Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

ncca
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:10:17 pm »
i am not a member of the ncca.
however i was trained by the ncca, i have since found out that i am not allowed to say i am trained by the ncca.
i find this very hard to believe that the ncca can take my £300 pound, train me, then say i am not allowed to say they trained me unless i then pay a further £200 quid,  i wasn;t told this when handing over my money.
ive got gcse's from hartford high schooland they dont say i cant tell anyone where i got them from.
customer! "where were you trained"
me! "i'm not allowed to tell you"
i am not lying wheni say i was trained by the ncca so what gives them the right to say i cant mention them in my advertising, they took my money.
do they really have the right to stop me advertising i was trained by them, i know i cant use there logo, thats fair enough but saying i'm trained by them, surely that woldn't hold up in court, do i have to put a sticker over there logo when showing potential customers my certificate of training.
has anyone challenged this as i feel hard done by, i was trained by prochem but thought the ncca training certificate would be more beneficial, how wrong was i?

i'm thinking of doing a hard floor course with the ncca but if the above is the case then i may as well go elsewhere.

Joe H

Re: ncca
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »
Derek
Obviously you are concerned about this as you have posted on another forum.

You probably not going to get a definitive answer on the forums.

Maybe the best thing to do is contact NCCA and ask to speak to the leagal secretary (or whatever title).

derek west

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:33:22 pm »
got a reasonablly good responce of the other forum, just thought i'd see what advice this one has to offer before i contact them, pretty sure they cant do anything about it, but if they can then i wont be training with them again and i want my money back. its not like i'm lying but lets see what others have to say on the matter, thats what forums are for joe. epecially for guys like me who know bu@@er all.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:59:37 pm »
The only thing the ncca can stop you doing is using the logo it has a copy wright on it i think.As for telling customers who trained you and showing them the proof i don't think so. 
Tony
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Doug Holloway

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »
Hi Derek

I'm not a legal expert but logic would suggest you can say you were trained by the ncca, but cannot give the impression that you are a member.

As long as this is clearly stated on any literature I cannot see a problem.

Cheers

Doug

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »
I am relatively new to carpet cleaning. Just asked a few qs on training with the ncca. Now this post. This has definatley made me rethink and never going to join the ncca!

best of luck

Dapper

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:49:50 pm »
when you attend NCCA course

Do you get a Certificate

So when customer asks what training have you had or as part of your sales Presentation show your Certificates

I do not think they are happy with you putting NCCA trained in Logo.

NCCA has a compliance Officer he will be on their Web Site
 phone him up and ask him thats his job.

derek west

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:33:43 pm »
will do ian, just  getting some feedback first.
my thoughts doug.

ianharper

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »
Derek

How do you think you propects will feel about you when they check up to see if you where trained by the NCCA and find that you feel you dont need to invest in an on going training program with the NCCA?

it just like telling them that you dropped out of school.

if you are investing in yourself then use whatever program you are on. it does not make sence to tell you propects a negative about yourself.

Dapper, anyone thats anyone in carpet cleaning is a member, all the company's tat provide us with products feel its a good idea to be linked to the NCCA. that speaks for itself.

respect

Ian Harper

garyj

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:25:23 pm »
I would not ask them, I would say I was NCCA trained on my literature and websites. If you phone them they might say no, if you carry on anyway the onus is on them. Really cannot see them taking action even if they wanted to, you are stating a truth after all.

John Gregory

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:19:22 pm »
Derek  you have spent daft money setting up your business , You have a very professional set up there mate, is it worth trying to deceive customers for the sake of £ 250 a year I don't get a lot of work off them but I'm sure being a member helps me get work

John

Joe H

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:35:25 pm »
I am relatively new to carpet cleaning. Just asked a few qs on training with the ncca. Now this post. This has definatley made me rethink and never going to join the ncca!
best of luck
Dapper
Dapper
You are relatively new - Yes.
Best advice I can give at this moment is never dismiss anything.
You might not like something you seen or heared of "today", but "tomorrow" it might be the very thing you need, but if you have closed your mind to it, it may not open to it.

