This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

A lesson in marketing
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:36:11 pm »
I have been singing the praises of the Harris pole for the last 6 months, a few actually went out and bought one.
Groundhog posted his video, and what a response, 218 replies to date.
There is a lesson to be learned here, if a picture paints a thousand words, a video does it even better.
Those of you with their own web sites should think about this, a U Tube link could demonstrate to prospective customers what a good job you do. An edited before and after video taken on a dirty first clean would work wonders. What do you think?

Re: A lesson in marketing
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:41:54 pm »
Groundhog added an element of interest because he got into such a big row bumping the harriss onto the slx thread and refusing to give ground.

He did make a good job of the video, but the thrust of what he was saying was that a £15 DIY job either beats or makes unecessary a £400 pole. That's where the interest lay.

In marketing terms then, we were more interested in Groundhog and whether he made an arris of himself or not.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 07:01:32 pm »
My opinion on this would be, people want there windows cleaned, watching a vid like groundhogs would put them off (I am not knocking the guy at all) but I said staright away that it looked like he was not cleaning it right (from my view point not a fact and he says they are fine and I tend to think hes being honest)

As for marketing on on a website it is very hard to see end result with wfp then there is the way you do it, do it too quick they will see and think it is not being done right and many more problems.

I dont think this is a great idea for marketing at all to get more custom, I am doubtful that I would put this type of thing on a site I own to get more work, to show other window cleans yes, new custom no.

Your idea for the harris pole was a good one in some peoples eyes I will try it as it is worth a try.

Pics can speak a thousand words because they dont move, vids move they show things and not always good

Ian

poleman

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:31:09 pm »
I disagree, a company video is a good marketing tool, if done professional like this www.brodexbms.co.uk and not some bloke running around like a mad man with a pole

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »
I think your right Dai, a proffessionally done video could be an excellent marketing tool!! My video was done on a cheap and cheerful digital camera, and was just done to show how effective the Harris pole is. If I was aiming a video  at customers I would emphasise the points that a customer would be looking for, ie smart appearance, cheerfully greeting customers, cleaning frames, sills and doors, and finish it off with a shot of some sparkling just cleaned windows! 8)  When I get round to sorting myself out a website, I will definetley consider doing something like this!!

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 07:43:48 pm »
I disagree, a company video is a good marketing tool, if done professional like this www.brodexbms.co.uk and not some bloke running around like a mad man with a pole
brodex are selling systems to people, it is a little different to cleaning the windows, before and after shots maybe but a normal clean would/could put people off before they ring and that would be bad marketing IMO.

I am not dead agaist this, but just now I cant see it working as in a full clean of windows, cut down maybe

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:46:51 pm »
A customer orientated video would be different in as much as you'd explain what you do then show it.

Eg:- Mr. Poleclean.

Mr Poleclean stands in front of house and says:-

"This brief video is to show how our new wfp system provides the best service available." (He then goes to the house carefully laying out the hose to avoid knocking over the ming vase and Johnny the fishing gnome and cleans the top frames of each window, looks back to camera and says)

"Notice how by thoroughly scrubbing the top frame we avoid dirt coming down onto your windows. When windows are cleaned traditionally these top frames are often missed as the window cleaner wants to avoid stretching to reach them."

"Now we clean the side frames (scrub a dub) and finally the glass is burnished to a high standard."

"Now all that remains is to wipe the sills; (scrubadub) and again with no waterflow to reduce dripping."

"Voila! Super clean windows upstairs and even above conservatories and porches where a ladder user cannot even reach safely!"

"And now we repeat the process downstairs, finishing off by scrubbing your door to a gleaming finish!"

Wfp operator does an optional bow and a little jig, taking off his hat with a flourish!

Now that's what you put on the custy video!

Obviously you telescope it all together in real life and do it in half the time, especially on maintenance cleans, where Johnny the fishing gnome is serruptitiously kicked into the pond.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »
A customer orientated video would be different in as much as you'd explain what you do then show it.

"This brief video is to show how our new wfp system provides the best service available." (He then goes to the house carefully laying out the hose to avoid knocking over the ming vase and Johnny the fishing gnome and cleans the top frames of each window, looks back to camera and says)

"Notice how by thoroughly scrubbing the top frame we avoid dirt coming down onto your windows. When windows are cleaned traditionally these top frames are often missed as the window cleaner wants to avoid stretching to reach them."

"Now we clean the side frames (scrub a dub) and finally the glass is burnished to a high standard."

"Now all that remains is to wipe the sills; (scrubadub) and again with no waterflow to reduce dripping."

"Voila! Super clean windows upstairs and even above conservatories and porches where a ladder user cannot even reach safely!"

"And now we repeat the process downstairs, finishing off by scrubbing your door to a gleaming finish!"

Wfp operator does an optional bow and a little jig, taking off his hat with a flourish!

Obviously you telescope it all together in real life and do it in half the time, especially on maintenance cleans, where Johnny the fishing gnome is serruptitiously kicked into the pond.
sounding better one window video a door maybe a side of con, compresed

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:16:24 am »

Brilliant. You should branch out into video production. If you could make your description into a reality, you'd make a fantastic writer/producer/director.

Eat your heart out, Clint Eastwood.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 08:11:35 am »
I've noticed a latent talent with malc before especially when  observing human nature (characters in old peoples home etc).Me ww and Malc all had pretty much the same idea about what this sort of video would be, the problem being getting customers to watch it in the first place.

jouk45

Re: A lesson in marketing New
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 08:41:07 am »
I  brought this suggestion up last year, asking suppliers to show detailed videos of their products on there websites, as this would help customers and newbies to get an idea of what they are buying, the only company that took this up, and still do, is alex from gardinerpole systems, and he still adds videos of his new products, well done alex,  ;D