Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

commercial work secret
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
Do a search on getting commercial work in the CC section and you will find the majority are one post threads.

Got me thinking this is to some degree because the areas people are going to cover geographically are far greater and therefore feel they might lose business to competition.

Or is it perhaps that most here are doing residential, or commercial CC are far to busy making £££££ to reply.

On the other hand post a thread on How big is my Truckmount and people are falling all over themselves to reply.

Any thoughts?

Doug Holloway

Re: commercial work secret
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:17:12 pm »
Hi Mike

I don't think there is any secret or conspiracy of silence , it's just people genuinely don't know and it is very difficult.

An awful lot of big commercial is tied up by the big cleaning firms like OCS where the premises manager will not even consider an independent CC unless he has contacts.

I have recently picked up a big commercial via the internet but at this stage am not sure what search term was used, but think it could be through my dry carpet cleaning sites.

They are really impressed with the work, LM and keep saying they have never had it so clean despite using porty and TM operators in the past.

It's another thing I like about the internet that one can communicate at a higher level than an ad in a directory.

Probably the best way is to call in person, but expect this to be a long hard slog.

Cheers

Doug

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:41:38 pm »
I did ask Simon Gerrard in one of the threads

but i do not think he replied.

Was looking at Sevicemaster Franchise which i came across while seeing what was going on at Yell com

Looks like they split Carpet cleaning into commercial residential and flood ie three seprate franchises

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:42:58 pm »
Doug is right, there is no big secret, nor a conspiracy of silence. A lot of the big commercial jobs are covered by tenders and contracts which often go to the lowest bidder.
Strangely in my experience what seems more important than anything else to the premises managers and contract buyers is that the work gets done however and whenever and the quality often seems to play second fiddle. Also, these jobs often go to the lowest bidder so are not attractive for the likes of us to do.
It's a different world and one I'm glad I'm not involved in, even though I used to be.

Simon

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:51:06 pm »
We are always going on about marketing on here but rarely do you see people talking about prospecting. Maybe it's a sales term but it's a good one. Just like you dig for gold you have to spend time and energy prospecting for the real nuggets.

This is why sometimes you have to say no to a crappy cheap jobs and spend the time finding good, long term clients. It's hard when you are starting cos you need the cash, but if you do that you will never do anything better.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:48 pm »
Hi Guys

When I was in Technical Sales I spent 6 months just getting a trial at Ladybird Books, these things don't happen overnight.

Mike is right about being focussed on a campaign.

As for smaller commercial I survived the last recession by cold calling these  and still have some as customers now.

Put on a smart shirt and trews, tie if you feel more comfortable and go and call, it's better than sitting on here during the day feeling sorry for yourself.

Cheers

Doug

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:57:17 pm »
So Mike, tell us about prospecting.
I'm really quite fascinated by this, 'get rid of your crap clients and go and get good ones.' and I'd love someone to explain it to me, or us.
I think Dave Liahona is the master of that particular marketing skill.

Simon

Steve Chapman

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:54 pm »
when i first started up in business i spent a good five years trying to break into the commercial side all to no avail,

Then a client i had who worked for a letting agency went to work for the council and within a few weeks landed me three big contracts that we continue to do to this day, and although i'm glad it does  show its who you know a lot of the time  ::)

She told me that although alot of contracts should go out to tender, they normally have a good idea who will get the work anyhow, and follow that route.

Since that time when doing domestic jobs i make it a point of steering the conversation around to what they do for work, that way you can get a foot in the door if its a big company etc, i got a big holiday camp this way, just because i cleaned the guys lounge carpet, it didnt dawn on him to get me in until i offered, and he was the site services manager  ::)

Like i said it seems its who you know and who recommneds you,

i dont think to this day i've got any commercial work through advertising or marketing material, just being in the right place :)

Regards
steve

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:22:49 pm »
Steve,
You're dead right with that.
I once got a business card of the senior Manager of quite a large cruise line who happened to be walking past my van which was parked down a backstreet while I was attending a hospital appointment in Bolton (I'll do anything to avoid paying parking charges... well, I'm only a cleaner after all, can't afford it) he had noticed the other cruise lines we work for on the side of the van so asked me to give him a call.

