Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Re: Why Not a Truck Mount?
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2008, 08:38:21 pm »
Well said Paul.
I think there's just a touch of bragging going on in Dave's case and not a lot else judging by the quality of his posts.

Simon

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »
Simon, before this thread goes pear-shaped, perhaps you could give us some pointers on the best route to go regarding a first-purchase truckmount.

Lets say a porty owner has 10K to spend or maybe even a leasing facility up to that amount.

Do you suggest a prowler with all possible extras - or an entry level new TM or a second hand high spec TM with reasonable hours on the clock ?

I personally wouldn't want to tie up my hard earned on a 5 year old plus machine and possibly inherit someone elses problems. But then I have the same philosophy about vans and cars - they always have to be new if I am going to change one of them.

Steve

Neil Grainger

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2008, 08:45:22 pm »
Dave's one of the most genuin guys on here and what he says about this business is normally top information.

Give him a call, he's very open with advice which has worked for me. Top guy with top knowledge.

Nigel_W

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2008, 08:46:19 pm »
Simon,

When you were a little boy did you used to play the game "Simon says". Methinks you are still playing it ;D

I think we all need to accept that despite the fact that we are all carpet cleaners we are a diverse group of individuals with a wide range of clients, types of carpet to clean, standards of work etc. What works for some does not for others and there are many approaches that work.  I too have a very succesful carpet cleaning business and it is very tempting to think that what works for me should be apoted by all. However I realise now that this simply isn't true.

For the record I too wouldn't touch any of the carpets I clean with an RX20. I bought one years ago, but it was a mistake for my business and the type of carpets I clean. That said it is a well built piece of kit that I am sure would be invaluable to some carpet cleaning businesses but defintely not all

Nigel

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2008, 08:49:34 pm »
Well said Paul.
I think there's just a touch of bragging going on in Dave's case and not a lot else judging by the quality of his posts.

Simon

I agree Simon, these people who brag all the time about how big their truckmount is and their accesories  ;)

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:09 pm »
what do you guys think of my new set up. what shall i put in the spare space? ???

spencer davies

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2008, 09:10:14 pm »
 ;D   Goron never disappoints

S

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2008, 09:15:57 pm »
Nigel,
A bit techy aren't we?
I have never sought to persuade you or anyone else of the virtues of how I do things and certainly wouldn't call into question how someone else goes about doing a similar thing, but if you have perceived anything I've said in the topic as that then you have my apologies.
For the record, I too wouldn't use an RX20 on some carpets and wouldn't dream of it on others, but then I wasn't suggesting that anyone should.

Simon

mark_roberts

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »
Ive an rx20 and love to use when I get a chance which is usually only on woven carpets in commercial environments.

Now I wouldnt use it on a wool berber but are there other carpets or reasons Nigel and Dave, where you wouldnt use it?

thanks
Mark

BTW its a pain to use in a residential situation.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »
Hi Steve,

I think you've answered your own question in some respects because you don't seem too keen on a second  hand unit.

Its is a mistake to buy your first Truck Mount to a sum of money and let that sum of money pick the machine, like the Prowler you just mentioned. The Prowler is a fine machine and may well fit your needs perfectly and if that is the case you would be right to invest in one.
But there's more to it than just that. You must also consider the amount and type of work you have now and the amount and type of work you hope to do when you get your Truck Mount. If you aspire to get into, or more into the commercial market then the Prowler may turn out to be a bad choice because the bigger the jobs, the more powerful the machine you require to do them.
You really need to sit down and have a really good think about where you want your business to be in the next five years and then decide which machine best suits your plan. I say all of this because I've met so many people over the years that failed to consider this aspect of buying a Truck Mount and found that the machine they bought wasn't capable of generating the income to pay for it.

But if you want an off the cuff piece of advice, I'd be looking out for a good mid sized second hand machine in a van that may not be new but will instantly provide you with better quality, quicker cleaning and access to far more lucrative markets and change in your hand from £10K or less.
If you need any further help, please feel free to call me: 07810 522063

Simon

liahona

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
Mark.  In general the carpets which might cause a problem are:

Pure silk

Silk blends

Hand knotted

Paper

Mercerised cotton

Linnen

Leather (obviously)

Velvet weaves

Shag

Cotton

Coir

Entrance matting but not sure??

Karastans

Courtisans

I am sure there are more but these are a few

Best, Dave

elliott cleaning

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2008, 09:47:02 pm »
Dave

Following my previous post having a bit of a dig at you, I for one appreciate that you have clarified for those maybe not in the know as to which type of carpets RXs' might not be suitable for

mark_roberts

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2008, 09:52:50 pm »
Yes thanks for that although I knew the RX20 or many other machines for that matter couldnt be used on those fibres/designs you mentioned but I dont come across them that often and more in rugs than carpets.

I was more talking about the 'normal' style tufted and woven wool blend carpets most people have.  I assuming from you list you havent a problem RXing these types of carpet if you so desired.

Mark

liahona

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:21 pm »
Mark, I dont RX anything so cant really answer.  Simon must know what you shouldnt RX, perhaps he can advise.

Best, Dave.

Len Gribble

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:43 pm »
Think I would be still in Stevenage 2004 if I didn’t have the tool to do the job.

Dave

Non-what’s so ever apart from think you may have had more psi from the tap where as I had to use volume took a bit longer. 8)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Darren O

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:10 pm »
The only thing that puts me of truckmounts is the servicing and if they brake down who fixes them.If i bought a truckmount it would be from Hydramaster but they are more than 500 miles away is there places in Scotland that you can take your truckmount to,as i dont no how to change a pump in my porty never mind tackling a truckmount. Darren

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »
Darren,
On the hole Truck Mounts rarely break down and need very little servicing which can be done by anyone with even the most basic skills.
Hydramaster have an office in Oxford now. But the best place to get repair advice and fault diagnosis is on here where there always seem to either be someone whose had the same problem or someone who knows how to fix it.

Simon

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:39 pm »
According to Mr Kelly the Prowler can be fixed at any decent pressure washer servicing place.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2008, 10:45:15 pm »
Not much to go wrong with the Prowler that's what it was designed for but the higher you go up the power the more there is to go wrong if you don't do oil changes etc

I was looking at the Prowler but opted for a Boxxer 427, I just like the extra power and I was really impressed with Steve Knight's 427 it had loads more but obviously at a bigger price, all depends on what you want. BTW I do domestic work.

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2008, 10:50:43 pm »
I think pretty much all of the UK Truck Mount suppliers seem to be pretty switched on as far as servicing and parts are concerned. Martin at Hydramaster is a real wizard with the HM range and John Taylor at Prochem is also exceptional.

Simon