Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

barty

Leather & Suede Suite
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:36:07 pm »
Can anybody help,Asked to clean Leather & Suede suite by a new customer no problem with cleaning the leather area but have not cleaned suede  before so can you please pass on the correct procdure

LTT Leathercare

Re: Leather & Suede Suite
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:47:40 pm »
The first step you need to take is to acertain whether it is suede or a fabric 'look alike'.  Buffalo and alcantara can look very much like and are often mistaken for suede.

Suede is very rare on furniture (nubuck is a little more common) and would have been very very expensive (the cost of the suite is always a clue)

If you have trouble deciding give me a ring and I will talk you through.  Usually easy to identify with a microscope.

If it is suede it will require a 'dry' approach as anything wet will simply be drawn further into the suede and take any soiling with it.  The way we usually approach these is with a napping brush and a nubuck cloth.  The napping brush breaks up the surface and the cloth does the cleaning.  It is also a good idea to use a suede protector when you have finished as this will help keep it cleaner.
If you try this method on fabric it will ruin it!!!!!

Ring if you need any further help.
Cheers
Judy
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Roger Koh

Picture #1 shows spraying cleaner3.8 to the suede next to the fur trim.

Roger Koh

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:24:59 pm »
Picture #2 shows spraying rinse3.0 thereafter.

Roger Koh

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »
Picture #3 shows soil extraction.

Roger Koh

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 06:28:17 pm »
Picture #4 shows dry soil removal after drying.

To Inform! & To Inspire!

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System
f.com

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:29:58 pm »
Roger I cleaned my wife's UGG boots with your cleaner and they came up like brand new no kinding (I'll be able to wear them now!)

Shaun

Roger Koh

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:36:41 pm »
You make me smile!

Keep it up!

You can “Wet Clean” suede of any kind safely and effectively with the Leather Doctor® System.

Roger Koh

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:44:43 pm »
Laughter is theraputic Roger ;D

Shaun

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:11:42 am »
Due to the nature of leather it cannot be extraction cleaned as there is no air movement going on so applying wet products only serves to draw the dirt and soiling in further to the leather.

Nubuck and suede are very unstable dye wise and as soiling cannot be extracted, anything on the cloth is more likely to be dye rather than dirt.

The brush is very good as this raises the nap and enables any surface residues of dirt or oils to be cleaned off with a nubuck cloth.

Here to help
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

*paul_moss

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:16:25 am »
Roger I got a similar result on my wifes 10 year old suede slip ons that she uses for everything as they are so comfy. I did exactly what you have done in the pictures with the same products and the result was AMAZING, posted the pics a few days ago, dont know if you got a chance to see them.

Roger ive got to say there are some companies a little behind the times now on this side of the pond.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Roger Koh

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:51 am »
Yes, I have seen the picture, Paul.
www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=53515.0

I remember Pete post the result of a baby pink little suede boots too!
www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=53494.msg450920#msg450920

The following pictures show Blue Jean Dye cleaning on a Puma Suede Shoe.

Picture #1 shows Blue Jean Dye Stains on Puma® Suede Shoe – spot cleaning with spotter4.6™

Roger Koh

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:58:34 am »
Picture #2 shows Preconditioning with superClean4.0™.

Roger Koh

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:39 am »
Picture #3 shows “Wet Agitation” with suedeBrush3™ after cleaner3.8™ follows with rinse3.0™.

Roger Koh

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 11:00:35 am »
Picture #4 shows EXTRACTION – minus the “Airflow and Airlift”.

Roger Koh

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 11:01:39 am »
Picture #5 Do you like the Result?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

*paul_moss

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:40:21 am »
Roger great result  8)

Regarding extraction cleaning and air movement. This is very similar to normal upholstery and carpet cleaning.
I quite often get asked by customers why my stain has reapeared after I cleaned it and it had disappeared.This is usually the case when any volume of a liquid has been spilled onto a carpet or upholstery. What happens is that the stain is cleaned at the top of the fibre or flock and the stain removed,but the residue of the rest of the stain is still in the base.As moisture dries which is upwards the stain/residue then wicks back up the carpet/fibre with the moisture and when dry settles on the surface again( stain reappeared.
Rogers cleaning method is very similar to this as he cleans the suede with chemicals that displace the muck/grease etc and is able to clean most from the surface, the correct acidic type rince will help this. As the leather dries ( outward or upward) the residue that is further down will rise to the surface and when dry can be brushed off. Or it can be cleaned again if the soil is still quite heavy by doing the process again.

Good system Roger and something new for *** to try  :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 12:03:45 pm »
Roger
You have just illustrated, inadvertently, living proof that cleaning in a particular style, is NOT muck spreading, as suggested by some whe can't see beyond HWE.
The principle you've shown so effectively, is vitually the same as the, popular, particularly in the US and Canada, method of cleaning carpets by encapsulation, and O/P machines.

I don't doubt there will be a negative response to this post, but I've been experimenting for a couple of years and Padman in America has a growing fan base of converts / users.

rob

*paul_moss

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »
But Rob Pad man dont wear Puma trainers  :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:24 pm »
Never noticed, to be honest, his large hat and Biker beard kinda takes your attention away from his feet.