This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kevin R

Ground floor pole ~ Residential
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:44:40 am »

What poles do you guys use for ground floor on residential houses? what size are they closed?

I use the mini-pole from Omnipole. Its Aluminum with a plastic sleeve and extends from 1m - 1.6m (3.2 ft - 5.2 ft) I find it just the right length not to catch plant pots, furniture etc. Its also is a very hard wearing pole.

h ttp://www.omnipole.com/omnipoles.htm

Is there a true pole that is short enough when closed and long enough when extended to clean the average house well?, or is it a two pole job?

Re: Ground floor pole ~ Residential
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:33:09 pm »
Here's my ground floor pole. Actually, it's more of a bungalow pole, but I will use it if my regular pole won't fit and I can't reach to do it the old fashioned way.

It's a Harris pole! 1.3 m to 2.4 m. As it's for low level work, I haven't even bothered with a gooseneck.

Photo 1 - the complete pole.

Photo 2 - a single over-the-top jet

Photo 3 - how the jet is attached

Photo 4 - the tap

As you can see, it's all held together with cable ties and I'm using an Addis brush!

That's OK. It's a work in progress and I expect it to evolve as I learn more about the way it behaves and I try different brushes and maybe jets.

It was made because i work on quite a few properties where windows are inaccessible to long poles because of walls or other features, but are accessible to a shorter pole. So far it has been fine. And it cost very little to put together.

I can see improvements, notably to the jetting. Maybe others can suggest improvements as well.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »

What poles do you guys use for ground floor on residential houses? what size are they closed?

I use the mini-pole from Omnipole. Its Aluminum with a plastic sleeve and extends from 1m - 1.6m (3.2 ft - 5.2 ft) I find it just the right length not to catch plant pots, furniture etc. Its also is a very hard wearing pole.

Is there a true pole that is short enough when closed and long enough when extended to clean the average house well?, or is it a two pole job?

We use the 13ft Xtel poles as they are very light, quick to use, very compact and will still reach 90% of standard two storey houses.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:51:20 pm »
we use 4ft extenders 2ft ish closed

xline-systems.co.uk/epages/eshop146176.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop146176/Products/WFPE/SubProducts/WFPE-0001

I have not price shopped so just for an example for you to see.

Ian

Mike 108

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:05:29 pm »
Ian (Window Washers)

Your Addis brush looks like it once had 2 jets fitted (one each end along the top).

Why are you no longer using that set-up? (or am I wrong?).

Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 01:16:07 pm »
Ian (Window Washers)

Your Addis brush looks like it once had 2 jets fitted (one each end along the top).

Why are you no longer using that set-up? (or am I wrong?).

Mike

Actually it's Wally, not Window Washers.

Yes, well spotted. And if you look carefully, you can see where I'd removed bristles as well.

It did have 2 high-level pencil jets fitted. I used it for a while like this, but wasn't happy with it. 2 reasons:

(i) They were pencil jets and I prefer fans.

(ii) The Addis brush isn't very good for washing windows IMO!!!

A third reason was that I didn't drill the holes very accurately and one jet went higher than the other!  :-[

I'm going to experiment with high-level fans with a different brush when I get a bit of free time.

This pole is as much for playing with as for working.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 05:31:26 pm »

I have an Omnipole 2 x 3ft and an Ionics 2 x 2ft.  Both have their uses as some ground floor windows are a bit high for the Ionics pole and some places are a bit tight for the Omnipole.  I think the ideal one would be 3 x 2ft.  Short when closed but can reach a bit higher when occasionally needed.

dai

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:56:23 pm »
Needless to say mines cobbled, the one I use cost a quid from the car boot, the other identical pole was rescued from a skip, one shows it closed, the other fully extended.