This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

carpet guy

Re: Why Not a Truck Mount?
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2008, 08:29:30 am »
 :-*

Darren O

« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2008, 08:34:06 am »
To me drying times are totaly over rated when i tell a customer there carpet will be dry in 3-4 hours they are over the moon and to this day ive never had a complaint about drying times.

carpet guy

« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2008, 09:26:13 am »
Keep it simple                       Darren...................way to go and just collect the money.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2008, 12:56:22 pm »
why do people have to exaggerate to emphasize a point ::) ::). so a truckmount cost £20-£30k and a portable cost £2-£4k

£20-£30k must include a van

so they will push this portable around in a wheelbarrow will they?  or do they also have to buy a van

you can buy a truckmount for £6,000 so the initial investment over a portable is only £2,000. there is an additional cost of fuel but at £2.50 an hour, not a big expense

also.......

Obviously, I hope, my posts have usually be intended as a cautionery note  with regard to new or relatively new people.

if you want to give  a 'cautionary note' to new starters don't also in the same post start quoting that a portable will earn '£30k in 6 months'  a bit misleading don't you think.

mike

Ps; after reading Joes post below I've deleted what could have be mis-interpreted as an insult on Carpet Guy, it would be a shame to allow this thread to go down hill.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2008, 01:12:10 pm »
For a thread to have 2 weeks without any serious major differences is now turning into a bit of a slanger - shame really - its been so good.

« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2008, 02:52:34 pm »
Joe how are you getting on with your T/M?

richie

« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »
Joe,
Dont look at it as a SLANGER.....more a MATTER OF DIFFERENCES ;D.  

I have nothing against CCs that use portables.  I know many that do a superb job with them and i have not said otherwise.  People use what ever they use.  End of story.  It is a shame that that some tend to look at the negative side of a TM when they have never used one in the real world except times like the SDO venues.  I feel that this is one of the reasons that Truckmounters was started,  to rid of the guys that want to knock a TM when they have never owned or used one.  99.9% of TMers have used a portable unit.  This i feel entitles them to further comment.  

Richie..

Joe H

« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2008, 04:39:08 pm »
Hi Mike
Well I was told it will take a bit of time to get used to it..... and it is.

Also got to get used to a green glide as well. That is proving a bit more challenging then getting used to the TM

Never had a problem wanding - no bad backs etc, but the wand with TM and without the glide .... I could pull but not push - too much suction.
Put a glide on (hybrid - slots and holes) and, yes it glides over the carpets but its taken something away (dont know what) that is taking some time to get used to.

The machine setup initially was using a garden hose supply - which is fine if the customer has a hose point. Did a job Monday with this setup - no problem.
Then Monday afternoon I finished fitting the 250 litre flat water tank and plumbed and wired in the 12v on demand water pump.
Yesterday I started a job with it all running but the water pump circuit blew a fuse, and no hose supply so I got the Scorpion out and did the job with that.

Todays job was 2 doors away but he must have forgot and has gone out so it will be back in action tomorrow.

Thanks for asking.

« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2008, 05:58:31 pm »
Joe

Bound to have a few teething troubles at first, as you say in a few weeks you will be flying.

I know what's missing now with the glide........hard work! ;D

Do you feel it's too easy to be true?

colin thomas

« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »
joe, if you have a second wand, try a slotted glide on that, i have both and use whichever one i feel is right for each job, (actually i have 4 wands but you can't take them all out can you!)

colin
colin thomas

Andy Foster

« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2008, 06:34:44 pm »
why do people have to exaggerate to emphasize a point ::) ::). so a truckmount cost £20-£30k and a portable cost £2-£4k

£20-£30k must include a van

so they will push this portable around in a wheelbarrow will they?  or do they also have to buy a van

you can buy a truckmount for £6,000 so the initial investment over a portable is only £2,000. there is an additional cost of fuel but at £2.50 an hour, not a big expense

also.......

