This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

How on earth do you WFP other than new uPVC?
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:22:04 pm »
I'm not trying to start a WFP vs Trad thing again, so please don't anyone start, and if anyone does, please don't reply to it.

However, I would like some advice as to how to clean windows that aren't new uPVC with WFP?

I've found painted frames leave spots and runs of spots, even after 3 cleans, and the same with my older uPVC windows, but only on the back of the house.

What do you do?  Do you only take on plastic?  Or charge more for the painted frames?

Comments Appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

kris martin

Re: How on earth do you WFP other than new uPVC?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:28:38 pm »
ive just done my 3rd cleans today and they are 100 times better but i (think) some of my houses will take about 5 or 6 times to get perfect beause i have a v lot of 2 weekly houses that are so much harder to get right than my monthlys.. but overall wood, old upvc im happy with the results so far...... when all the soap as gone i will be competely happy...

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:50 pm »
Why do you say the two weekly's are harder to get clean than the monthly's?  Because of the extra soap?

Also, I thought I was happy with the results on a couple of jobs, but on closer inspection when they'd dried,  I wasn't happy at all!

It seems that doing them twice in a short period of time (ie 30mins)doesn't seem to make much difference either?!?

NWH

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »
The more you clean them the better they will get,on wooden windows you have to get all the dirt out of the cracks and crevices you don`t have them so much on plastic that`s why they come good quicker.Forget 2-3 cleans,have a proper look at them after 5-6 cleans and then see.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:01 pm »
So do you not charge for the 5-6 cleans?  I know, silly question, but I don't like having shoddy work to my name!

kris martin

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »
ive just asked the customers to bare with me and i promise that each time i do it will be better than the last till there perfect everytime.... but im still doing first cleans now on some of my work and my technique is so much better than 4 weeks ago and i might not get my first cleans perfect but there no where near as bad as they were when i started, i dont get runs anymore, maybe spots (a few).. my fortnightlys are caked in soap.....

AJ

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »
30 mins wait is not long enough. clean them 1st time including frames, wait till completely dry then do them again with a lower flow and stay well clear of the frame. you don't want splashes getting into the nooks and crannys this is why I say a lower flow 2nd time.

kris martin

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:46:36 pm »
SOAP.... thats my theory anyway.....

kris martin

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:49:55 pm »
ive got to much work to go back and do it again and no where near enough time, i try and get it as good as i can on first clean and maybe let them have a few spots or runs for 2 or 4 weeks.....   i let them know i even said to some customers "to be honest they may be a mess" i coudnt believe they understand, well most do...   happy with results now and i think it may be down to the technique..... i now know to rinse rinse and rinse... diddnt at first.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
Yeah rinsing.  I'm using a back pack for everything, and I'm so tight with the water coz I don't want to keep having to refill, I only use setting one.  So not only does it take ages to rinse, it's probably not enough flow anyway. 

Tomo I'll use a higher setting and look even more like a wally wheeling more barrels of water all  over the place!

kris martin

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:57:43 pm »
using such a low setting just takes longer, so your rinsing for longer (hence) probably using just as much water as a higher flow rate because your doing it a lot quicker.  i use a trolley so im a bit tight with the water as well but on my first few cleans its on at least 4,  number 1 dosnt even let any water out...

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »
I did a first clean today that was upvc on the tops and painted wooden on the bottoms, all the frames and glass had a good wash down and rinse tops and bottoms! I then clean my brushes and go around the glass only again the windows in the painted frames came out perfectly ok I don't shy away from any type of window except badly flaking frames you just need to rinse well on first cleans. 
Sussex by the sea

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »
Thanks for the comments - V helpful. :)

So do you not find that quite a few have flaky paint?  I had one the other day, and I got the ladders off coz i was paranoid!

However, I know that they weren't perfect, because I did them I+O, but they were filthy, so much improved, and I think I know what is acceptable with trad, but with Pure Water, I think I expect too much possibly?

kris martin

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:53 pm »
flacky frames, i just do the glass and find without doing the frames i get a good job on first clean....

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 10:07:48 pm »
flacky frames, i just do the glass and find without doing the frames i get a good job on first clean....

Rinse on the glass or off?  Fan or pencil jets? 

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »
 ;) Jay setting one is ample!
If your tight with the water the results shows!  ::)

I have never had to tell my customers "they will get better!"

I say "IF" there should be any spotting...CALL ME I will come back and clean the offending window!  8)

It's never happened yet!  8)

Come on the system is brilliant stop worrying!

Think about it...
Do you wash your dishes in an inch of water or do you fill the bowl??? :o

Get back down to Deal for a Day and come out with either myself, Johnny or even Matt

I promise not to be sarcastic! Ha Ha  ;D ;D ;D

kris martin

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 10:11:48 pm »
i usualy do a quick rinse on and then a quick rinse off but today i was feeling extremely tired so i was tending to rinse on especially in the later part of the day (im a cowboy) i checked the jobs and they seemed ok....    how many houses do you do a day?

ronnie paton

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 10:18:56 pm »
some will never be perfect but you learn to adopt and change your technique to give the best possible results, some will not agree but i feel that in my experience your corrct, new upvc is great anything is else can be a knightmare.

most my jobs had about 36 cleans now has well, but dont worry you will get most to a decent level but that  wont always be totally spot free. :)

kris martin

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 10:19:43 pm »
i dont work mondays and the only reason that i am working fridays is becasue i am working some old guys work (businesses) whilst he is away for a few months... weekends is with out a shadow of a doubt for me an my family time... ive been doing it 5th week now and under no circumstances do i have time to go back around all the work and do it again....    and i have to say it now i think my job is spot on, not 100% but at least 95%... some are perfect....   my motto is i work to live not live to work, working at the weekend is not an option... and by the way  i do do a good job especially now im getting used to the system.

kris martin

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:42 pm »
my last post was a reply to a post just  before it that as just disapeared, how as that happened?