Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jeremy

Horrible Smell
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:08:49 am »
Went to a regular client on Wednesday. Nothing special,just a loop pile 80/20 nylon. Cleaned perfectly and not one visible stain.

Used a local prespray and Prochem's All Fibre Rinse in the TM.

Got a call from the client the next day saying that the carpet has dried but the smell is disgusting. Husband suggests we used dirty water in the TM.

Went round to have a look and it smells just like dog wee. Tried to suggest that this was the problem (Even though we didn't see any typical marks), but I know dog wee when I smell it.

She tells me that the dog has never done anything in the lounge and insists that it's the machine that was not cleaned between jobs (It always amases me that customers seem to know exactly how the machine works before they have even seen it).

Anyway she is insisting on getting in another carpet cleaner and billing me for it.

I have never really been successful in removing this odour. How would you guys deal with the carpet (not the customer).

Jeremy

Joe H

Re: Horrible Smell
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:18:55 am »
I have never really been successful in removing this odour. How would you guys deal with the carpet (not the customer).
Jeremy

Are you saying it has happened like this before?

Ian Rochester

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:51:33 am »
The only ideal solution is to lift the carpet and examine both the backing and the underlay, you should then be able to prove or disprove your thoughts, as well as her.

Were you using a portable and is the odour coming from the area where the portable was standing?  If so then the exhaust from the vacuums could mark the carpet and possible leave an odour, otherwise whether the machine has been cleaned or not is irrelevant and you need to point this out to her.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:52:10 am »
Hi Jeremy

Feel sorry for you on this one. Its quite obvious that the dog had wee'd at some stage and just dried - then you come along and re-activate it. If there are pets that you know of when quoting it might be an idea to inform the custy that there could be a chance of this happening - just to cover yourself.

With regards to custy's thinking they know more than a professional (this happens all the time, my brother is a plumber and gets it), I had a quote last week where she had a bit of an attitude straight away so wasnt really bothered in retaining her services, and she said that she knows all about carpet cleaning and has researched it thoroughly so knows what the best method is. I thought right, I can see where this is going. I said "what method would that be and where did you do your research if you dont mind me asking?" She went on to say that she knows a carpet retailer and he said that my carpet is really expensive (an 80/20 ::)) and that it should never have water on it LOL! She also said that HWE wasnt the best cleaning method but couldnt explain what WAS best.

I gave her an education to say the least and that was that. I'm sure I wont hear from her agian. JEEZ we do get em don't we :P

Anyway, I guess you could always go back and try an pinpoint the smell, pull back the carpet and spray a urine neutraliser onto the area including the underlay? Maybe apply a odour kill type product too? To be honest if the smell wasnt there when you first went there then its more than likely that it will die down and go, the act of re-activating it is just that but should dissipate after a while.

If you go back and apply any odour treatments, explain to her that it will fade, its only a case of re-activation of an existing stain (you sure as hell didnt put wee on it) and that to leave it for a week and see how it goes.

Dont forget though, you are not responsible for THEIR stains/odours. We have this in our terms which they sign before we do any work (it's all part of our survey forms).

Good luck

Kev

Ian Rochester

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:53:20 am »
Just noticed where you are from, if you want I'll pop down and have a look, you'll just need to cover the travel costs and a few nights accommodation!! 8)

I'm packing my bags already  ;D

elite mike

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:05:21 am »
Just noticed where you are from, if you want I'll pop down and have a look, you'll just need to cover the travel costs and a few nights accommodation!! 8)

I'm packing my bags already  ;D

i will give you a hand to   :D  :D

Deep Clean Newcastle Gateshead

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 10:15:45 am »
Could always do the CSI think and go in with a UV light, and show the client exactly where the dog urine is, that way is indisputable, and the client will have to say sorry. Explain to her about urine, and how the crystals are still there and water reactivates them.
I used prochem urine treatment, then extracted out using detergent and a load of deodoriser in the system. Then manually hand spray over the top deodoriser.
Hope it helps
Northumberland, Newcastle & Gateshead Carpet Cleaning
http://www.deepclean-uk.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:21:11 am »
just because it smells like dog urine doesn't mean it is, I would guess its just the damp wool, smell, although the carpet feels dry I'd wait an extra couple of days then see if the smell has gone.