Obviously, I hope, my posts have usually be intended as a cautionery note  with regard to new or relatively new people.

if you want to give  a 'cautionary note' to new starters don't also in the same post start quoting that a portable will earn '£30k in 6 months'  a bit misleading don't you think.

mike

Ps; after reading Joes post below I've deleted what could have be mis-interpreted as an insult on Carpet Guy, it would be a shame to allow this thread to go down hill.

Hi Mike

I am not sure who your post is aimed at but if it is at any of MY comments then please re-read my posts as I think you will find that I have not mentioned £20k setup for a TM nor have I said portable setup for £2k.

I actually said that MY second hand setup cost me £2k (the same setup is in fact for sale for £2k brand new now by the way including a better wand than I have plus a heater) and I never suggested that you would not need a van for a porty business but that you could buy a van and a porty setup for the price of a TM.

As for £30k in 6 months from a porty... why is this not possible?
If you want to talk exagerations then look further back for a reference to £160 for an hours work... this may happen from time to time but for the average carpet cleaner this is a very rare event regardless of the kit you use.
(Respect to Dave as he was just making a point.)

I was hoping that my previous post regarding the pros and cons would spark some intelligent discussion, but maybe I was being slightly optimistic!

Regards

Andy

PS - the difference between an entry level TM at £6k and an entry level porty at £2k is actually £4k - but hey 'its only mathematics but I like it'

Mike Halliday

« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2008, 06:40:50 pm »
Andy my post was aimed at Carpet Guy, if you read his post 2 above mine you will see the figures I've mentioned. then my post might make more sense.

I was trying to compare like for like with the entry level T/M of course you can buy a portable for £2k ( you can buy them for £800) the £4k I've quoted was for some thing that is often compared to a T/m a Scorpion

Andy Foster

« Reply #252 on: May 21, 2008, 06:44:10 pm »
OK Mike

Thanks for the clarification

Andy

Mike Halliday

« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2008, 06:44:29 pm »
Sorry Andy just checked and  carpet guy has realised what an idiot he looked with his post and  deleted it ( it was the one he has just got a kisising smiley in),  

good job really because it really showed his lack of knowledge of our industry. what a fool ::) ::)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2008, 06:45:09 pm »
Joe,
I think what you might be missing is the agitation you got used to with an unglided wand. The Slotted glide does give you a measure of agitation, but if I get a job where the soil is deep seated with lots of deep spots I get the unglded wand out.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Joe H

« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2008, 07:46:52 pm »
Colin (Thomas) - your right you cant take 4 wands with you - you only have 2 hands  ;D

Dave_Lee - I think your right about the agitation - I didnt want to come to a conclusion yet. There is not much agitation with a glide - after all it "glides".
Dave, when you get the unglided wand out - what is your technique? As I said before, I can pull but not easy to push, are you lifting? or what?

Got my neighbours house done at teatime. Done a few times with the CFR500 I had and once with the Scorpion. Got through it a bit quicker with the TM - I am getting better with it.

carpetworx

« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2008, 03:51:51 am »
Joe just turn your psi up,that will agitate for you,and now you have more suction,and glide,the carpet wont get too wet.try it.. ;)

Joe H

« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2008, 06:47:20 am »
Thanks for comments

Carpetwork - when you say turn pressure up - I am generaly about 250-300, so turn it up to what to get the agitation?

liahona

« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2008, 07:20:21 am »
Joe, anywhere between 4 or 500 psi will be enough to agitate, especially if you have more than one jet.  I have one jet and still clean at or thereabouts 500 psi.   Many years ago Shaw suggested to clean around 430 psi, but dont quote me on that as it was so many years ago when I researched that info. 250 or 300 is just not enough.

Added to the problem is the jets being external and farther away from the carpet than they "could" be reduces the pressure. So 250 with two external jets wont actually strike the carpet at 250.

Best, Dave.

john rees

« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2008, 07:21:48 am »
Hi Joe,
          I run my t/m's at 350 to 450 for carpets and about 250 for upholstery.

All the best
                                      John
john