This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lands

Re: Why Not a Truck Mount?
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2008, 10:53:20 pm »
I can't speak for HM but I remember my (fairly recent) days of dealing with John at Prochem and he knows what he's doing and is very likeable too.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2008, 11:13:20 pm »
I just want to say that I'm a happy and contented carpet cleaner.

I have a porty, the customers seem pleased with it; I'm happy with the results.

Carpet and upholstery cleaning are the only forms on income I generate but working approximately 9.30 to 4.30 five days a week plus the odd commercial job on a Saturday has given me an income 3 times what I earned as a bank manager and I take about 10 weeks holiday a year. I'm fitter and stronger than I was (present medical conditions not withstanding) and am not stressed

I hope to retire in 5 years and have plans afoot to sell my business at considerable profit. Therefore the return I would need of a TM in extra business (which I am not interested in chasing) means the maths doesn't add up for me in respect of rate of return.

I can appreciate all the arguments from TM owners and in fact I am trying to arrange a day out with a TM owner simply to improve my knowledge but it won't make me buy one.

My work/life balance is fine and I am quite happy so overall I will just stick with what I am good and happy with.

I'm not trying to make a point; I'm just telling you where I am. Everybody else can draw whatever conclusions they like and I'll try and answer any questions you may have.

Live and let live (and thank you everybody for remaining so polite on this post).

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

carpetworx

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2008, 05:58:16 am »
Andy thanks for that info,i have seen a demo from the ccdo on u tube of the prowler,must say it looks like a nice piece of kit,and you can bring it out of your vehicle. cheers clinton

Whats the link for the you tube demo? cheers.

Martin

John Kelly

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2008, 07:04:13 am »
I think the most beneficial reason to owning a truckmount (petrol/diesel driven self contained machine) is time saving.

nevil

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2008, 08:34:04 am »
what do you guys think of my new set up. what shall i put in the spare space? ???

Goron, spare space? By the time you load the 5 miles of pipes you are going to need in the windy cornish lanes you won't have too much spare space.
Nevil

spencer davies

« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2008, 09:48:34 am »
Roger makes some valid points,

I think that people can be a little caught up in what everyone else is doing sometimes, owning a truckmount means we are spending less time actually working, which has got to be the best advantage in my mind, but if you are happy with the way you work, why change things.

Regards

S

richie

« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:25 am »
This thread had the potential to be a great one however,  what i thought was going to happen DID.  Portable users that just love to knock a TM at every given opportunity have done so YET AGAIN.  Simon started this thread to ask simple questions and said he did not want it to be a TM vs PORTY debate. 
At the end of the day some users of a porty are better off with such machine due to their type of work but others would benefit from a TM but just cant see past the end of their noses.  Have none of the anti TM porty users ever had a job and wished they had that extra cleaning power?  If you answer NO then either you clean just clean - medium dirty carpets or you are telling porkies just to save face.

Richie.

carpet guy

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2008, 12:58:48 pm »
I think you are wrong Richie.

The posters have all been pretty matter of fact and simply gave their personal reasons for doing what they do with virtually none of the digs that might have been made.

If I have old tools which sit comfortably in my hand, or enable me to achieve better results than " super duper "new, or bigger tools I am unlikely to change.

Ironically, much of what is posted as GOOD reasons to use a T/M are seen by others as GOOD reasons to use portables. C'est la vie !

Cost will always be a factor, for many.................it's frequently posted that you can buy a T/M for around £5 k, but, you need a MUCH BIGGER VEHICLE which could add £12 k to the outlay and much more.

I and a few others have mastered the use of the microvan with the huge benefits available from doing so, eg, access, parking, running costs and about 50% or more saving on set up costs.

I bought a little Suzuki 1300 microvan for just over £5k and it can house a Triple vac / 500 psi portable, 50 feet or more hose, rotary with pads/brushes, upright vacuum, Puzzi and a lot more.

I can go along narrow paths, park in tiny areas, and get around 60 mpg, etc

If I was setting up and had around £40k and 30 years younger I might see things differently.

lands

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »
This thread had the potential to be a great one however,  what i thought was going to happen DID.  Portable users that just love to knock a TM at every given opportunity have done so YET AGAIN.  Simon started this thread to ask simple questions and said he did not want it to be a TM vs PORTY debate. 
At the end of the day some users of a porty are better off with such machine due to their type of work but others would benefit from a TM but just cant see past the end of their noses.  Have none of the anti TM porty users ever had a job and wished they had that extra cleaning power?  If you answer NO then either you clean just clean - medium dirty carpets or you are telling porkies just to save face.

