Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Len Gribble

Re: Why Not a Truck Mount?
« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2008, 07:48:14 pm »
Rob

Also not a fan of o/p used one about five/six years ago it seemed to have a mind of it own. 8)

You sound like a franchisor (low start up costs and high potential earnings) ;D ;D :'(

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

*paul_moss

« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2008, 08:41:54 pm »
We all have our opinions on this based on our own specific situation.  I do agree that for most portable users (unless they have chosen the 'lifestyle' option) a Tm is out of reach financially because their business is at an early stage of development, their part-time or they just dont turnover enough to justify the expense of purchase and running costs.  There is no shame in this BTW.  It is us who dictate how fast we grow and how much we make.  Ive been in all three situations and a Tm was only purchased when it was needed as a labour saving tool.

And thats what a TM is.  A labour saving tool.  The same results can be got with a spoonge or a £1000 portable or a £4000 portable.  It just takes longer.  This whole argument of TM v portable could easily be mirrored with vax v portable or DIY v professional from a customers point of view.   The principles are the same.

As for £50 and hour or £160 an hour or £100k a year is all possible depending upon you.  I used to think £30 an hour was good until i realised just how much it takes to run a professional carpet cleaning business.  Theres guys i know making over £150k on their own.  They have chosen their market and can charge and make the figures they desire.

I believe the next year or so will be difficult due to the economy.  Its those cleaners who run professional businesses meeting the needs of thier existing and potential customers who will be around for years to come.  Therefore we should be moving our businesses in this direction regardless of portables or Tms.

Mark

Mark I think that is the best post that has been made.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

carpetmonsters

« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2008, 09:04:14 pm »
Hi
I have been folowing this thread since the start and its not about the machines its about results 2 new customers this week both from referals.First cutomer trashed carpets had them cleaned once and then had to be replaced due to smell that could not be removed wasent there before dont know what system used.  Now for the secound customer had a poor experiance with hwe poor results both customers will refer me and give recommendations.

I use o/p and have been for many years

steve

*paul_moss

« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »
At the end of the day its each to their own. As long as you get the results the customer has asked for and they are happy with end result then happy days, whether is a truck,porty,bonnet, host, etc etc.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

carpet guy

« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2008, 10:17:57 pm »
Len

Sorry if I sound like a franchisor, or franchisee, I'm neither, never could be, I just know there's more to life, than being a sheep, even a sheep that lives in a big house.

All I'm doing, is responding to a single minded opinion, with an alternative, as the objective of running any business, is the BOTTOM LINE and retaining as much as possible of the gross profit.

As I'm sure a few others will be well aware Jim Guerlink has developed the o/p o offer a genuine alternative to hwe. So much so, that he converts t/m users to o/p based on results.

Len Gribble

« Reply #305 on: May 25, 2008, 05:27:05 pm »
Rob

(it would be foolish to ignore O/P) O/P machines appear to be very expensive over here and limited suppliers!  :o Compared to say Numatic which is a cheaper alternative, ;) is there a UK manufacturer for O/P if not why not.

Think a few TM’ers/porty users, use other systems but main stay is you what. ;)

Have to take the fifth on the Americans  :-X

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

rich hand

« Reply #306 on: May 25, 2008, 06:17:31 pm »
I know you're not a fan of O/P cleaning and I know you've tried it and it won't be for everyone, but from a business perspective, it makes absolute sense.

Use the method that will make you most money, period!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been shown recently that cleaning leather could be made much easier and quicker and as a result more profitable, so more people are taking it up.

I'm not talking about the absolute best possible result, I'M TAKING ABOUT EARNING MONEY although it's been shown that O/P cleaning can get fantastic results and be a lot more profitable than HWE.

The question was " Why Not a Truck Mount "

There are a few answers above all perfectly reasonable, and because of the blinkered attitude, I feel the need to give the most important reason of all.

You can earn more, without the big outlay by following the growing in popularity method of cleaning, known as O/P cleaning.

About one fifth to one tenth the cost of a T/M
Only requires a small vehicle
Uses very little water
Easy to use, quick to learn
Green appeal
Fantastic results
Customer satisfaction

You asked the question. You have a few answers. I'm well aware of the cynical responses which will come, but rotaries are not new, been around for half a century, O/P machines have been developed over the past 10 - 15 years.
I imported one about 10 years ago, which I felt was too light and have watched their development along with greatly improved chemicals.

