Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Chapman

Dare I ask another leather question?
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »
I think i know the answer to this but will ask any way ::)

I will be brave, is it actually possible to clean a two tone antique finish leather

suite without taking the finish off / or having to recolour it?

I have been asked to clean one like this, but i know from the one i own myself

the slightest amount of moisture on it brings the dark finish off leaving the

lighter colour exposed underneath,

Are they all like this or are there different finishes?  Or is mine perhaps

knackered  :P

regards
steve

Deep Clean Newcastle Gateshead

Re: Dare I ask another leather question?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:06 pm »
if water brings off the dark top coat and you dont want to respray I would say NO! to the customer
Northumberland, Newcastle & Gateshead Carpet Cleaning
http://www.deepclean-uk.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:56:49 pm »
Steve  I think you are looking at an antique finish rather than a 2 tone. Its similar as the antique finish is put over the base colour, some times it is rubbed off in places to make it look more antique.
If the antique comes off with just water on a wet cloth it just means it has lost its topcoat/finish, you can test this by rubbing an area thats not used much like the back, you wil find that it wont rub off there.
Its a straight forward process, I did 3 last month.
Clean down with Ultra clean and if necessary give it a hit with an alcohol cleaner. Then spray on the antique colour, practice the pattern on some a4 paper first so your happy with you spraying technique, then when dry re top coat. Job done.
Ben at Furniture clinic will send ou out the aniqu colour you ned the next day, just phon him with he colour you need.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

carpet guy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »
The re finishing of this type of suite,is actually the easiest of them all, although it looks a bit daunting

Steve Chapman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:20:14 pm »
ok cheers

to get the right look do i need to take off some of the dark colour after its been sprayed, or just spray a bit heavier around the buttons etc/

ta
steve

*paul_moss

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »
Steve I just spray iit on with a good air gun ( fine jet) and compressor. You can spra lightly on some areas and heavier on others to copy the pattern. Just have a go and you will see its not that hard.
As I said earlier you can practice on paper at home to hone your spraying skills.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 08:29:39 pm »
Hi Steve

All the antique finish colours are also available in aerosol cans that make life much easier. 
Antique finishes were designed to wear over time and the way that they come off will depend on the strength of finish applied in the first place and the amount of wear, cleaning that has been done etc. all of which will affect the way the colour wears.  The antique finishes are one of the easiest restoration jobs to do and with a little practice are very effective.

Two tone finshes are slightly different although some of them will tend to wear in a similar way.   It is sometimes difficult to distinguish the top colour that has been applied and to replicate the pattern as these are often applied in different ways, hand wiped, sprayed, rolled etc.

Hope this helps

http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC