Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M.Acorn

Bed bugs
« on: April 14, 2008, 01:19:32 pm »
Not for a customer but for me ! about this time every year we start to hear little tapping noises in our bedroom coming from some sort of insect,i sprayed with something called indorex for fleas perfenthryn or something like that.Sort of did the trick for a while found lot`s of dead ones the day after !
we live in a 15th centuary cottage so there are loads of places for them to hide ! in the bedroom we have floorboards going in 1 direction then as they wore out someone put more on top of them in the opposite direction ! then there is a thick layer of jute i think really thick brown fibre stuff then carpet on top ! which i have cleaned prob 4 times in the 2 and a half years we have been here !
couple of weeks ago i was covered in some sort of nasty rash atricularia ,just looked up and it can come from bedbugs  :(
anyone got any idea how to deal with them , or should i just call exterminator in ?
What goes around comes around

John Kelly

Re: Bed bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:27:59 pm »
That tapping noise is probably Death Watch Beetle. They tap there heads against timber to attract a mate. I would get a timber pest control firm in because they could devistate the timbers in your cottage, act now,  could save you major headaches and cost down the line.
Bedbugs will be killed by any regular insecticide. Strip bed down, extraction clean mattresse with red hot water and dtergent, post treat with insecticide.Treat all the crevices :o in the bedframe as well.

M.Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:09 pm »
Cheers John,think i best call my landlord then ! will have to hold off on cleaning the mattress until just before we go on hols.Will use red hot soloution with some micro san in for good measure...
Just spoke to pest control bloke he said they can be a nightmare to get rid off as they cement their eggs to everything and it only takes one to hatch and ypur back to square 1 again.Joy

stevegunn

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:28:19 pm »
Recently did a leather suite imported from China which environmental health found a death watch beetle had hatched and the suite was destroyed whole house had to be checked joists,floorboards the whole lot.

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 02:41:20 pm »
Oh dear just been and collected a few dead bodies checked against pics on web site while looking through mag glass, they are 100% death watch beetle and not bed bugs !
going to be quite serious then they started making the same noise around this time last year ! looking for mates,just pulled back the carpet upstairs and wish i had not looked ! looks like quite a serious infestation !
Have got the conservation dept coming out next week as since the builders started doing a big extension next door we have had large cracks appear in the bedroom wall which is only 1 brick thick ,we can see daylight coming through the cracks now ,it`s when they were getting big skips dropped off and breaking up concerete on the drive next to our house ! If the beetles have been eating the beams it makes sense that the house is now falling to bits ! can feel the ground shake when they get skip delivered.
Sure they will do something about it now ! the house is on a buildings at risk register as it had a leaking roof until a couple of months ago !  ???