Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: gutter vacs any good?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 11:47:12 pm »
I bought one of these with 17metres of hose two months ago.  The whole thing cost me £390 but it has paid for itself five times over in that time, I now need to look at setting at all up to operate from the ground.  This is more than powerfull enough though and you only need to move the vacuum once or twice to access all round the average detatched house.  Best money I've spent this summer!!

Just put the item number into ebay and search, company is based in Liverpool and extremely helpful.

Ideal for Carwash, Valetting,Garages, cars, vans & HGV    Item number: 350074572980

I've been looking longingly at this as well. The only question I have is the diameter of the hose. I think it's 38 mm or 1 1/2 inches.

Is that right?

Is it enough? I'd assumed that 51 mm or 2 inch was better.

Is it 38 mm? Is that enough or did you mod it to 51 mm?

Brian B

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 08:24:54 am »
The vac hose is 38mm however, I personally have only had one problem with this, and it was cleaning dirty full gutters just after rainfall and I thought one of the vacuums was broken (there was a change to the tone of the machine).  The problem was there was a build up of sludge along the length of the hose which was restricting air flow, now that I know this happens I keep an eye on it it's easily fixed all you do is suck up half a bucket full of water which dilutes the gunge into a slimier consistency.  I think that the same thing would happen to a 51mm hose though.  Oh and you have to keep an eye on the suction end to make sure you haven't blocked the pipe with mortar debris from the gutters.

But for the price it's fantastic and in my humble opinion well worth every penny, and the custy's when they see you wheeling R2D2 up their drive is amazing :o 

And I sell it to them as much safer, much cleaner and no chances of any mess on the walls or spillages around the property.  If you want to you can also dispose of all the waste product either on their compost heap, or in their garden recycle bin (after removing the water if there is any), or you can take it away with you.

Kevin R

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 08:45:03 am »
Fine, good powered machine, great for domestics, but the 38 mm is too small for larger commercial work.

I recently did some work with Mr H, he was using his DIY vac with 38mm hose, I was using my Omnivac with 51mm hose and tools. I did 3/4 of the job while Mr H did 1/4. Ok I have more experience than Mr H, but the rest of it is made up because the larger hose is more efficient and blocks less. Remember time is money.

The 50 mm hose has only blocked once for me and thats because I sucked up a tee shirt from a large commercial gutter and that was where the hose entered the machine, which will give you an idea of the power.

If you want a machine with a truly commercial application buy an Omnivac!

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 08:56:38 am »
Aha!

One for Kevin R, ... and anyone else who wants to respond.

This is what I had suspected all along. It's the size of the gutters that determines the size of machine you need.

(OK, it's not a one-to-one correspondence, but it's near enough.)

So for domestics, a 38 mm is probably going to be more than adequate. But if I wanted to go for bigger commercial building a 51 mm would be more practical.

Is that right?

Kevin R

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 09:17:07 am »
An average dwelling or business with household style gutters and as long as they are not blocked or full of plants the 38 mm would be OK. So good for maintenance cleans

However in the real world people only call you when the gutters are blocked.

Also deep commercial gutters hold much much more before they look like they need attention, and again in my experience you will only get a call when there is visible problems. The bigger the better when it comes to hose is my opinion.

poleman

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 09:17:13 am »
To a point yes, but its about the watts of the machine that counts! higher the watts the higher you can clean

Mr H

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 09:37:44 am »
Mr H
Doesnt buying it in the way you suggest  work out to be more expensive that buying the purpose built unit from us and you will only have a 38mm version rather than the required 51mm ? And you will not have the wide range of purpose built fittings that we supply with the unit.

It works out slightly cheeper Glyn but the main price saving is that you can use SL2 base sections tht might otherwise be just laying around not earning money. If you have purchased a 60ft SL2 then you already have the poles for doing gutters up to 20ft and so just buy extra sections if you need them. So if you take into account have a dual use wfp pole then it adds to the saving.
The other saving is in weight. 1 man can go up to 60ft and not need an extra support pole.
Your 24ft system is £1090 + vat doing a DIY is around £800 + vat

Main difference would be a higher 60ft system for cleaning gutters.
Can't find a price for a 60ft on your website but we can work round that....
(If I do have your prices wrong then just let me know and I'll change it)

To empty and clean a gutter at 60ft using an Omnivac you would need the Omnivac (48ft is £1290 so lets say £1400 for 60ft) + a second person + a 60ft pole to clean the outside of the guttering, lets say an SL2.
With a DIY system you would still need a 60ft pole (SL2) as with yours plus 8 additional sections £400 and a vacumm £500 plus and lets say £100 of other bits.

