Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macleod

The Real Deal
« on: July 04, 2008, 07:25:21 pm »
Hello friends,

Many of you know me as I've been on this forum for a few years now (going back to the great WFP verses Ladders debates) anyway I know this is the best place to start looking for some answers for my "Friend"...

Looking for lots of ideas here, as my “Friend” has reached a point in his business and wonders the best way forward... He has the following business:

£100K Turnover
99% WFP 1% Ladders
£30k Domestic
£70k Commercial
Established over 4 years
2 clean vans 1000 & 400 litres respectively
It takes 2 people Full time
Covers North London to Coventry.

What’s this worth 1) Subcontract it all out 2) Someone to buy outright or 3) Someone to buy over 5 year period?

I'd be interested in considered replies.
Cheers

macmac

Re: The Real Deal
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:42:50 pm »
Can't help you on the considered reply front but- WOW, what a round! 8)
That'll put a few to shame on here. ;D

Tony

LWC

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:45:29 pm »
with that sort of turnover id say your "friend" best to stick at it. thats some going, why stop now

macleod

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 08:02:09 pm »
just so everyone is clear my Fried is not trying to get into mine is bigger than yours competition, but thanks, I'll pass the comments on.
cheers so far

macmac

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:03:24 pm »
just so everyone is clear my Fried is not trying to get into mine is bigger than yours competition, but thanks, I'll pass the comments on.
cheers so far

Who fried him?

macleod

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:04:34 pm »
er.. Friend! eagle eyes  ;)

macmac

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 08:06:54 pm »
er.. Friend! eagle eyes  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Wish he was my friend, i'm sure we could come to some deal. ;)

Tony

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 08:17:08 pm »
I can't give a considered comment either, but would have almost as much interest as you have in any answers.

One thing does strike me, and that is that despite the good top line the ex's must be heavy (nights away -diesel- eating take aways etc) recompensing any employee for this etc. Also I imagine it's not too great for family life.Anyone buying this would have to be prepared for a very frentic lifestyle

Anyway your friend has done very well to biuld that in four years.Chances are your friend could succeed in any walk of life.

DASERVICES

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 08:29:41 pm »
Sell it to Initial they have just taken over a few companies, Wesco being one of them

macmac

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:31:08 pm »
Also I imagine it's not too great for family life.Anyone buying this would have to be prepared for a very frentic lifestyle

Just up your street Mr. Sol. ;)
Investment, drive, enthusiasm, money, business profile, image etc! what you waiting for? :P Think of the respect & reddies man 8)

Tony

macleod

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 08:53:41 pm »
hours are usally start at 8am finish at 3pm
invoices iven on the day
cash cheques and bac payments no evening/weekend work... my friend says

whos is Mr Sol

and Whats the deal with initial?

macmac

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 08:59:05 pm »
invoices iven on the day

whos is Mr Sol

Mr. Sol is discount window cleaning, a top business professional in this & previous lifes. gain his respect & you've made it! simple as! ;)

Tony (just a humble w/c'er)

macleod

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:57:06 pm »
so any ideas about what’s this is all worth?

1) Subcontract it all out
2) Someone to buy outright
3) Someone to buy over 5 year period?

Cheers MacLeod

scud

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 10:06:05 pm »
 100k turnover is one thing, but is useless if the profit is only 10%.

What is the profit fron it?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »
100k turnover is one thing, but is useless if the profit is only 10%.

What is the profit fron it?

less two men in two vans, diesel, insurances kit etc.

We're down to 45/50K now.

Now if your "friend" is one of the two men he's doing very well - but if that 50k is just paying him and his wife to oversee run the biz, do the accounts, that aint too bad either.

What's 50k a year worth to give up and start something else?

100k now, a guaranteed handover wage of 50k for a year and a 100k at the end? And the biz gets signed over 50% at the start and the final 50% at the end?

I don't know, how old is your friend?

Out of my depth really...
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:36:57 pm »
I don't understand 8 till 3 weekdays no nights away or weekends??? How do cover london to cov without traveling?

MacMac, I don't know anything about commercial work. I know enough to get by on domestic. What I find is that whatever you do it turns into a reflection of yourself.My WC numbers aren't as good as these, about half with no commercial, but try and remember I have been  going just 16 mths and I still have heavy time commitements to my other biz.

I post less than I used to partly because people don't seem to like the technical progressions i have made (hot system, electric reel, pole hose tidy, marketing breakthroughs), and partly because I have found most of the answers I was after. A lot of the comments i could make about the numbers you can't say on a public forum,even in relation to a 'friend'.

Good begining Malc, but there are other variables if there is vat etc that has to be taken off, also anything you gave him would attract capitol gains etc and due diligence ( his books would have to show vat payments etc)

matt

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:40:24 pm »
invoices iven on the day

whos is Mr Sol

Mr. Sol is discount window cleaning, a top business professional in this & previous lifes. gain his respect & you've made it! simple as! ;)

Tony (just a humble w/c'er)

you make him sound like the "don"  :P :P

NWH

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:08:10 pm »
After paying wages and running of vans and insurances etc he`ll be lucky to end up with 50k a year.

twt

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 11:54:09 am »
I would say most people on here (myself included) have little or no experience in running a business of this size. I would suggest that your friend needs to use the services of a business advisor to decide the best way forward. The only thing you know about anyone giving advice on this forum is that they can use a computer you don't know there credentials and your friend needs advice from someone he can trust. This  forum is brillant for info on the practical side of window cleaning but any other info needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

j.v. price ltd

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 12:01:18 pm »
I would have a chat with him with regards to the commercial work on a purchase plan or sub contract basis.

Get him to get in touch if he would split
Charlie