This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

m.b.s.

bently brush
« on: July 05, 2008, 04:48:42 pm »
many of you have purchased bently brushes i was wondering if this is the right one also any help on how to convert it to a wf brush and also who was selling the brass 2mm jets on here for 2.00
if its the wrong one i only paid 2.99 for it and i got a free mop with it mop will come in handy for dorway entrences on com jobs anyway
any help and advise please

Jeff Brimble

Re: bently brush
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 05:01:01 pm »
Right brush but its only £1.44 from Asda   8)

m.b.s.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »
ok i must have paid for the mop but it said it was free :'(
so how do i convert it u guys and are these a good brush to use

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:15:59 pm »
I dont like flocked brushes myself, but to convert it remove some of the bristles for jet holes or se the jets over the top either glued to the stock or through, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

m.b.s.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 05:26:13 pm »
I dont like flocked brushes myself, but to convert it remove some of the bristles for jet holes or se the jets over the top either glued to the stock or through, Luke
why dont you like flocked luke i have only used mono?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 05:33:45 pm »
flocked brushes catch dirt and keep it, therefore causing spotting, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

m.b.s.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 06:06:43 pm »
flocked brushes catch dirt and keep it, therefore causing spotting, Luke
so you dont like them because you cannot rinse on with them am i right
good point

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:38:52 pm »
Here are some photos of a Bentley brush I converted.

The holes are 6 mm. This gives a nice tight fit to the pencil jets. Because the brush back is so much thinner than a Vikan, the jets stick out. I never found this to be a problem as they never touched the glass.

You have to remove bristles, of course.  I think I probably removed too many. There was no need to remove the strip in the centre. It's only necessary to remove those immediately surrounding the jet.

You can use one of the holes left by the bristles as a pilot hole to drill the 6 mm hole.

Yes, it worked fine. I didn't find any problems with it being flocked.

Many people say that flocked brushes hold dirt whereas monofilament brushes don't. Just because people say it, doesn't mean that it's true. It doesn't mean that it's untrue either! Plenty of people use both flocked and monofilament and get perfect results. I think it comes down to technique and knowing your brush.

The main advantage is, of course, that it's soooooo light compared to the Vikan. It really does make a difference when reaching at an angle to get to awkward windows over conservatories etc.

The disadvantage I found is that it's poor quality compared to the Vikan and doesn't last as long. But at cost of less than a fiver, who cares?

ftp

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:48:28 pm »
If you use Gardiners jets you will need a 4.8mm hole drilled for them i believe.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 06:59:21 pm »
4.8 mm diameter, hey? OK, advice is: (i) to measure your jets before drilling any holes and (ii) don't take advice from twits like me as gospel.

And another point worth making is that there is no law which says that the jets have to be on the centre line of the brush.  There is no reason why they should not be in the top row of bristles or even mounted on the top edge of the brush.

And with the low cost of the brush, you can experiment and find what you like best and what suits the way you work.

m.b.s.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 07:15:54 pm »
cheers wally the window cleaner nice pics just need to get jets sorted now then

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »
cheers wally the window cleaner nice pics just need to get jets sorted now then

Always happy to help.  ;D

dai

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 07:18:29 pm »
And another thing is that there is no law which says that the jets have to be on the centre line of the brush.  There is no reason why they should not be in the top row of bristles or even mounted on the top edge of the brush.

And with the low cost of the brush, you can experiment and find what you like best and what suits the way you work.
And there's no law that says that jets  have to be of a given length either, I make jets that are only 5mm long.
I use Algarde aquarium hose for jetting up brushes, and brass wood screws for making the jets.
Drill a hole slightly bigger than the hose diameter half way through the brush, drill a hole the same diameter as the hose the rest of the way through.
Push the hose through the brush, stick your jet into the end of it, and pull the hose back up so that the jet is wedged in the hole. It's as simple as that.
The hose won't pull off the jet either, like it does sometimes when you catch the hose round a patio door handle.

Trying to drill 2mm holes through a 1 inch length of brass was a pain, even on the lathe, drilling a hole through 5mm is a piece of cake

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 07:20:58 pm »
Just because people say it, doesn't mean that it's true.

Wally I would stake my life on this being fact. They just do. In my opinion there is no argument, Luke

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 07:30:06 pm »
Quote was: Just because people say it, doesn't mean that it's true. It doesn't mean that it's untrue either!

I gave myself a get out clause there intentionally. I was a little suspicious about this and open to persuasion.

But if you are that confident, Luke, I happily bow to your greater knowledge. You have persuaded me.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 07:33:54 pm »
I happily bow to your greater knowledge. You have persuaded me.

greater knowledge, I doubt that. I just know it as fact from using flocked Vikans, Bentleys etc etc and mono Vikans, Ionics, Tuckers etc etc. Oh and the Tucker brush is just fantastic, its a real time saver, just a brilliant brush, Luke

m.b.s.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 07:43:11 pm »
luke dose this happen if you rinse on or off i always rinse off unless high then i semi rinse on and off with one edge of the brush off the glass going down the glass

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 07:45:21 pm »
Flocked are especially bad for rinsing on, and I dont believe its even an option with a flocked myself. Luke

dai

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »
Flocked are especially bad for rinsing on, and I dont believe its even an option with a flocked myself. Luke

Yet I do it all the time with excellent results. A lot of it is down to where you place the jets.
I place mine one row of bristles down from the top, so there is only one row of bristles that could leave any debris, and that row is washed constantly.
Think about it, if you were using jets mounted over the top of the brush, the last thing that touches the glass would still be water. Your brush is underneath so it's the same as rinsing off.

m.b.s.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 08:15:11 pm »

Yet I do it all the time with excellent results. A lot of it is down to where you place the jets.
I place mine one row of bristles down from the top, so there is only one row of bristles that could leave any debris, and that row is washed constantly.
Think about it, if you were using jets mounted over the top of the brush, the last thing that touches the glass would still be water. Your brush is underneath so it's the same as rinsing off.
can you post a pic as not quite sure what you mean i now i am a bit thick