Richie.

Richie

Exactly where has anyone knocked the TM???

As Rob has said many have given simple reasoning why its not right for them or that the finances simply don't add up at the moment. Your right it is a good thread as long as it stays as a debate and not an accusatory stand off between differing sets of opnions.

I have seen this happen on so many threads. When you get personal it loses its value and I for one switch off (as I believe many others do to).

Pete

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »
Richie

You say simon didn't want it to be a TM vs Porty debate. Then why start a thread titled 'Why not a Truck Mount?'  ::)

MICHAEL_GAYTON

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2008, 04:12:15 pm »
I think the people who benefit  from all this, are the dealers rubbing there hands together, you buy one machine you what a bigger one etc etc ( boys and toys).I went the other way from t/m to porty/host etc. Had a t/m for over 13 years do i miss it no because i  no longer  clean pubs  night clubs do i miss cleaning heavy bar tar carpets like hole in the head no.Do i like using portys /host and bonnet system yes makes it fun again!!!!. have my customers ran away NO.
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »
Carpet Guy

I agree with you almost wholeheartedly, it's all about being happy with your lot and you clearly are and you can't ask for more than that.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »
Mike,

Why Not A Truck Mount?
Surely the question is why don't people have a Truck Mount? It wasn't a provocative question, it was merely framed that way so that people would respond exactly as they have and discuss the pro's and con's in a calm and measured way. Is there something wrong with that, Mike?
Simon

MICHAEL_GAYTON

« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2008, 04:28:27 pm »
maybe because they do not what one simon,i can see why you use one or two .any way are you still cleaning the ships!!
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

PaulKing

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2008, 04:48:16 pm »
I think  because it is a large investment for the small business to make to jump from portable to a TM , and let face it I know of only one person you went from a TM to a portable through their own free will. That speaks volumes. 

Certainly didn't view Truck mounts as anything special until I used one on a job I had done with a portable and bought one that day.

Let face it it the same sytems as the portable, just more available vacume and pressure. Which is what most people aspire to as it makes the job easier sometimes.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2008, 04:57:42 pm »
Simon

My comment is more aimed at Richie's response who seems to think just because some people aren't agreeing every CC should have a TM that they are knocking TMs.

These threads don't change minds, they just demonstrate peoples belief systems and how entrenched they are. 

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2008, 05:35:51 pm »
Paul,
But surely twenty grand in this day and age to set up a small business with the means to generate sales up to the £50K - £60K a year and well beyond surely that is  peanuts in comparison to the set up costs of other small businesses. And then of course there's the profit margin, where else can you get a business that gives you 90% gross profit? Christ, it's almost printing money if you're prepared to go out there and get the work.

Simon

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2008, 05:59:37 pm »
If you look at it this way

You buy a medium van new £10k, 2 x porti £3k with all of the extras, then you replace 8 x vac motors and 8 pumps over a 4 year period £20k?? just over £100 a week to buy with bank loan.

You buy a medium to large van £13k, TM starter £7k, fuel £6k over a 4 year period £26k?? just over £135 a week with bank loan.

The real reason people don't want to buy is because they are afraid that work will dry up and it's a commitment but so is a morgage and feeding the kids etc (don't forget I've deliberated over these issues)

Shaun

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:50 pm »
as many people know my hubbys is the car trade and we stuff like this all the time , we have a local window cleaner that as a old transit . now there northing worng with it apart from  its dogged with miles 295k

now he moans like hell about it all the time but wont buy a newer van yet he gets a new car every two years he now as an evo 9

the thing is hes willing to go out and spend 28k on a car he will drive on a weekend if hes lucky but wont go and spend 28k on a set up that allows him to buy a new car every two years ???

madness

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2008, 06:17:44 pm »
Shaun
You're right, but then I know so many people, Glyn Waterworth being the most notable who was dead set against Truck Mounts for years and years until he bought my Prochem Bruin. Within a year Glyn had bought a Maxx 470 and another van and a year or so after that got a brand new van with a brand new Maxx 470. Glyn will be the first to tell you that not only was he wrong about Truck Mounts and what they can do for your business , but that he never made any money in carpet cleaning UNTIL he bought his Truck Mount.

Simon