Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

Re: chewing gum removal
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 10:48:10 pm »
the Qc is untouchable when at full heat but the steams not that bad if any.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 10:54:21 pm »
This is what I did to myself on Wednesday!

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:35 pm »
Derek what sized jets have you on your wand and which wand have you got?

I have found that going up a jet size will release more heat and by taking the glide off (if you have one) you can use the metal lips to scrub the chewing gum off when it has started to turn to mush.

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 11:08:38 pm »
ive got a glide but never use it, its for sale if anyone wants it, still in its wrapper, not sure about jet size, i'm new, but then i thought the bigger the jet the less heat you can get, bit like turning the tap on with a combi boiler, if you run it slow its piping hot but if you turn it on full blast, less heat, or doesn't the trucky work like that????

Jim_77

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:02 pm »
Shaun - how did you manage to blur yourself so badly??!?!

Mick - I may post up a boring factual post somewhere, at some time, about heat :)

Derek - why haven't you tried your glide?  Don't sell it, use it!!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:05 pm »
There's a mid point where it won't work but if you look on the jets in small writing it will tell you also what wand have you got, is it a 2 jet?

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »
its a 2 jet hydramaster wand, got it with the trucky,
as for the glide, dont see any reason to put it on, i get better agitation with the wand without and its not that hard work.
ive got a brand new inline sprayer as well that i dont use, all though i haven't done any very large areas yet so i may hang  on to that just in case.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 11:29:50 pm »
Jim I was man handling the wand trying to get the vac pipe off as it was stuck on with all of the suction and just caught my sking with the QC which I had just put the valve to off and it must have built up the heat.

"Ouch" I quietly said!

Shaun

Jim_77

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:53 pm »
Sure you said that Shaun, sure you did :)

(it was actually a dig at your photography prowess :p)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 08:58:35 am »
Hi Guys

Natural rubber will vary in molecular weight and different fillers/processes etc so it's not really possible to give a definitive temperature at which it flows but for porty users I have found 90C in tank, which provided you keep a bucket with you to flush through, probably means about 80C at the nozzle tip.

I use a hand tool for better control.

Anyone whose ever removed gum knows different pieces soften at different rates, one of the reasons polymers don't have melting points is that they are a mixture of molecular weights etc.

Keeping it simple the hotter the water the more the rubber flow, but too hot could cause backing problems and also make the NR too stringy, find out what works best for you.

Cheers

Doug

stevegunn

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:20 am »
This is what I did to myself on Wednesday!

Shaun

You big jessie ::)

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 09:50:36 am »
By using the scraper that i mentioned you can expect to remove in the region of 10 - 20 pieces of gum in a minute depending on your ability.  No Residue,  No Solvent,  No hassle.

Richie.

Maybe on a hard floor but not carpet! Ill give you £1,000,000 if you can show proof of this?

carlton care

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 09:59:33 am »
Ritchie,
If that works for you, fine, but for others who don't want to be replacing damaged carpets, there are easier and safer ways of removing gum.

If you have high enough heat at the wand, it will release and be extracted as suggested by Shaun and Doug.

If your machine can't supply enough heat, you can use a heatgun, or better still a steamer, preferably one with built in vacuum.

There is often a residue remaining, which should be wiped with a piece of towel soaked in solvent, wrung out and applied quickly. If this is not done there will often be black, sticky residue, which will increase in size by " collecting " dust, etc.

robert m

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:53 am »
Well said Carlton Care. I have an open mind and am willing to listen to anyones comments but within reason. I did a job last night and managed to get two pieces of gum off with my hand tool very easily. This is not always possible ofcourse. Sometimes I use a little citrus gel for the odd bit but on larger areas will prefer to use the steam gun method. Works for me.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 11:06:22 am »
Richie served his time cleaning disgusting nightclubs where removing gum is a big part, if he says he can remove 10-20 a minute I believe him.

'cutting' gum off the top of a carpet is a useful technique and works well on very dense heavy weaved pile.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

colin thomas

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 02:21:58 pm »
derek, if you really don't want the glide give me a call, i'm interested,

colin  01525 851 811
colin thomas

derek west

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 02:56:37 pm »
far as i know theres 3 types of glides colin, drill holes, long type holes and then a mixture of the 2. mine is a mixture of the 2, ive enclosed a picture of it, £100 from hydra master last time i looked, make me an offer.

carlton care

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 09:55:01 pm »
To use a scraper as suggested on hard gum is asking for trouble..............I've done clubs and pubs also, but the worst gum removal job I ever did was a High Street shop.

Hard gum is not unlike adhesive and adhesive will destroy even tough tiles if you try to force it off, but if that's the gamble you want to take...............YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

good luck

robert m

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 01:27:43 pm »
pierce with fork,or perforator then use some freezer spray will harden the gum making it brittle then it will just come away then rinse with your normal extractor

richie

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 10:20:38 pm »
Common sense will tell you what carpets you can use any choosen gum removal system.  Certainly the club & pub, bingo halls and so on will not be a problem using the scrapper i have mentioned provided that you know how to do it right.  10 - 20 pieces is easily achievable especially if you are surrounded by gum like i have been MANY MANY times.  Steam could easily do alot of damage to a carpet pile/backing, Solvents can also cause problems so as i have said....use common sense & choose the system that will offer safest results.

Skywalker, 
If you are serious of paying me that amount of money to remove at least 10 pieces of gum and maybe upto 20 from a carpet in 1 minute i will take up your challenge.  I will choose the venue and you bring the cash.  £1,000,000 is alot of cash though so could you please make sure that it is in £50 notes.  I would have to insist on cash in UK sterling only.

Richie.