Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pj

GLOBAL MODERATORS
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:29:08 am »
They haven't explained yet because they are too shy, but the moderators can now moderate on any section they like and it would seem have been dubbed "Global Moderators".

I missed the handing out of medals!  Anyone else attend?

Re: GLOBAL MODERATORS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:32:31 am »
They haven't explained yet because they are too shy, but the moderators can now moderate on any section they like and it would seem have been dubbed "Global Moderators".

I missed the handing out of medals!  Anyone else attend?
there are more and more people joining round the world this is why IMO.
I also missed the handing out of medals

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »
That's interesting, in a nerdy kind of way.

My take on it is that there are only two moderators, and one of them posts smiley faces and gets drawn in etc. So effectively there is one, and he does the lot.

Good for him. Always flog a willing horse I say.

By the way this topic shouldn't be in this section but it will be some time before it gets moved because there aren't enough mods. Hence Global mods.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:55:19 pm »
There are enough mods , but we have to react quickly if we see something amiss on other sections when the other mods are not online.

Recently a poster was posting stuff on every section and some of the posts remained for a day or two because no one was around to delete them.

I mod in the non related section and dont interfere in the window cleaning section , but if i see an innappropriate post ie abusive swearing, on here and Ian and Trevor are not around then i have the power to delete it.

Dave

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:59:04 pm »
What does IMO mean?
Cheers Rich

Pj

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:20:18 pm »
What does IMO mean?

Abbreviation:  IMO = In My Opinion

IHI = I Hate It ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:21:56 pm »
What does IMO mean?

Abbreviation:  IMO = In My Opinion

IHI = I Hate It ;D
Thanks for that m8
Cheers Rich

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:22:47 pm »
pjigtttteadgaa

wtal

RPCCS

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:24:33 pm »
Cheers Rich

Pj

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:09 pm »
pjigtttteadgaa

wtal

and i'm supposed to understand that? ;D

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:54 pm »
pjigtttteadgaa

wtal

??? Now come on! it took my wife to inform me what IMO meant !

I have just heard from my daughter (15) that kids are now only using the first letter of word in texts... is this what we have here  ???

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 10:30:48 pm »
pj i go to the trouble to explain and dont get no acknowledgement

Easy when you know how

jonah

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:17 pm »

Easy when you know how
Dave , What do you get out of moderating ? Isnt it a lot of hassle for nothing ? I admire you doing it , but you must get fed up with handbags at ten paces all the time ?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 10:40:54 pm »
Dont get much out of it, a bit like a prefect at school.

Mike just asked me one day and i just said yes.

I try to be diplomatic and laid back in my approach to moderating and only really interfere when there is a complaint made, so it isnt too bad.

Sometimes it is hard to be one of the boys and have to bite my tongue at times, after all we are still human and are still entitled to an opinion.

Dave

Pj

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48:44 pm »

Easy when you know how

I think I'll get some T Shirts with that on! :D

mark dew

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 02:15:17 am »
The trouble with being a moderator is that with the exception of dave, the others, ian, trevor and sarah don't post enough!!  ???
I did / do enjoy reading their posts, the trouble is there isn't enough of them to keep me reading for more than a few minutes.
I like to think it is because they are too busy with their businesses and life outside of ciu, but do wonder at times if being moderators has made then overdose on this site at times.

Stevie G

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 03:58:35 pm »
The job of a moderator is not to post information......is it?......

Surely it's to inform and advise on the whys and wherefors.....delete posts, etc.....to sort the wheat from the chaff..........?!?!?

The forum, as it stands needs a severe change, i.e. new categories, more sub-categories, more sticky posts, proper categories for photos........the list is long....

I am currently awaiting to be a moderator, with a view to hopefully advising on possible future changes to the site.

It has been too long now, for a site such as Cleanitup to be in its current sate.
There are other message boards/forums out there that deal with Cleaning, but I don't think that there are so many users who visit them as much as this one.

Tosh

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 04:25:02 pm »
The job of a moderator is not to post information......is it?......

Surely it's to inform and advise on the whys and wherefors.....delete posts, etc.....to sort the wheat from the chaff..........?!?!?

The forum, as it stands needs a severe change, i.e. new categories, more sub-categories, more sticky posts, proper categories for photos........the list is long....

I am currently awaiting to be a moderator, with a view to hopefully advising on possible future changes to the site.

I was an early member on this site and eventually became a moderator here for a year-or-two and I've seen many styles of 'moderating' from the no-nonsense-Hitler-style (Philip Hanson, editor of PWC/Ionic sales rag springs to mind) to the more laizzes fair attitude; and it's the latter I prefer.  (Wavie Davie (remember that mod) always made me smile with his tough-Jock sense-of-humour, 'that'll be a fiver!' when he gave advice etc).

I handed in my notice because often I was no better than some of the naughty boys who frequent this site; I often felt a bit hypocritical when in 'mod mode' when I was usually no better; and I like to think that the site owner created the off-topic area because of me!  ;D

Anyway, I personally think we've got the right mix of forum sections; and the current moderating is spot on.

I still often get my posts 'modded'; particuarly by Ian_Giles; and I consider him a friend and experienced work colleague; though he's still a bit of a bugger!  We occassionally meet up for a beer and chew the fat, and I cover for some areas of his round when he's swanning off on holiday.

My point is, this forum is about as good as it gets, it doesn't need any major changes; so if it aint broke, don't fix it; though the Global Modding is a good idea.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 05:14:56 pm »
If you feel that strongly stevie g start a topic and have a poll.

The self governing mode of the present seems to work. If you begin enthusiasticly modding how long can you keep it up. A month, a year?
What happens when you aren't online?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 11:26:13 pm »
I think a 2% Mod ratio is about the norm for most forums.
So,... 650 odd ppl online today,.... that'd mean 13 Mods,... there seems to be less?

The point of more moderators wouldn't be more moderating,... simply catching the posts that do need editing sooner,... its too much for just 1 or 2 ppl to handle, so simply spread the load and increase the chances of at least 1 mod being online most of the day.

I do think the mods here, especially Ian Giles are doing a great job though,.... Its often a thankless job and one that can make you the target of many ppl's displeasure.
Keep up the good work Mods!