Simon

lands

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
There is abit of luck involved and of course who knows who but I am currently working on a number of models to push this side of the business forward.

There are a number of things that spring to mind but a simple one to get the mind focused in this direftion is to always read your local press and be highly aware of business trends not directly involved in CCing but that are local to you. Spend a few days thinking about it and you will find some direction. If you have the motivation you then need to set some goals and attach some realistic timeframes to them. Whilst you are going along this route make sure you have some timed signposts to check that the direction is correct. Bitr like driving a car from a to b, you have to steer.

Pete

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:39:32 pm »
Nice one Steve,

Anyone remember the old IBM line?  You won't get fired if you choose IBM.

I suspect a lot of work goes to those who don't put the decision maker in a position where fingers are pointed at them. In short, can you be trusted not to screw up.

Simon,

Yes you got it, you are constantly trying to upgrade your client list, ditching the ones that are hassle or not spending enough. Now don't get me wrong, did a job for £50 today, nice lady but I will not actively put time in. Some will no doubt say she may know Richard Branson and he wants a CC, but in reality birds of a feather flock together.

Most people have heard of the 80/20 rule, you want to spend your time with that 20 cos they will give you the 80% of your earning.

Get a book on generic sales, it's different to marketing. Learn where to put your energies and learn to close more of these. Add good sales skills to Showing them the product.

What I will admit is I did this stuff for 15 years, move into CC and I spend hours and hours  leafleting  the masses, why, because that's what everybody else seemed to be doing in this industry.  ::)

Len Gribble

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:17 pm »
Mike

I do extremely well out of it. Thanks. :D Oh without the tm some I could not do! :-X

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Bennie25

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:45 pm »
Theres not much info on it cus no one on here does much commercial c/cing, as said they use there contract cleaners, they only call us to price check. 

TommyB

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:54:27 pm »
I did nothing but commercial work for the best part of 18 years and I can tell without a doubt that is just aint worth it. The economic downturn seems to have forced more and more people towards the commercial sector offering silly prices like 35p psm in the worse case. So I gave it up and have turned to the domestic market which I find very profitable indeed.
Tom

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 08:59:30 pm »
What i think for my 2pence worth is Carpet cleaners arent deep down sales paople....well the most of them ..........if you think about it yell, The phone book and Thomsons all use cold calling as a means of getting new business.......

How many of you in your spare afternoons. go round and cold call on all the local companies to you ???????

Hotels, B+Bs, factorys, office blocks....the list goes on and yeah some might take the commecial cleaning co to do the work ......but its not what they do all the time and thats the messsage you have to get accross........a painter does'nt lay bricks....does he !!!!!

If you really want it go get it....commecial work doesnt come to you !!!!!

the only thing is the now....are they spending ????????? and are they Paying ?????????.........and the end of the day Domestic is bread and Butter......

Commercial should be the cake...........plus if you want to get into it ...train and get into Fire and flood...it was only the other day the was Jk i think looking for a CC in Scotland thet does it.......at that point i said to myself i wish i did !!!!!!

Now what am i going to do about it...more to the point to make sure i dont miss out again ?????,......No Telling you ...lol....
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Len Gribble

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:51 pm »
Tom

Well-said keep them away from commercial if they can get it. ;D

Mike

One machine will not cover all aspects of commercial you will probably need three. ;)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

TommyB

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 09:13:08 pm »
Len
Sorry mate not with you on that?
Tom

Len Gribble

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 07:35:37 am »
tom

I can tell without a doubt that is just aint worth it ;)

Len

davep

clinton

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 05:55:29 pm »
I cleaned a carpet for a client and she was a manager from a company from salford queys and now i do all the cleaning of the carpets there  :)