Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tatman

gutter vacs any good?
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:43:33 pm »
Had alot of custies asking for gutter clearance but since wfp dont really see the logic of getting up there. I do the odd one but decline some to be honest. Been looking at the omipole gutter vacs anyone use these of anything similar? I rekon be a good money spinner ::)

paulscotney

Re: gutter vacs any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:15 pm »
I went down to Omnipole in London a fortnight ago and they demonstrated it to me. Was impressed. Pole is VERY heavy and obviously  robust. Will order one soon.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:42 pm »
A guttervac looks like it might be a useful bit of kit to have. Buying a complete kit isn't cheap.

I'd been thinking about this and come up with what might be (although it might not be) a cunning plan.

A local hire centre hires out an 80 litre, 3600 watt machine on a wheeled base at about £20 a day/£48 per week. This machine has a similar specification to the guttervac.

I was planning on putting together a few sections of 2" drainpipe with a J on the end which should fit onto a 51 mm suction pipe and attaching that to the machine. Something similar to the pipe on the Upkeeper.

There's a video available on their website: www.upkeeper.co.uk/gutter_keeper.wmv though you might want to turn your speakers down.

Hire a machine for a weekend and just have a play with it and see what needs to be done to make it work whilst clearing out my own and other unsuspecting family members' gutters.

Then, if it's a goer, put a week's work together and hire the machine for a week. Do that a few times and see how it goes. If it's OK, invest in a machine of my very own. If it's only moderately successful, keep on doing the odd week here and there and just hiring it when needed.

paulscotney

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:21:58 pm »
good idea.. get a vac for free

Mr H

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:49:36 am »
www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=51156.0

Goes higher than an Upkeeper and lighter than an Omnivac.
One man operation up to 60ft......

Been useing mine for about 5 months now with no problems.

Regards
Mr H

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:58:47 am »
Yes, Mr H. This looks like a really good way of doing things. It seems to have the advantages of both the omnivac and the upkeeper without the drawbacks.

The question that is screaming in my tiny little mind is: what vacuum machine do you use?

Mr H

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 03:05:22 pm »
The 640M....
Available from
www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Industrial_Vacuums_and_Fittings.html
or
www.dualpumps.co.uk/pages/vacuum_cleaners/subs/wet_dry_vacuums.htm

Its the same machine Omnivac use. 3600W of power through 3 motors so you can use only 1 if needed when doing lower buildings or all 3 for higher or dirtier gutters. It is a wet and dry to, so no worries if the down pipes are blocked and loads of standing water in the gutter or the leaves are wet.

regards
Mr H

Glyn H

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »
Mr H
Doesnt buying it in the way you suggest  work out to be more expensive that buying the purpose built unit from us and you will only have a 38mm version rather than the required 51mm ? And you will not have the wide range of purpose built fittings that we supply with the unit.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 06:08:44 pm »
Mr H
Doesnt buying it in the way you suggest  work out to be more expensive that buying it from us and you will only have a 38mm version rather than the required 51mm ? And you will not have the range of fittings that we supply with the unit.

Difficult question to answer, that one.

You'd need to supply a list of precisely what your kit comprises of and the total price. Others would then be free to compare the cost of buying it from you and shopping around sourcing/making the components.

Then, we could get a definitive answer.

Glyn H

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »
Not really difficult to answer
As our unit  is a competly built  51mm unit with 15 metres of crush proof lightweight hose, five different heads to tackle any size gutter and LONG lasting aerospace alloy poles.
Price from £1090.00 24' version upto £1290.00 for 48' version

Mr H version
is a 38mm vac with as an added purchase an extra 10 metres of standard black hose, one head  that you have to construct yourself which is an exact copy of one of Our designs that is then coupled to a carbon fibre pole. The vac will need to be adapted to take larger bore hose if you want it to work more efficiently

Dont know how much the carbon pole is but if you add all the parts up their cant be a lot in it.

Also you cannot use our marketing advantages in your advertising like winner of the 2006 BoB award for innovation, nor can you use the HSE dvd that shows the Omnipole GutterVac in use

Glyn H

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:12 pm »
One more important issue is who do you think Architects, Surveyors,Facility Managers,   contact when they are looking to have work carried out?
A company with with a nationwide network of contractors or a guy advertising his diy unit?

cvdewsbury

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:52:25 pm »
One more important issue is who do you think Architects, Surveyors,Facility Managers,   contact when they are looking to have work carried out?
A company with with a nationwide network of contractors or a guy advertising his diy unit?

just about to take mine out of the box,its been sat in the garage since Friday!!

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 07:04:38 pm »
i use my omni-vac every week and love it :)
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

mark311069

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
mr h can you tell me if the gutter spike can be fitted to the pole that comes with the gutter vac. and also, can one man use the omni cam on his own and if so how do you hold the monitor and the pole at the same time.??

tatman

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:01 pm »
who do you work for glyn? which supplier?

mark311069

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 09:06:30 pm »
who do you work for glyn? which supplier?

sorry my post was for glyn h. i got mixed up, it must be all the sun ive had today!!

Kevin R

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:38:39 pm »
Glyn Howard owns Omnipole  ;)

His system is second to none, I have seen them all including Mr H's.

If you want a machine that is a real work horse and is built to last, with support and spare parts at the end of the phone buy the Omnivac.

I have the full system, It gets used most days and earns big bucks if advertised correctly. When your pricing a job (commercial),  work out the costs of the alternatives an price accordingly. Triple your best daily residential price and your starting to get the idea!!!
 ;D

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »
earns big bucks if advertised correctly

I know that this is going off topic slightly, but can you let us into your advertising secrets?

Kevin R

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:05:59 pm »
Your biggest source of customers with high gutters and staff that can't possibly do any work out side of the Health and Safety regulations are..... the council.... find the chap you need to talk to with your revolutionary new machine, send him pics etc, or direct him to your website and you will guaranteed get the work as you will probably be the only person in your area with a machine. The council loves to save cash, the Omnivac does that  ;D

There are many more machines available but the work that Glyn Howard from Omnipole has done with the Health and Safety executive paves the way.

So back on topic - Gutter vacs are they any good? I know my Omnivac is, its tried and tested and is one of my biggest earners.

Brian B

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 11:37:50 pm »
I bought one of these with 17metres of hose two months ago.  The whole thing cost me £390 but it has paid for itself five times over in that time, I now need to look at setting at all up to operate from the ground.  This is more than powerfull enough though and you only need to move the vacuum once or twice to access all round the average detatched house.  Best money I've spent this summer!!

Just put the item number into ebay and search, company is based in Liverpool and extremely helpful.

Ideal for Carwash, Valetting,Garages, cars, vans & HGV    Item number: 350074572980