derek west

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:38:37 pm »
john, i have spent daft money setting up this business, but thats how i sell myself, people on here keep saying its a cut throut business so without standing out, you don't really stand a cat in hells chance, theres a lot of guys starting up on here with a £500 quid sec hand machine thrown into the back of a laguna, and i wish them all the luck in the world, but really, deep down all there gonna do is take a few jobs of the other guys, nothing sets them apart. its not the old days anymore. theres less carpets, theres more choice to diy. without my set up i'd be getting a few jobs here and there, the set up ive got is memorable, its in your face, it oozes quality and affordablility. thats my angle, starting out in business, you have to have an angle unless youve been going 20 years. i'm not saying you have to spend loads of money like me, and if i could of thought of a cheap angle, believe me i would of done so, but either way you need an angle that sells yourself.
i'm not decieving my customers in anyway what so ever, i have been trained by the ncca and enjoyed every minute of it, just because i'm not a member doesnt mean i'm decieving my customers, if asked i would tell them "i could be a member but i' wouldn't be so affordable" (tongue in cheek,) and as long as i can promote my business as trained by the ncca then i'd recommend there training course, it was very easy to follow and very enjoyable, so was the prochem, so was the cleansmart and the ltt, if i was worthy of advice for a start up i'd say training was essential and the more you get the more confident you can be to your customers, my other advice would be, make sure your giving your customers something that stands out from your competitors,
ian
the ncca do not vet there members once theyve been trained, theres no ongoing training, other than paid for.you dont have to retrain every so often, you dont have to have health and safety certificates, in fact you could go to the training and fall asleep and pass the test, then show your insurance and bingo your a member for life as long as you cough up. ive toyed with becoming a member and still may do so, but that will be purely to get work from them, allthough from some of the comments ive had from others, i doubt i will, maybe the ncca should spend some of that membership on SEO cos there no where to be seen when you type in carpet cleaners in your area. and theres no excuse for that when city-visitor and zettai can beat them and there nothing to do with carpet cleaning.

bye eck, is that the time.
sorry guys, ive been sleep typing again.
derek

spencer davies

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
Try tapping in NCCA on a National search (with no town or area) because that's what the customer will do, it's the National Carpet Cleaners Association after all,not the Birmingham Carpet Cleaners Association or any other town.

Personally, I think the fewer carpet cleaners that join in my area is a good thing, it makes my client conversion rate better!

S

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 06:50:21 pm »
If you want to set yourself apart The NCCA is just the start.

You could invest in Rug Courses leather courses  Take additional exams then there is hard floor  in fact there are so many certificates you need to make you a true  fully trained member of the cleaning community the mind boggles .

But if you have several it proves your own going commitment.

My personal view is The guy with a good quality  secomdhand machine can do just as good a job as anyone with the high end equipment.  Its also about who you know.

Its about your Attitude to your Customer.  Going the Extra Mile Attention to detail etc that sets you apart .

its about the clothes you wear  the way you conduct yourself inside and outside the house.

Indeed the way you behave in your Commumity

Your marketing   etc etc

garyj

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »
Come off it Spencer, you know enough about the web that when Joe Public wants their carpets cleaned they do not type NCCA into Google. They type  "carpet cleaner london" or wherever, but never ever ever NCCA.
If it was not for this forum I would not know what the NCCA is, let alone anyone outside the cleaning industry. 

derek west

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 07:03:56 pm »
spencer, go into town and ask 100 people,"if you needed a carpet cleaner and your only means of getting one was google, what would you type in"
i'm guessing, and this is just an educated guess, out of the 100 that tried it, i'd say about, well rough guess, and remember this is just an estimasated gues, give or take a few, i'm guessing that ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM WOULD PUT NCCA.
there is NO seo involved with your search term. if i had a web site called bigbadbuns.com and you typed in bigbadbuns, i'd be in the top 3 gauranteed.
ian,
totally agree with everything youve said but if everyone is doing that, and lets face it, if youve got competition, they must be doing that to, then you must agree with me that you still need and angle, a free cake with every clean, we clean your carpets while naked, or dressed as spiderman, ok, these are just to get my point across, (badly) but you get what i mean, and i think you'll agree that turning up in a  laguna, is not the best angle to start

spencer davies

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 07:10:47 pm »
If they want to find a body like Corgi or similar that relates to carpet cleaning then they will find it that way, some people know about the association and some don't butI always tell  people when I am quoting for a job, if the previous or even next carpet cleaner comes along, when replying no, leaves the job with us, more often than not. If you use it to your advantage, its a priceless tool.

I do agree with Ian, that if you want to be taken seriously, then the NCCA is a good idea.

S

John Gregory

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 07:16:44 pm »
Derek  I'm not knocking you for going out and investing in your business trust me that truckmount is the best bit of marketing you have ever done , I know because I did the same as you about 15 months ago that's how long I have been going  I don't even know what a porty is . Trust me that ncca membership does work  , tomorrow morning first job , I was the dearest out 3 quotes but I got the job , showed customer equipment I wound be using , then explained to her about the benefits about using a ncca member   I finished my little presentation to customer by saying to customer   ,   how can I compete on price with some numtie with 500 quids worth of equipment from B&Q  

John  

garyj

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »
Sounds to me like the customer was impressed with your truck mount more than your NCCA membership though ???