This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Conservatories - what would you do?
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:22:47 pm »
I'm at the capacity in a month that I want to be and am "pruning" the less profitable and adding the more profitable. I don't want to employ.

But this time of the year I sometimes have a bit of spare time and occasionally I'll take on a conservatory clean or two in a month.

I like the extra dosh, but I don't enjoy the (harder, messier) work. But then I'm only using my standard wfp and squeegie off.

Should I buy some better gear and chemicals (if so, what?) and do it faster; should I pass on the work to a w/c I can trust and get, say £10 commission per job and be rid of it; or should I just say "I don't do conservatory roofs" to my custies?

Ideas and experience please!
It's a game of three halves!

Nathanael Jones

Re: Conservatories - what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:29:01 pm »
You'd be surprised what a difference some TFR makes to that kind of job,... or even a bit of chloras & some fairy liquid mixed together (Diluted of course) in a backpack and sprayed on,.. left for 10 mins before you start cleaning.
It takes the hard graft out of the job, saves time, and gives a result that will have the recommendations pouring in.

I'd say try the TFR/IPA/etc etc, before you decide anything else,.. if you still don't like it, pass it on to someone for a finders fee.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:37:27 pm »
If you use TFR (which I also recommend!) make sure its non-caustic.

Instead of turning  down con roofs why dont you put a put in a price that you would be very pleased with. If they dont take it - No loss!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

pure-water

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »
From my point of view, having in the past considered similar questions I would do the commission idea you suggested.  Money for nothing.

Don’t get me wrong; there is loads of money in doing extra jobs.

But if you can prune your work so they are all good prices you might find that you get that “extra dosh” anyway.

As we all know, cleaning windows is so quick and simple. Job done, then you’re away.

Extra time available for more important things.

As I said, just my point of view.

Martin

vivaro 013

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:05 pm »
can you please explain what is chloras is tyou

mick hay

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:58:09 pm »
Firstly, i find TFR doesnt make any difference to the cleaning of a conservatory!!   I have a 25 ltr drum of it standing in my garage going dusty!!

I know how you feel Malc re do you want to take on the extra work. I been going 3 yrs now and the back of my van is dedicated to offering a conservatory cleaning service.

When i get a call for it, i think "oh god i cant be bothered'...lol

Not out of laziness, but i have so much well priced work on with the windows, i dont really need to bust a gut cleaning the conservatories now!

I hate turning down work, but i dont want to be the richest bloke in the grave yard!!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »
Firstly, i find TFR doesnt make any difference to the cleaning of a conservatory!!   I have a 25 ltr drum of it standing in my garage going dusty!!I know how you feel Malc re do you want to take on the extra work. I been going 3 yrs now and the back of my van is dedicated to offering a conservatory cleaning service.

When i get a call for it, i think "oh god i cant be bothered'...lol

Not out of laziness, but i have so much well priced work on with the windows, i dont really need to bust a gut cleaning the conservatories now!

I hate turning down work, but i dont want to be the richest bloke in the grave yard!!!

That's a worry about TFR! I was just girding myself up to buy some!

mick hay

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:05:55 pm »
Hook your pole up to the custies tap and use there water straight outa the tap........normal water shifts the muck.

Ive done loads of cons, and learnt that you only need water........If the custies watching you, i have a spray bottle with a special mixture (water) which i spray the roof with..lol.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »
IMO TFR does make a different on con roofs, it makes the job easier.

I did one the other day that took 4 hours about  2 years ago this time it took 2 hours  using tfr

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 06:17:26 pm »
Conservatories are good money and its worth gearing up for them. Make sure you only choose ones you can do.
I have a garden sprayer with washing up liquid in it and an old pole and brush that has been brought out of retirement. It now hooks up to a hozelock connector so it goes onto a tap.

It works a treat and cost next to nothing.

macmac

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 06:22:40 pm »
Use tfr & you will only have to brush the roof, don't use it & you will have to scrub! hard!

There must be differences between brands of tfr as some report it being no good, the stuff i've got works a treat & yes i've done 'em with & without.

I also find you can charge the earth for con' roofs, so much so i feel guilty sometimes. Customers don't know the value of such a service & that is to your advantage. ;)

Tony

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 06:39:35 pm »
Use tfr & you will only have to brush the roof, don't use it & you will have to scrub! hard!

There must be differences between brands of tfr as some report it being no good, the stuff i've got works a treat & yes i've done 'em with & without.

I also find you can charge the earth for con' roofs, so much so i feel guilty sometimes. Customers don't know the value of such a service & that is to your advantage. ;)

Tony

What TFR do you use and where do you get it please Tony?

mick hay

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 07:02:07 pm »
With just tap water, you just brush...done 100's of these.

Instead, i would buy a dedicated pole and hosereel for custies tap and off you go.

I bought TFR, conservatory roof ladder, all the gear...now use tap water and A frame ladder, average time to complete, top to toe....2 hrs.

Pitmonkey (wayne) came out with me one day, i did 4, all with tap water...ask him how easy it was!!!    ;)

macmac

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »

Tony

What TFR do you use and where do you get it please Tony?

Got mine from smarterworld (a valeting supplier) but they don't seem to exsist anymore, it was recomended on here.

Tony

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »
I now only do conservatory roofs for my regular customers i have done before on there roof but only when i have time so they usually have to wait a month or two

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:02 pm »
can you please explain what is chloras is tyou
Its a chlorine based sterilising agent normally used in dairy farms. Its CHEAP!! €16 for 25 litres,.. and its great for removing/softening baked on green algae.
TFR is better,.. but more expensive.