Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spot The Difference (Oxford)

Leather cleaning
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »
Can anyone recommend the best way to remove emulsion paint from a leather sofa?
Richard Nolan | Spot The Difference (Oxford)

Please see our website: Carpet Cleaners Oxford

Ben Staerck

Re: Leather cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:51:42 pm »
A normal leather cleaner should shift it if it hasn't been on too long.

If that fails, you'll need to try an alcohol cleaner, prep cleaner or stain remover - all will reduce the stain. Sanding will also reduce the stain. Afterwards, you'll probably need to re-colour the area.

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:12:26 pm »
Paint spillage

The secret is to act quickly whilst the paint is still wet. Remove the excess using a knife or wallpaper scraper, taking care not to scratch the surface, and work form the outside in to avoid spreading it further. Once the bulk is removed, mop up the rest with a cloth or paper towel, again working from the outside. Finally, clean the area with Strong Cleaner.

This is a tricky problem once the paint is dry. Try cleaning the area first with Maxi Cleaner. If it won’t come off with this, then there’s nothing you can safely use without damaging the leather so the job becomes a restoration job rather than a cleaning one and you will need to be confident about repairing any damage that stronger products will do.
If you are confident to repair the damage use Alcohol Cleaner next and see what this does.  If this does not completely remove the paint use Remover 3 which may remove the paint but if it does it will also remove finish/pigment which will have to be replaced.

Hope this helps
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »
In other words, there isn't a "rub it off with a cloth and it's all better" solution.

You need to be experienced in leather restoration to do this effectively.

carlton care

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:25:09 pm »
Might come off with a wet, cloth or sponge if you're lucky, otherwise it's as above. Before attempting anything you will have to identify the finish on the leather, some can be very tough, others are not.

derek west

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:04:04 pm »
how much paint is on there, i had one with a couple of dots of paint, so i used a cotton but and alcohol and teased it off, worked for me but i'm no expert.

FiberReviver

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:28 pm »
If this is emulsion paint leave a damp terry towel on it for a few hours it will soften it and then comes of quite easy
WELL I NEVER !!!! WELL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE