Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Michael D

Price cutting FOOL
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:43:20 pm »
Hi All
         I just found an add for a 3 pce settie for £20 and a carpet clean to the whole house for £60, this could explain why a lot of my work has dried up. Michael D

Kev Loomes

Re: Price cutting FOOL
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:58:01 pm »
We all get them Michael, try not to get too stressed about it. And dont match his prices!

carpet guy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:50:17 pm »
Contact your past customers with  promotional letter or leaflet, letting them know you value their custom and remind them of EVERYTHING you do.

Don't waffle about technical matters, just tell them what they want to hear.........
" We can make your carpets / suites /  like new, soft, fresh clean, etc.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:00:54 pm »
Don't dwell on negatives when you write it, look at the positives and the time you spend and the quality of equipment and products used, you could even say that there are companies that are twice your price but don't name them ie Dave Liohona is more than twice but may be not in your area.

Shaun

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:16:10 am »
Custy's aren't daft...the majority know this is impossible  :o

That guy is going to get price shoppers with rotten suites  ;D

£20 for a mornings work?? He's welcome.  (what's insurance?)
"So basically its a big vax!"

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:12:02 pm »
I've a guy near me who charges prices like this, many a times customers have had a laugh about his silly prices, Like countryfresh said, custys aren't dumb.......... well some are, but not the ones you want ;D

One job he undercut me on was a lounge, stairs, 2 bedroom and 2 medium sized next rugs, he under cut me by £120 doing it for £60!!!!!

Andy
Www.2venturegroup.com

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
the people who go for these guys are tossers and they are not the clients you want anyway, so let this muppet have as many of these peasants that he can get and you are then free to concentrate on the kind of clients you want

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »
Carpet cleaner working in house opposite me this morning in Richmond. I went to get Drimaster from van and he came over to talk ............. he was cleaning 3 flights, 2 landings and 2 sofas, as i was. He was packing up about 11am to go to his 2nd of 3 jobs today .......... very upbeat with the £110 he had just earned. Did not have the heart to tell him i had just charged £390 for same job and that i would be done by 12.30 ............. mine took 4 hours and he did his in 2.5  :o
Even if he had 3 jobs the same .............. awful slog for same money  ::)

spencer davies

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:28:20 pm »
Hey Colin, no one can accuse you of being too PC  :D

S

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:38:50 pm »
 if they can't afford it, then tough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE NOT A CHARITY!

*paul_moss

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:36:11 pm »
Spencer I think its just a show for us, I bet he is a puss y cat to his customers really  ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »
Told a woman recently that i charge £4 a sq metre .........she told me that would make my price double that of another quote she had. I told her i do not compete on price and that my customers are quality driven and NOT price driven  ;D
Needless to say, she never passed the grade and never made it onto my client base  ;)

des

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »
I like the way you think chris ;D
des at mister clean

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:16 pm »
Des, getting on a bit now so i have to be choosy about where i exert my energy and that i will be correctly compensated  ;D

carpet guy

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »
Had a look at e bay tonight, some of the charges on their are less than we charged 20 years ago and some are using T/Ms

carpetmonsters

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:01 pm »
chris
does £4.00 include vat
steve

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 02:52:40 pm »
Not registered as below threshold ........surprisingly  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 10:57:25 am »
The trouble with these Super Low Price, 'We're in your area for two weeks' people is that they do a  tremendous amount of damage to the reputation of our industry.
Every customer that uses them and ends up disappointed will tell their story again and again to their family, friends and work colleagues. All of those people then have a negative impression, not just of the company concerned, but of carpet cleaning in general and so we all get tarred by the same brush.
Don't forget the vast majority of the public don't know the first thing about carpet cleaning, carpet cleaning machines or professional standards and specifications for a proper job, they just see the price.
The problem with carpet cleaning is that we are in the first instance selling an intangible, they don't actually have what we are selling until the job is done. The public though buy carpet cleaning as if they were buying a new hoover. With a hoover you can look at it, feel it and try it before you buy it and regardless of where you buy it or how much you buy it for, you get exactly the same product. Not so with carpet cleaning, but if you quote £75 for a job and someone else quotes £50, the customer thinks they are getting exactly the same product and has saved £25 by ringing around. How many times have you heard that, 'Oh I'm just ringing around for prices.'
It's all very well saying 'sod these peasants' but they aren't peasants, they are just your average person who knows no better and end up having a negative experience of carpet cleaning and never have it done again.

To combat this our adverts say: IF YOU'RE RINGING AROUND LOOKING FOR THE CHEAPEST POSSIBLE PRICE....PLEASE DON'T CALL US!
WE CLEAN TO A STANDARD, NOT A PRICE!

Simon