So the saving is about £400 or 20% PLUS it has become a 1 man operation thereby saving more money each time its used and its easier on the joints especially when used at lower heights.

The only alteration I have made to the vac is to remove the "L" shaped plastic piece behind the inlet manafold to stop twigs from causing a blockage.

What do you mean by "REQUIRED 51mm" ?
I use 38mm hose and actually fit the short extension pole that comes with the vac inside the hose so actually making it slightly smaller again.
I find the extra concentration of suction works well because you have a slightly larger void behind the narrow part that anything sucked up will not block the hose further down. The only part that can get blocked is the very tip of the nozel and if it does then I just run it across the edge of the gutter and it clears.

As I have said before I have not tried to knock your system Glyn, mearly offered a DIY system, just like some people post how to DIY a trolley system, van mount system or convert a fishing pole to WFP.
the DIY system has some advantages your system currently lacks and visa-versa.
The advantages of your system are as you said.... Having extra tools ready made, some help with advertising and other support.
As a oneman operation I have considered adding one of your poles to my system for doing standard domestics as I already have the vac.
I'm actually surprised you haven't looked in to useing the emporium poles you sell, for higher reach vacuuming, as it would then be the best of both worlds... The backup, support and a lightweight oneman operation........

Oh and one other thing......
One more important issue is who do you think Architects, Surveyors,Facility Managers,   contact when they are looking to have work carried out?
A company with with a nationwide network of contractors or a guy advertising his diy unit?
No one advertises that they use a DIY or a mass produced system and no one asks either.
All they are interested in is will it do the job and the price.
A descent DIY system will certainly look the part and do the job.

Regards
Mr H

Kevin R

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:05 am »
To a point yes, but its about the watts of the machine that counts! higher the watts the higher you can clean

Were talking hose size but thats not always true, I do a maintenance gutter clean twice a year on a hotel (35ft). I use one motor (1200 watts) on the vac as I am generally removing just leaves. However when I first did it I had to use all three motors as the gutters were very blocked (3600).

poleman

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 09:56:49 am »
My DIY system was a lot cheaper than the main dealers!

I was lucky, as I got a ex demo vacuum cleaner 3000watts, a 51mm hose and inlet for the side of the tank and SLS sections and u bend, I would say I have saved about four hundred pounds in total, yes it has been a pain trying to get things together but for me SL2 has made the big difference over the other poles that are available as they are just too heavy and that’s the fed back from the user of theses main dealer vac systems 

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:07 pm »
www.starmakina.com.tr/en/ProductDetail.Asp?List=1&Table=1&Product=14

4200 watt triple motor 60 litre wet vac with 51mm fittings & hose. £378 + Vat

The UK distributor is Bayersan UK Ltd, based in Surrey. 07878427580 or bayersanuk@hotmail.com

Kevin R

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 05:54:19 pm »
The hoses do need to be a bit heavy duty as they get dragged about a bit. Also Omnipole hoses are next to impossible to kink.

If you add a decent hose, poles and tubes to this 4200 watt vac you might as well buy an Omnivac and save yourself the hassle?

STEVE-UK

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:17 pm »
Hi kev, the 60ft is lovely to use, a bit of a difference from the old ionics.

back to topic ,Ive been thinking about  getting the guttervac, your right when you say " they only ask you when its obvious theres a problem" i was asked by a nursing home to do a gutter clean and could see grass growing from the gutters, do the guttervacs suck it straight out or do you have to wet it 1st or rake it out.

what % of your comercial gutter cleans are 2nd floor and higher, i only ask this as the upkeeper looks a good bit of kit also

Kevin R

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 06:32:25 pm »
Hi kev, the 60ft is lovely to use, a bit of a difference from the old ionics.

back to topic ,Ive been thinking about  getting the guttervac, your right when you say " they only ask you when its obvious theres a problem" i was asked by a nursing home to do a gutter clean and could see grass growing from the gutters, do the guttervacs suck it straight out or do you have to wet it 1st or rake it out.

what % of your comercial gutter cleans are 2nd floor and higher, i only ask this as the upkeeper looks a good bit of kit also

Hi Steve,

I use a gutter spike to break up any big bit of rooted plant, but smaller stuff like grass will just get sucked straight into the vac mostly. (50 mm tool) No need to wet it just use a spike.

