Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

I have just seen a post about covers for portables when left outside is this the norm ?

ALLWAYS LEAVE OUTSIDE
30.8%
28 (30.8%)
ALLWAYS LEAVE INSIDE
18.7%
17 (18.7%)
ONLY LEAVE OUTSIDE IF POSSIBLE
27.5%
25 (27.5%)
ONLY LEAVE INSIDE IF REALLY NECESSARY
23.1%
21 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Do you take your portable inside your customers Home ?
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »
I have always thought it would be easier to leave outside but wasn't sure if the noise of the portable would not be allowed for neighboring people

regards

steve

carlton care

Re: Do you take your portable inside your customers Home ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »
I reckon your portable will be much quieter than a T/M and T/M'ers regard the noise to be a marketing tool.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:39:40 pm »
You don't have a category for me.

I leave my portable in the van, as long as the room I'm cleaning is within 150ft. It always is ;) For most I only need 75ft max.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

derek west

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »
carlton
as a truckmounter i'll confirm that, its excellent marketing and ive never had a noise complaint.
derek

homenclean

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »
It depends where i am working and on the weather. Even with a cover i am not that keen on leaving outside on cold wet days.

I quite often dont like to leave customers door open if i am cleaning upstairs, for obvious reasons.

Buy saying all that it is nice when the gear can stand outside and all you have in is the hose and sprays etc.

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:46:40 pm »
Ideally you want to leave it outside to filter the dirty air outside.

Shaun

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:50:55 pm »
I leave mine outside, it's way too noisy to take into the customers house, plus if they have a upvc door I nearly put my back out getting it in.

I tend to wedge the custys door to just the size of the hose to stop it been fully open.
Www.2venturegroup.com

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
Exactly the same as Andy in the above post.  I think that most customers wouldn't really be too bothered, but why take the risk of giving them a less pleasant experience if it isn't necessary?  One of the points in the guarantee I make to customers is that I will cause them the minimum amount of inconvenience possible, so if I needlessly drag a noisy bulky machine intothe middle of their house I feel I'm breaking that promise.

Terraced streets are a problem, so I sometimes just pull the machine inside the doorway to prevent any "Uncle Albert" insurance claims :)  This does present a bit of a problem in very narrow halls, as sometimes I need to get the rotary past the extraction machine.  Shuffling one out and the other in does pee me off sometimes, but I don't do a lot of terraced houses anyway so just grin and bear it when the need arises.

I can only recall a handful of jobs where the 50ft of hose I normally carry won't stretch all the way and so I've needed to pull the machine inside.

Shaun makes a good point too, you're responsible for the indoor air quality of your customer's home.  If I do have to pull my machine in further than the doorway so its rear-facing exhaust isn't blowing outside, I'll use my extension hose to vent the machine outside.  This also has a bonus effect of cutting the noise down a hell of a lot!

Gary Webber

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:09:08 pm »
I take mine inside wherever necessary, luckily it is no noisier than a commercial vacuum, so there are no noise issues, plus it has an air port to attach a 10 metre hose to remove hot air.

Gary

Goldfinch PCS

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:22:54 pm »
Ken

What portie have you got?
Goldfinch PCS
0800 612 9244
LTT PROmite(Altec) Member of - IICRC
www.goldfinchpcs.co.uk

Dave Roelants

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:26:53 pm »
You don't have a category for me either, I prefer to leave my portable in the garden shed but I do use it about 3 times a year, outside if poss, inside if I really have to-the noise drives me nuts!
Best Regards, Dave,
Lakeland Carpet Cleaning, 1st in the UK with 4 to the door!

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:59:32 am »
My set up is a Scorpion 500psi, with 150ltr on board tanks.

I tried it with a waste tank on board but with my too small van it was unworkable. I just have the freshwater at present. A doubled up tank rack is on order and delivery is imminent so I won't need to empty the waste every room or so :)

To achieve the desired performance with this set up, IMO it's essential to run 2" hose. Some of our US colleagues have even used 2.5" to the door with positive outcomes. Even at 100ft, the performance at my glided wand is superior to any twin vac I've seen with 25' of 1.5" hose :)

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 07:41:13 pm »
Hi Clinton.

Yes, I have a Citroen Dispatch.

I've been running van mounted for about 3 months now. I haven't needed to take the Scorpion off the van during that time. It is rare to go more than 75ft. At that length on 2" hose it is VASTLY superior to any twin vac porty. At 100ft you can hear a slight difference at the hose, but not one iota of difference at the Greenified wand. I've never needed more than 100ft to date, but have experimentd with 125' and 150' Again you can hear a difference at 125' but no difference in wand performance was detectable. At 150ft there is a slight tail off but it's still better than a twin vac porty on 25ft of small bore vac hose.  If I need extra lengths, I've also got an inline booster vac, but to be honest I don't carry it.

It'll be intersting to see if performance is affected with the larger recovery tank when fitted.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

david_green

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:05:56 pm »
Ken
Do you find that there is much improvement in set up time with this arrangement?

Jim_77

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »
Do you have any photos of your set-up Ken?  I've got the same van and I'm just trying to visualise how rammed it would be inside, with all my other paraphernalia!

Surely there isn't space for a hose reel?  Must be like a van full of boa constrictors carrying 100' of 2" around :)

Jim_77

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 08:43:27 pm »
Didn't say anything about my rotary, are you the shifty looking guy down the end of my street with the binoculars? :o

15" Rotary stays permanently on my van, I use it almost every day.

(oh i see I said that yesterday, been to bed since then!)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:58:19 pm »
David

Initial set up time saving is minimal, if at all as you spend a little more time running hoses across the drive through the house, setting up trip notices and ramps if required (all this as with a T/M) plus you have to run the power leads to wherever. On a single 4x4 room, for example, I suspect there wont be any time saved :'(  But I rarely clean a single room :)

As for pictures, I'll see what I can do.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

Joe H

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:46:57 am »
Here is photo of a Scorpion with twin tanks - one clean, one dirty.

Clinton, my second machine is a Scorpion on 2" and the efficiency is a lot different to when on 1.5".

When in the van, obviously long electric extension cables needed.

I assume the framework is similar to what Ken is having done but he will confirm.

Joe H

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:18:17 am »
No I didnt have that set up in mine. Used as a portable.

Electric cables - even when leaving machine outside near door there were times I needed extension cables.

2" is now standard, I altered mine.