This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Surge of windowcleaners coming
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:21:56 pm »
My old print firm shut on the weekend so that's nearly 300 without jobs, another local factory went last month and another is about to shed jobs, this looks like a recession starting to bite - houses have stopped selling food is going up along with every consumable. Interestingly the print firm director wanted to put a clause in everyones contract allowing him to sue any individual for any mistakes leading to spoilt work.

jeff1

Re: Surge of windowcleaners coming
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:36:21 pm »
I said to the same to the Boss when I seen it on TV last night.

Nice way they went about sacking them all, letter in the post on Saturday telling them there sacked, when some turned up on Monday morning, all the gates were locked and they had security guards on the gates.

TDW

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:08:55 pm »
Theres so many doom mongers on this site. Lets all go top ourselves :) theres no hope!

Ian W

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:09:33 pm »
Wow, that is a terrible way to treat a workforce...  :o

You may be right, there could be an influx of new cleaners with so many people losing their jobs. Are there other local opportunities for jobs?
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:24:37 pm »
Pretty grim in my area to be honest. Too many eastern europeans about. I moan about this job sometimes with the bad weather but at least i don't have all my eggs in one basket.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:08 pm »
i,m with tdw , try a bit of positive mental attitude , you never know you might even break into a smile regards alan

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:39 pm »
Hey hang on a minute, i'm alright i'm happy  :) I just feel sorry for all my old mates with no job and no prospects of getting another. I got out a year ago when i could see trouble ahead. This trade was just about the only option available to me.

LWC

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:45:09 pm »
come on seriously...who'd wanna be a window cleaner

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 05:49:35 pm »
I said to the same to the Boss when I seen it on TV last night.

Nice way they went about sacking them all, letter in the post on Saturday telling them there sacked, when some turned up on Monday morning, all the gates were locked and they had security guards on the gates.

In the late 80s, I worked for a print firm that went into receivership.  We only found out because one of the guys read a fairly decent newspaper.  This was at 6 in the morning.  When the bosses came in at 9, the only machine doing any work was the kettle.  We figured there was no point starting work if there was a possibility of not getting paid for it.  As it turned out, it ran under receivership for another two years but no buyer was prepared to buy it so it then went pop.
Unemployment was what started me on the window cleaning road in 1991 so I reckon there will be plenty more after starting up in such a situation.  There may well be enough work for all, but supply and demand could hold rates down.

karlosdaze

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13:34 am »
I think internet companies like these don't help:

ht tp://robinson-solutions.blogspot.com/2008/04/driving-down-prices.html

Distortion

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 07:13:14 am »

ME !!!

I really want this. My wife has sold an expensive hi-fi to fund my kit, no loans or credit cards here

I currently work filing metal bits all day. It drags the day out like mad and can be soul destroying at times.

I don't have qualifications or the time to take a lower wage to train due to a family like most on here I would imagine.

I'm not asking to be Mr Rich. I just want to work hard and get the money I deserve, not a pittance like I am.

Just my 2p's worth

JP

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:36:46 am »
Karl to post a link do it in the same format as this, just drop the http//

www.robinson-solutions.blogspot.com/2008/04/driving-down-prices.html

MJH

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:35:12 am »

Exactly, why think just because a firm goes down the pan everyone will want to start window cleaning, its not that easy to set up a good profitable buisness from scratch, most of these factory guys will be used to a steady wage!!!!!

Jimmy1

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 03:25:26 pm »
This blogger is showing an article about an American company, I dont think thie idea would work here.