Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

Re: Should i start up in Carpet Cleaning Business
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 10:02:06 pm »
Derek what price are quoting your suites at ? ,  don't listen to some of the people on hear saying they get £160 a suite cos it is nonsense. you need to get out working do a good job then get referalls , even thou I've only been trading 18 months I've got customers that I have worked for 3 or 4 time's for , then been passed down the family , then to friends etc , I don't understand why some carpet cleaners that have been trading 20 ,30 years still have to put out 5000 leaflets a week to get work , there the 1 s that are doing it wrong

John

Gerry Styles

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »
3 pce suite @ £35 per seat = 5 seats = £175

2 armchairs @ £35 each = £70

No problem achieving that as minimum price, more if badly soiled
Premier Klean Limited

derek west

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 10:53:35 pm »
not alot john.
did a quote today for a small living room carpet, about 15 m square, £50, got that no problem, she asked how much for a 3 and a 2 so i said about £80, take about 2 hours so i was happy with that but she said i'll leave the suite, i think its my confidence with suites that let me down, with carpets i know they'll come up a treat but with upholstery i'm unsure as i struggled with mine so i play the results down with customers just incase.
need to find some more dirty suites and do them for free, but i hate doing them and for free is just taking the p, so its a catch 22 for me.
clinton.
yeah lets all find a pub with a carpet, wont take 4 of us long to clean it and the drinks will be on the house.
always thinking. ;D
derek

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:02 pm »
John I know what you mean, it's very frustrating and yet there's load of business out there, it's your job to find it.

kinder clean

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 12:17:40 am »
Hi Derek

Good to see a fellow Newbie brimming with confidence.

When the phone rings and you get a carpet enquirey, take me through your speal - Like me do you try to get an onsite visit? I think this works better, once face to face you can not only sell yourself better, but to take the customer through the process - baffle with B/S  ;D works best for me - but you say you haven't lost a single quote yet - So I am interested to hear you telephone pitch.

I too would meet up, Clintons been trading for donkeys years so he must be loaded, so drinks on Clinton  ;D

Paul

derek west

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 01:06:25 am »
hi paul
ive lost one, but theres a story to that, to long to type, tell ya when we meet up.
the phone speel is nothing, they ring, we say we'll come round to make sure we can clean your carpets safely and the quote is free, then once i'm round there, no bull, just friendly honest banter, and make the complicated, easy to understand.
always do the burn test right in front of them, then just say if it melts its plastic and if it singes its wool, few little jokes then hit them with the quote, always ask them to sit down before i give them the quote, (tongue in cheek), this makes them feel like its going to be really high, and its not, my prices are in between, if they hesitate then its out to the trucky and bingo, bobs your uncle fanny's your aunt. job done.
simple but very effective,
did a £70 quid job today, lounge through diner and narrow landing, (it was an upside down house) gave me £80 and said you worked hard for that, keep the change. and i got a call 2 hours later from one of his friends, did the quote tonight and guess what, yeah you guessed it, BINGOOOOO!
its not all roses here though, i need a lot more work than i'm getting, but it'll come, only been going 9 + weeks, early doors, early doors.
derek

Jim_77

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:32 am »
Regarding the suite pricing... round about £150 for a standard 3-pc in average condition is about standard pricing... for a well experienced confident cleaner who can guarantee that the customer is going to feel they've had value for money.

Paul, don't set out to baffle with BS, smarter people see through this approach and dumber people feel alienated by it.

Set out to create a friendship.

People buy from people they like.

kinder clean

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 08:09:49 am »
Yes Clinton ........ if you say so, your not loaded  ::) - Although when I came up last week you did give me the impression you were quite comfortable.....its the first time i've ever had quail eggs with a red currant sauce on a layer of caviar for my breakfast. I think the photo says it all, what band council tax is your place? you look more comfortable in the photo Clinton, out of your CC uniform.  ;D

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 12:08:12 pm »
One piece of advice which has held me in good stead is purchase equipment reasonably local to you. I live in north east and use an Extracta machine. If ever it gets a problem i can whip it up the road to Gateshead in 15 minutes and get it fixed while i wait. A bit hard doing that if your up here and the manufacturers are down there and you loose a lot of work while it is away being fixed!

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 01:28:46 pm »
The prowler is an excellent machine but for most of the jobs I do I need a portable due to their location (apartment blocks etc...). Think ill just stick with my porty now, never let me down and very busy at mo. John

John Gregory

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 03:20:58 pm »
John I know what you mean, it's very frustrating and yet there's load of business out there, it's your job to find it.

Mike going to eat my own words quoted a suite this morning at £140 and got it
John

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:55 pm »
Good for you John.

I've always quoted £140 for suites and although with some you have to work for, I only lose a few. Here's a trick. In your mind imagine that it's just not worth the effort for anything less and you are prepared to walk away.

I'd prefer to put the effort into selling what I'm worth than slaving over greasy fabric for peanuts.

Give me carpets any day of the week.