again, properly.  At worst, you might have irretrievably damaged it and cost yourself the price of a replacement - you wouldn't just leave your customer to carry the can would you?

Fabric softener is for clothes in washing machines.  Cleaning rugs is for trained carpet cleaners.

Sorry to be so blunt.

is that a picture of your wife

Bill Robinson

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:45:28 pm »
Bill

Now I understand why the Americans only have 110v

Have used in the past baby hair shampoo and always rise with soft water they come up like a babies bum soft and gentle.

Not all the rugs I clean do i use this method.

Len

thanks len i will keep this in mind nice to hear some sence

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:40:40 pm »
Best of luck in your business, Bill.

Bill Robinson

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 07:46:24 am »
Best of luck in your business, Bill.
its all about money for some people

Bill Robinson

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »
ive had this rug on for hours to dry with the blower how long do you lot have it on for .ive just got it in the garage would it be better if i had it inside the house with the radiator on

Bill Robinson

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:40:15 pm »
gave it  a good hoover could of done better but its just a cheepy for a friend presprayed it with prespray gold cleaned it with new ultermmaster put some deoderiser on then  hosed it down thourgh rinsed then let it drip and extracted useing uphostry tool then cliped it to the blower did the underside first the turned it upside down then back the other way its now flapping a lot as its getting lighter nearly dry now just a little damp its a very shaggy rug

Bill Robinson

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:44:45 pm »
do you know what ive just thought what if i get a paddling pool and wash it upside down in there swishing it about to and fro  ;D how long could i leeve a wool rug steeping in sulution in a paddling pool before it effects the material

John Kelly

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 03:48:32 pm »
Don't just wash it straight away and flush out. Then dry as quickly as you can.

Len Gribble

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:02 pm »
Bill

Was given a tip garden roller helps drying.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Robert Watson

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:09 pm »
Len, FFS, do we not have enough to humf about.
Now we need a garden roller.
How much is that gonna cost?
The Kitchen Door Centre

Len Gribble

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:09 pm »
Try the sheds about £60 sand fill is better but heavy to lift, so fill it with water then you can dump it, it work like the ringer system on a old washing machine.

It has other uses like the garden. ;)

Len