The majority of my commercial cleans are three story. This is also where the money seems to be as the alternatives are expensive.
 ;D

Glyn H

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 07:07:40 pm »
No one advertises that they use a DIY or a mass produced system and no one asks either.
All they are interested in is will it do the job and the price.
A descent DIY system will certainly look the part and do the

Hi Mr H
You misunderstood the  point I made - we are contacted regularly by potential customers across the UK looking for contractors to carry out the work, we then pass on the details of the closest contractor.
The enquiry's come from Architects, Surveyors, Property managing agents, Hospitals, Ministry of Defence etc.

Brian B

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 07:32:12 pm »
The thing is that it all boils down to affordability, I have a system that suits my current needs and it has cost me under £400.  All I am cleaning at the moment is domestic gutters and 38mm has been sufficient for all of the jobs that I have done (I have also sucked up a t shirt and a sheet of scrim and neither got stuck at the inlet port).  I've managed to clean gutters that were full to overflowing with plants with no problems.

The vacuum I bought has enough power, has three vacuums and an eighty litre capacity.  I could have gone out and bought the top of the range Omnivac and still been waiting to get into profit, but I didn't and it's now profit all the way till it packs up!

It all depends on what you want to do and how much you've got available to spend. I would definately recommend the vacuum that I bought as it ticks all of my needs boxes!  ??? ;D  ::)

Kevin R

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 08:07:40 pm »
The thing is that it all boils down to affordability, I have a system that suits my current needs and it has cost me under £400.  All I am cleaning at the moment is domestic gutters and 38mm has been sufficient for all of the jobs that I have done (I have also sucked up a t shirt and a sheet of scrim and neither got stuck at the inlet port).  I've managed to clean gutters that were full to overflowing with plants with no problems.

The vacuum I bought has enough power, has three vacuums and an eighty litre capacity.  I could have gone out and bought the top of the range Omnivac and still been waiting to get into profit, but I didn't and it's now profit all the way till it packs up!

It all depends on what you want to do and how much you've got available to spend. I would definately recommend the vacuum that I bought as it ticks all of my needs boxes!  ??? ;D  ::)

Summing up, as Brian says its horses for courses, what works for Brian will work for some.

Personally,  I use members of staff or sub contractors to clean gutters with my equipment, a DIY system is not an option as its not "fit for Purpose" or is it being used as the manufacturer intended. This is a problem for me. If the pole section failed and caused injury to me, my staff or a member of the public, where would I be legally? By buying a commercial system from a legitimate company I am protected. I am happy to pay for piece of mind, quality equipment that works and its not "taped" together,  and great customer service. Omnipole meet all these requirements, which is why I own a Omnivac and all its related equipment.

A further point to make is that on several occasions I have come across custom made guttering that is deeper, wider etc etc than the standard and cleaning it has been problematic. On these occasions Glyn H has made me custom tools to overcome the problems in order to complete the job.  So the Omnivac might be a few quid but in my experience its money well spent  ;)

Gutter clearing with Vacuums is still in its infancy - Glyn H is developing his system and tooling all of the time because he is in contact with the end users like myself. By buying an Omnivac you are also buying into that experience and thats worth ££££££ of anyones money  ;)

STEVE-UK

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 08:38:57 am »
When doing gutter cleaning, what do you do with the rubbish because i can imagine with a large property there must be a lot to dispose of ?

if the problem of the the gutters over flowing is due to the down pipe being blocked will the guttervac suck it out? or do you call someone else in

do you do a visual check with a camera 1st? what do you charge for this?

Kevin R

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 06:39:06 pm »
When doing gutter cleaning, what do you do with the rubbish because i can imagine with a large property there must be a lot to dispose of ?

if the problem of the the gutters over flowing is due to the down pipe being blocked will the guttervac suck it out? or do you call someone else in

do you do a visual check with a camera 1st? what do you charge for this?

Ok the rubbish if its commercial usually has to be removed from site, so I take it home and put in in my recycling bin ( garden waste) or if its domestic I put it in theirs or on a compost heap if they have one. If there is a load of this stuff you can buy bags from the council for trade waste.

The gutter vac will suck out debris blocking the top part of the pipe but if its blocked further down I use a powerpole pressure washing attachment and give it a good blast which 9 out of 10 times clears it. If i does not I use a drain cleaning attachment and feed it in to the down pipe from the bottom. This never fails!!!!

I only do camera surveys for commercial clients for which I charge £40 per hour. If they need a lot of work doing I deduct this from the cost as I would need to do a survey anyway. If the gutters are clear which they sometimes are I just charge the £40 an hour.

Hope that helps Steve  ;D

Dean Aspects

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 06:58:16 pm »
Can someone post a direct link to the omnivac as everytime i try to do it through the omnipole site it crashes

mark311069

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 08:08:33 pm »