Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

spencer davies

Gut Feeling
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:38:17 pm »
We travelled to a village called Flimwell on Friday to clean all carpets in a cottage, we arrived exactly on time at 11.30.

We parked outside and as usual I put my very attractive overshoes on to take a good look at what we had to do (phone quote).

A young woman answered the door, before I had a chance, she said 'my sister phoned your head office and cancelled you yesterday' , I explained that any calls made to our 'head office' arrive in my pocket on my mobile phone and we had received no phone call.  :(

My phone then rang as I was checking my voicemail, I quickly answered, it was the customer who was upstairs 'in the shower'  'oh I phoned xyz carpet cleaning company and not you, I cancelled with them, you can't come in as I have lots of family down'.

I could feel the steam building inside my ears, I calmly told her that I would be charging her £80 for our time and diesel costs (45 minutes travelling) she thought this was unreasonable and told us to get on with it.

I inspected the 'cottage' which turned out to be a large four bedroomed house, nothing had been moved at all, the place was absolutely filthy, knickers on the floor, dinner plates every where, the place looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks, I then noticed large green patches. 'Have you any idea what this is?' I asked, 'yea, my son was spraying toys, you will get it all out won't you?'

At this point, I told the customer I was leaving, my gut feeling was that we should go, the job was far larger than I was lead to believe and the prospect of picking up stuff for half an hour didn't appeal either, I also anticipated payment problems too.

I have thought about this a few times since, would anyone else of handled the situation in another way?

Regards

S

John Milnes

Re: Gut Feeling
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:53:50 pm »
IMO you did the right thing.

If she had been happy with the quote, you may have got ''can you leave the bill and I'll send it on''.

I'v never come across this before but better safe than sorry!

John

kinder clean

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:25 pm »

Your gut is usually right

Paul

mark shannon

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »
I have had a few of those Spencer,  i would walk,  usually when i don't follow my instincts it ends up in problems.

Some people are stupid and have unreasonable expectations that can not be managed.

garyj

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 01:04:08 pm »
I would have done the same, think you did the right thing.

I have left a couple of jobs over the years when it did not feel right, no regrets.

Have also done a few phone quotes and when I have arrived thought "oh no, this is worse/bigger than I thought" and wished I had an excuse to go.

carlton care

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:37 pm »
No matter what result you got I reckon niether you nor the "client" would be satisfied. Years ago, I would have gritted my teeth and got on with it.................not today.

I hate wasting time, but you have to decide. Was it time entirely wasted, or did I learn a valuable lesson, hopefully the latter. And, IMO it was the right decision.

Jim_77

Re: Gut Feeling New
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:21:12 pm »
I think as the replies already indicate, once you've gained a decent amount of experience, you tend to add up all the little signs that produce the urge to walk.  I doubt that you made the wrong decision.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:33:09 pm »
What sort of fun with the knickers Jim? Would you have stolen a pair?  :o

from edge2edge

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 02:42:01 pm »
As you are only answerable to yourself simply walk away.After all  the boss aint gonna sack you and it gives you a feeling of enpowerment that you dont have to shovel the brown stuff for just anybody.Regards Alan(swindon)

spencer davies

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 03:27:28 pm »
Ha ha, some entertaining comments, thanks chaps, if feel better now  ;)

Especially the drawer comment

S

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
I have had a few of those Spencer,  i would walk,  usually when i don't follow my instincts it ends up in problems.

Some people are stupid and have unreasonable expectations that can not be managed.

Oh! How true!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 03:57:38 pm »
In these situations follow your nose, it was obvious there was something fishy about the place. ;D

John Gregory

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »
 ;D ;D

That was funny for you Mike

John

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »
;D ;D

That was funny for you Mike

John

Trust you to only get the crude ones.  ;D

re knickers, frilly red semi thong (used). Was I correct? Very popular with skanky birds (but not exclusively)

spencer davies

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 06:50:22 pm »
You remember the housekeeper in Tom and Jerry?  'Thomas!'  that gives you an idea of size, I don't think my Hydramaster would have sucked them up its 2" hoses  ;D

S

Jim_77

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 06:53:31 pm »
Just add poles - instant tent.

PaulKing

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 07:58:58 pm »
I'd have walked as well,
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

markpowell

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »
Me too !!!!!!!!!!!!

murky

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:27 pm »
Funny theres no moderators around when it gets like this.

We get censored for much much more serious things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murky

garyj

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »
Funny theres no moderators around when it gets like this.

We get censored for much much more serious things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murky

Get over yourself, if you do not like it, you know where the door is  :-* ::)