There's more than one way to skin cat and with the high productivety, low start up costs and high potential earnings, it would be foolish to ignore O/P.

The " muck spreading " comments are not justified as anyone who's used used these methods properly will testify.

OP machines were actually around years before the rotary.

I think it goes something like; the high speed rotary arrived and took over the OP machine with the slow speed rotary following to fill the gap.

However, people are realising that the OP can take the place of having 2 rotaries.

On with the debate...

carpet guy

« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2008, 06:34:48 pm »
As far as I know Rich the originators of the o/p are Argo but not certain, they were using rotary in the late 1940's and developed a machine wich has a rectangular drive plate. I imported one about 10 years ago, but found it too light ( it was the smallest )

Argo have their own chemical, which a couple of guys on here have used, I found it to be a fantastic product.

Their concept was similar to Texatherm, but without the heat and with only one product.

Len

There is an o/p on sale at around £1800, from the guy in Cornwall, about the same as a twin vac / 300 psi machine.

Len Gribble

« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2008, 08:34:35 pm »
Rich

I love history can you provide data ::) (OP machines were actually around years before the rotary.) :-*

Rob

It’s American I want British or at least EU. ;)

Len

carpet guy

« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2008, 08:58:19 pm »
Len

What do you currently use that is really British ? What's wrong with American or Canadian.
Some of the machines come from as far as Australia, some from India, others from Italy and Germany even South Africa.
As in any business, with the main objective being profit, there is only one way to go. The product that cleans most effectively always considering cost effectiveness as well as efficiency.
Machines / Systems which provide the highest productivety and are the least labour intensive.
If you want to add the "eco" side of things, fine, but I don't really subscribe to much of the thinking. For example there is certainly no shortage of water in the UK it's just not managed effectively and there is an unstoppable and constant production of heat and gases from under our oceans, definately not controllale by humans.

carpetmonsters

« Reply #310 on: May 25, 2008, 10:32:40 pm »
Hi
I belive the op machine was made by ricket and coleman to sand wood floors back in the thirties as they dont leave swerll marks in the wood. the ameriacans found they could be used for cleaning carpets

steve

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2008, 05:45:14 pm »
I can see similaritys here the same as we have in window cleaning.

You ca make a decent living with a ladder and a squeegie and £10.00 of petrol in your family car, but to make the real dosh you need wfp and everything that goes with it.

A £20k van
A £5k system
£3k worth of poles
and £400 of fuel a month.

I know which side my breads buttered so i jumped in feet first, never looked back trebled my turnover in 3 years

Len Gribble

« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2008, 08:41:37 pm »
Rob

I love Americans and Canadians and some other countries that you mentioned, got to keep on there right side got family there cheap hols.

Could not agree more (As in any business, with the main objective being profit) there are cheaper rotary machines out there and to a point British, so why would I buy one that comes from America. Yes the tm came from there but parts are available here.

One day I will tell you about my muck spreading antics customer over the moon that was before hwe. :D

Len

carpet guy

« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2008, 12:17:03 am »
Len

A good reason to buy anything from the US is the lack of availability and, or, cost. I've imported a number of items ( mainly for sports rehab or similar ) but I'm pleased to say, the best Laser therapy device available is exported to the US from Britain ( made in Scotland )

I only got involved in the o/p postings as I was getting fed up with the uncompromising comments.

We are all different--- in ability - physical capability - quality delivered - desires - motivation, etc.

A dedicated and exceptional operator using a decent portable, can produce as good a result as an average t/m operator. Does'nt mean the portables a better machine, but if someone is happy with the extra effort involved, fine!

Was watching Top Gear today, when a car with massive power and high top speed was soundly beaten by less powerful and lower top speed, cars on the circuit, thought it was a good analogy.

Len Gribble

« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2008, 08:14:52 pm »
Rob

I for one know TM’s are not the Holy Grail.  On some of my jobs it lays dormant. :'(

I also watch top gear great isn’t it, my 105e run rings round the e-type on the track. :D

Len

carpet guy

« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2008, 08:39:20 pm »
Think the momentum has gone from this one Len. I remember a friend who owned a garage, picked up half a dozen 105's for £ 80 each at an auction.