Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Redden Countryfresh

Dealing with price shoppers
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:25:57 am »
Hi  Missed Pete Sweeney's slot at the CCDO how to deal with price shoppers. Did hear a bit about finding all you can about the custy etc .

I believe he's mailing us about that 3 min item. Until then can anyone fill me in with the highlights? ::)
"So basically its a big vax!"

Bennie25

Re: Dealing with price shoppers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:13:00 am »
Why dont they just say it on here whys it saved for the CCDO, not really it the spirt of the forum is it, yet they'll come on here pushing the CCDO so they can get you there flogging crap.

spindle

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:43:52 am »
bennie25

you obviously have no idea what the last ccdo was all about......it was organised by cc for cc :o :o
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Bennie25

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:01:23 am »
Why dont they say it on here then?

liahona

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:14:22 am »
Bennie25,  I actually think the CCDO was a huge compliment to the spirit of this forum.

Nothing was flogged to anyone and those participating did so on their own time and for free...... yet still knuckle heads like you give even that abuse.

There have been a couple of business oportunities that have come about for some of those in attendance that could well set them up considerably in their business's for years to come.  All because of simply turning up and being open minded.

For people like Paul and myself it gave those who have doubted and abused our comments on our chosen field to come and see us fail.  As it was those who turned up I feel wanted to see what others were doing and to learn from maybe what they were having a golden opportunity to see.  I wont mention any names, but just about every "standard" course you can go on would not hold a candle to what was presented on the Monday and the general chit chat that was going on inbetween.  I know some wanted to come and couldnt but funny how those wanting us to fail and I mean the whole day to fail, didnt show up.

As it was we both as did others put our money where our mouths were or are.

There were people in attendance that had so many more years experience in this industry compared to the "people" they were watching and listening too yet still went away I am sure having learned something.  That which can not be taught by the writtn word on here.

I will mention one name, Susan.  Susan was open enough to wonder if how she had been cleaning rugs in the past was the correct way and wasnt hiding behind any fact that she was cleaning in any better or worse way.  Now Susan knows at least a different way of doing a clean.  Doesnt matter if it is a better or not so good a way, the effect of the day out is at least she now knows and can make her own choice.

There is only so much that can be said by the written word which is one of the reasons for events like the CCDO.

You choice not to go, your loss and by not going you dont really have much right to make a judgement of what is obvious you know not just little about but nothing about.

Best, Dave.

Karl Wildey

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:08:18 am »
Guys, you are wandering off the thread,

price shoppers, anyone.

lands

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:28:46 am »
send me your emails pete@oakleafcc.co.uk I will email you a write up of my session from the CCDO when I get a chance and this may help a little. And Bennie (or whatever your real name is) it is not a closed shop and I am happy to share it with you it's just easier to take on board when demo'd as Dave quite rightly said. I am happy to help anyone who approaches me in a polite manner as most do on this forum.

Pete

Keep an eye out for www.ccdo.co.uk should be up in a week or so with details of next year

Bennie25

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:09:02 pm »
Karl,

Go out to quote, meet the customer. With out doubt the best way to beat price shopping.

Bennie25

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:13:23 pm »
btw I may not be up to date with events, but what it is annoys me is people within the industry that will not say things on here because they wish to use it to make money.

I thought CCDO was a supplier sponsered event, I had that wrong obviously, sorry.

lands

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 01:44:57 pm »
Bennie

There were a handful of suppliers there but they helped towards the cost only. It would have been nice to pay the speakers a proper fee as it would for me and Jason not to run at a loss on the event but thats not why we did it.

There will be more suppliers there next year I'm sure but the ethos will be the same.

Pete

Neil Grainger

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 02:13:51 pm »
Pete,

You have mail.

Cheers

Neil

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 03:13:51 pm »
Stop picking on Bennie25 hes a good bloke!

Anyways I agree with him on the priceshoppers, I have begun to realize that going out almost always gets me the job as oppose to quoting over the phone.

I quoted over the phone for years and lost probably 3 potential jobs out of 5. I now gain an almost 100% success rate by going out quoting first. i know its more of a hassle but I genuinly believe it is worth it! Why wouldn't it be?

Sometimes they are adamant to get a price on the phone and if so I give them a roundabout figure but stress it is an estimate only and not a quote and you will give them a quote once you have surveyed their property. If they say they will 'think about it' or 'ask their husband' they are possibly priceshoppers and just forget about them and move on

That's my humble opinion anyways

John

Bennie25

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 04:56:58 pm »
Hey thanks John, I would also add that when going out to quote you dont need to 'sell' or be a 'salesmen' the customer simply likes it that they have MET you.

tell them what you can and cannot do, be polite and friendly, and they'll love you. lol

Some will even say, "you know your the only one bothered to come out"

most will book there and then, but dont ask, let them call you if they like, no pressure.

plus you can charge more.

PS. dont bother going out for one room though.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 05:15:41 pm »
Bennie

Why go to all that trouble and not ask for the business?

Assuming you feel happy that it's right for you and right for them then ask.

spindle

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 05:38:04 pm »
bennie do you not have a minimum charge?? .....mine is £50..............................
not worth it for 1 room.......

1 room £50 = £50 ph

sounds good to me ;D
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

David_Annable

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 06:25:34 pm »
Hi

What we sometime forget is that there are "price shoppers" who will only use you if you are the cheapest.

And customers who will ask how much will it be, the price given will be a factor in you getting the work but not the only factor.

If possible i like to go & do a survey, but as this is not always possible i will sometime book the appointment & do the survey on arrival, it is then up to the customer to have the work done then and there or not.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 06:38:28 pm »
That is similar to what I do Mr Annable. I say on the phone I can come with the equipment and if your happy with the price I can do it there and then or arrange a date for another time.

Phillip Mold

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 07:08:02 pm »
Yesterday I went our to see a potential client - he had been quoted £75 and £75 over the phone by two "competitors".

I got the job for £110 by  spending 20 minutes with them!

Funny thing though, the only times I've successfully given an estimate over the phone I've ended up regretting getting the job!
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

gwrightson

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:58 pm »
 1 three piece draylon suite   1 lounge carpet 12/ 26 foot   1 hall stairs and landing  average size
   anlaby area
        regards

I think this may be a price shopper, or an inquisitive c/c :)  recieved today in my mailbox, it exaclty as it came , no name
in the subject box "price please"

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Kev Loomes

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 10:08:31 pm »
IMO I think its mad to quote over the phone. But some people do it and are entirely happy with that.

But dont forget, not only do you get a higher job ticket but also a chance to sell other services. Today for example on our way home, I did a quote which initially was just a poss suite clean. I managed to sell protector on top of the clean which was a total of £324.00 and then her curtains too at £151.00. So I effectively doubled the job ticket just by visiting (she booked by the way).

Cheers

Kev

p.s. I know its not always possible to survey and we do on the odd occasion do it over the phone.