Unfortunately you've already accused the dog, so now it will look like you are making excuses.

Most odours only exist with moister as a carrier, so when it is completely dry the smell will go.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:23:12 am »
If you decide to use prochem urine neutrelizer it needs spraying on heavily and leaving it shouldnt be rinsed out it takes a few days to break down the crystallic salts in the urine. You may have to repeat the process but you will solve using this method. Good luck.
Mark

Karl Wildey

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:44 am »
The client can not make you pay for someone else to clean the carpet. Unless you have refused to clean it again. You are allowed by law to correct your mistake. If she does not allow you to try correct your mistake then no court will make you pay, that is the law.
we are all allowed a second chance.

I had the same problem couple of years back and it smelt of cat wee, strange cos she had a cat. But it was not the cat it was bad drying. Having smelt around the carpet I notice the smell was in front of the sofa, using a damp meter I found this area still damp after two days. the water had reacted with the remaining dirt and this was the odour. A reclen of that area and a odour neutrilaiser and the problem solved.
The room had been shut up with no venting and had no sun. hence the damp carpet and it was a thick wooly carpet.
We all make mistakes from time to time, we then learn from them, its life.

Reclean the carpet and put a good smelly cleaner through it, making sure you dry it well. Problem we go.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 11:54:47 am »
Agree with earlier comments ie inspect the underlay and leave the urine neutraliser to dry of its own accord. two questions though

You say they are regular customers; the customer's reaction seems a bit extreme if you clean regularly for them. Have you ever cleaned that particular carpet for them before?

Secondly, I heard recently that there is a particular noxious smell you can get from when the latex in the backing of the carpet breaks down and then becomes wet. At the time I didn't quite get the full explanation of this so perhaps somebody else can elaborate and confirm if this is a possibility?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

C.C.S.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 12:08:23 pm »
hi all, there's a product called NI712, the best odour eliminator that i have ever come across, i always use it on bad smells like, urine human/pet, sick/vomit & other smells, wool smells etc. never had no complaints. NI712 Orange, cleansmartsupplies.co.uk........ C.C.S.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:14 pm »
Discounting urine and other bodily substances, there are two similar scenarios I've come across.

Firstly, oil from the animals coat has transferred to the carpet and other furnishings. This may have penetrated deep into the carpets structure. It is typically the bacteria living off these residues  that cause the problem. When I survey properties with this type of soiling, I will now clean using one of the new colloidals such as M Power or Nemesis, with  some in the rinse too. For M Power I use 1:120 pre spray and 1:500 rinse. Works everytime for me.

The rooms humidity during cleaning may have been a catalyst to soils on curtains and upholstery or even hard surfaces, so you may need to check this out too (sniff sniff)

The second scenario is when the customer has used, over the years, a lot of Shake and Vac type products. A respected industrial chemist told me that his theory (not a definitive answer) was that there was a chemical reaction between the Shake and Vac, the water and elements of the adhesive used in the carpets construction. Even without a dog ever been in the house, the "dog that needs a bath" odour would hang around for about a month, and any de-odourising attempt would just keep extending the period.

Obviously, you've explained to your custard that using soiled water would damage your machine, and that even if you did, the odour would have occured at the time of cleaning, not after completion of drying.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Alan_Harrison

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 05:54:01 pm »
Just an idea! Check the underlay to see if it's latexfoam type. Sometimes these degrade and give off a nasty ammonia/ bad egg smell. Similar to cloth back Chinese rugs when the latex has degenerated into a powder.
Cleaning and restoration of Oriental Rugs, kilims and tapestries.
http//www.olneyrugs.com