This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon knight

Re: guys with uniforms.
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 02:52:10 pm »

Shorts, tee-shirt and deck shoes in this weather. Stuff what anybody thinks 8)

Tosh

Re: gays with uniforms.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 05:06:21 pm »
No customer worth having anything to do with is going to give a toss what you're wearing.

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

I've worn a uniform all my working life, firstly for 17 years in the army, then as a window cleaner.  Perception and first impressions count; fact.

I'm sure that when Wor Lass and I turn up to quote for a property that the customer firstly feels safe because we don't look like 'dodgy geezers' or fly-by-nights; we both dress the same; and I do realise that it looks a bit poncy.  Now-and-again when we're in 'uniform' and shopping in Tescos, she'll hold my hand, and I'll have to remind her not to, 'cos we're in uniform!

(I don't really care to be honest, but I've got a 'Geordie image' to keep up.)

But more importantly, when you're clean shaven, washed and smartly dressed (even if it is a window cleaner's uniform), it gives you more confidence when you stick a good price in. 

You've got a lovely van; it looks the part - but shame about your dress; and should I really be telling you this when you're my competition?

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 05:10:17 pm »
No customer worth having anything to do with is going to give a toss what you're wearing.

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

I've worn a uniform all my working life, firstly for 17 years in the army, then as a window cleaner.  Perception and first impressions count; fact.

I'm sure that when Wor Lass and I turn up to quote for a property that the customer firstly feels safe because we don't look like 'dodgy geezers' or fly-by-nights; we both dress the same; and I do realise that it looks a bit poncy.  Now-and-again when we're in 'uniform' and shopping in Tescos, she'll hold my hand, and I'll have to remind her not to, 'cos we're in uniform!

But more importantly, when you're clean shaven, washed and smartly dressed (even if it is a window cleaner's uniform), it gives you more confidence when you stick a good price in. 

You've got a lovely van; it looks the part - but shame about your dress; and should I really be telling you this when you're my competition?

That is a very good point just made there squeaky, and for less than £50 you can look the part.

Ian

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 05:38:58 pm »

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

That is a very good point just made there squeaky, and for less than £50 you can look the part.

Ian
Don't you mean look a "part" ;D

Never going to get any attention from babes wearing window cleaning uniform.  :o

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 05:44:57 pm »

Squeaks,

You're dead wrong here.

Ian
Don't you mean look a "part" ;D

Never going to get any attention from babes wearing window cleaning uniform.  :o
depends I guess on what you have on the uniform.

I was waiting for a good reply from you, and you never fail to make me laugh  ;)

simon knight

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:21 pm »

I suppose it depends on the sort of biz you're after. If you're trying to get commercial then I reckon a uniform is probably an asset.

If you're into res only then I feel a uniform would actually be a hinderance because a uniform smacks of a company, and most people would rather give their trade to the small guy.

Naturally ones morning routine must be, poo, shower, shave, brush teeth, loads of deodorant and clean clothes.

Nobody wants a smelly window cleaner ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »

I suppose it depends on the sort of biz you're after. If you're trying to get commercial then I reckon a uniform is probably an asset.

If you're into res only then I feel a uniform would actually be a hinderance because a uniform smacks of a company, and most people would rather give their trade to the small guy.

Naturally ones morning routine must be, poo, shower, shave, brush teeth, loads of deodorant and clean clothes.

Nobody wants a smelly window cleaner ;D
Spot on mate. ;)

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 07:20:52 pm »
God, the work i've lost already because my shorts came from Tesco's  ::)

What is it with uniforms? There's no need surely? half the customers are out anyway and i'm sure if i dressed like a Macdonalds employee it would make no difference.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »
It's about image - how the public perceive you.  A good, signwritten van and a uniform that reflects the van signage is worth thousands of pounds a year.

I've lost track of the compliments we receive about our "professional" image.  It gives an immediate feeling of confidence to people who see it, and that leads to far more enquiries than the competition ;)

simon knight

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 08:16:53 pm »

Ian it's advertising short and simple.  Public perception is:  "You're a window cleaner...ok you're a window cleaner who wears a uniform."

If wearing a uniform gets you more enquiries then obviously wear one...be silly not to!

My "uniform" is: shorts, tee-shirt and deck shoes...summer.
                          sweat shirt, jeans and trainers...winter.

I get loads of enquiries...they all come from recs (I don't think I get recs cos of my sexy legs ;D)

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 11:05:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with shorts during summer but be sensible, one colour and not too long or too short. You can also now get safety trainers so you cover all bases.
If you have a seriously good commercial contract then wear trousers for that job alone.
The trick here is to second guess what the 'payer' expects to see. If you were the MD of ICI would you be pleased to see people working on your buildings wearing designer trainers, Union Jack shorts and vest top?

TVCS

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 08:46:57 am »
we wear uniform, well embroidered shirts and smart ish trousers.  When I see the dole boys in there white shell suits and backwards caps with a fAg hanging from the corner of their gobs I think I would not want those boys wandering around my property. 
First impressions count for alot.  what does a few embroidered shirts cost.  Not much but you get alot back for a small investment.  Custies comment on it. 
To many dodgy window wipers out their to be tarred with.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

TVCS

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:02 pm »
Handbags anyone??

;D ;D
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

simon knight

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
Handbags anyone??

;D ;D

I'm not getting involved in this one. Anybody who drinks Brains gets my utmost respect ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »
Shame he didn't get to see my reply now. ;D
Not that he would admit it if he had. ;)

Still, I can't be doing with abuse on here, especially from someone I actually know.
But clearly doesn't know me...

jeff1

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:04 pm »
Well myself the boss and my daughter all wear embroidered polo shirts, and in the summer we all wear shorts below the knee with the company name and logo on an embroidered badge.
The boss has her own embroidery machine so cost nothing to look smart.

When we drove up our own road  one day last week there were 3 window cleaners doing a couple of houses, and they all looked pretty rough, baseball caps cut off jeans that were all frayed one had a white T-shirt on with tiny sleeves hairy arm pits and his T-shirt was full of holes, is that the type of image I want for my company ''NO Thanks''

jonah

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 10:32:27 pm »
Well myself the boss and my daughter all wear embroidered polo shirts, and in the summer we all wear shorts below the knee with the company name and logo on an embroidered badge.

When we drove up our own road  one day last week there were 3 window cleaners doing a couple of houses, and they all looked pretty rough, baseball caps cut off jeans that were all frayed one had a white T-shirt on with tiny sleeves hairy arm pits and his T-shirt was full of holes, is that the type of image I want for my company ''NO Thanks''
You must have been driving at 10 mph to notice all that ! How many cars were behind you ? LOL

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 10:37:15 pm »
I clean M&S inside and out twice a week in shorts, trainers and a designer stuble.

But I do wear a logo'd t-shirt or a logo'd hi viz top.

jeff1

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 10:55:32 pm »

You must have been driving at 10 mph to notice all that ! How many cars were behind you ? LOL
I was slowing down to turn into my drive and there were 3 of us in my car. so yes I was driving around 10mph

jeff1

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 11:23:34 pm »
I wouldn't touch any of my neighbours houses, I don't work in my own road, I suppose if they can't get a smart company to do it, then they have to make do with the scruffs.
I know I wouldn't want them on my property.