Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Martin-Swinscoe

Taking the plunge in 1 month
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:43:03 pm »
Hi
I've dicided to take the plunge headfirst and go into window cleaning full time. I'm in the throws of buying a round and with the customers that i already have it'll be around 260, I should ? i should make a decent wage.
The wife is absolutley worried sick about going self employed as i'm just about to give up a comfy wage of around £1,200 pm but that is doing 12 hour days/night shifts.
I'm fed up of working those long hours and i don't see the point in working for 12 hours for the same money if i can earn it in 6/7 hours.
Are their any words of wisdom from anyone that you could please tell her that i am doing the right thing?

Dean Aspects

Re: Taking the plunge in 1 month
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:53:05 pm »
Your comfy 12 hr shift job earning £1200 will soon look like peanuts as long as you stick at it and keep motivated which is the hardest thing about the job
Set yourself targets some small easy ones and some long range ones and work towards these that should keep the motivation going

cvdewsbury

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:54:04 pm »
have you got past experience of the job?

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:56:04 pm »
Yes mate i've been doing it for 2 years.

mr D

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:56:32 pm »
please dont try to run before you can walk!! learn the basics!!

good luck!

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 07:01:04 pm »
Hi Martin,

I was a bit like you 4 years ago working 12 hour shifts when i decided to go head first into window cleaning I had never even cleaned a window before that. What i would say is yes i think you are doing the right thing you seem to have a decent round already so there will be money coming in and the get up and go to make it a success, not sure if your doing trad or wfp i would highly recommend going wfp mainly for the safety side of things but it also brings in extra add ons but i would stick with trad methods for 6 months or so untill your positive yourself this is what you want to do. But all in all for me personally it is 100% for sure a better way of life then working long shifts and for someone else and the only person who can make it succeed or fail is yourself.

So good luck mate, and as for the Mrs just show her a few threads where people are boasting on how much money they earn I'm sure she will see more positives then lol.

Paul

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:06:20 pm »
Cheers paul for wise words, i'm as near as damn it that i can succeed. I just hope my lady could see the light. oh well a couple of holidays abroad a year ;) (heres hoping tongue in cheek)and a nice car ;)(heres hoping tongue in the other cheek this time) hopefully will convince her that we done the right thing.

elite mike

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »
hi martin
just to  wish you good luck

you can also add services like carpet cleaning etc

it helps keep the money coming in all weathers  :D

mike

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 07:16:21 pm »

Go for it Martin!

Years ago I left a well paid job on a Friday and started window cleaning with no customers at all on the Monday. I canvassed Monday then cleaned the work I got on Tuesday and so on.

Attention to detail, persevance and taking the rough with the smooth are all part of it. I personally think that you have made the right move and your good lady will agree with you very soon.

All the very best with it.

Andrew

mr D

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 07:26:43 pm »
i started for my self in april 07 after 6years working for my dad learning/mastering the trade ;)  8)

when i started on my own my wife and i were sooooo scared. i applyed to become a postman to keep a good wadge coming in while i built work up. it took about 2 months to pass the interview's medicals etc. by the time they offered me the job i'd of been taking a wadge drop by taking it!

i was at a slight advantage because i had a handfull of customas already but there are far more windows than window cleaners so fear not, its one of the soundest trades to get in to!

but what i will say is dont start talking of holidays and new cars yet. set yourself a year of hardcore working to give your self foundations. you will be working so hard it will fly by! 

ftp

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 07:55:06 pm »
Yep, go for it but don't expect customers to come flocking to you it won't happen straight away. Do a top job and word soon gets round - there's nothing better than customers coming to you - nothing worse than begging for work in my opinion. Has to be done though to start with.  ;)

cvdewsbury

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 07:58:49 pm »

It will be a walk in the park for you with experience you've also gt the weather on your side at the moment,easy,easy,easy!

mr D

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:23:08 pm »
martin where abouts you setting up?

griffmorr

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:26:13 pm »
Good luck mate, i was a hgv  driver for 20 yrs took the plunge 2 yrs ago, now gone wfp , at first it was me and the mrs, but just me now much easier with wfp, i work a max of 4 days some times 3, start 0830 finish 3 and  earn more than BOTH of us were when we were working in ordinary jobs, nothing fancy work out of a peugeot 306(seats down) with a freedom trolley, barrels,and a  24 ft pole. just domestics, family life a lot better, wife at home all day no stress at all. youve gotta go for it mate, theres enough work for everyone out there.

All the best keep the faith.

terry

alanwilson

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:56:22 pm »
if you have 260 customers then you're bound to bring in a decent wage for the first month!

I'm going to assume average price for each custy of £8 = £2080

thats roughly £100 a day, doesny sound like much but thats a good wage matey.

I say go for it - its not easy at the start, you will prob ache for weeks but its a great job and I mean that.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

oliver collins

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 09:35:31 pm »
You will never regret the move over to window cleaning as long as you veiw it as a job and not a doss as some newbes do.Nice to hear from andrew mccan again pure freedom not the same without you.
Oliver Collins
Rise & Shine Window Cleaning
ps Sorry to go off topic  ???

chrismroberts

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:45:12 pm »
Mate, it'll be pretty scary at first.... but going self employed isn't as risky as it seems, especially on the windows.

Your wife is bound to be worried, but one thing I've learnt is that when you have a "comfy" job, all your eggs are in 1 basket.... lose that one job and you've lost your entire living....

With the windows, and the round you've built up, your eggs will be in 260 different baskets... you'll have a regular, secure, near recession proof income. Granted you've no sick pay etc, but get some money in the bank and decent income protection insurance and you'll be fine whatever happens :)

Best of luck to ya mate... best move you'll ever make :D:D

Another good tip is... Look after your customers!! You really can't beat great customer service, it'll keep the customers youve got, and it'll get you a good reputation and new work :)

Chris

tacky

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
welcome to the fold .

Ian W

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:02:45 pm »
My wife was the same when I went full-time a couple of months ago.

We are starting to see the benefits of the hard work I am putting in and things are slowly getting better for us.

Your wife will see this too, I am sure.  ;)

Good luck!
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:56 pm »
martin where abouts you setting up?

I'm in south shropshire,
Many thanks for the kind words, can't see how i can fail buit up a decent round with custys that i have got now. But with this new round that i'm about to buy, should put a decent wedge on the table. as long as i can earn enough and go and have pint at the weekend. I'll be happy. but to tell you the truth i want to do better than that ;)