Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Do or die stains
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:20:50 pm »
Taken on job where the tenant is trying to save her deposit and it all hinges on getting alco pop dyes out of a polyprop white carpet, stains that are about 12 months old and rightdown to the backing. Yeh I know :o
So with nothing to lose I'm thinking of dabbling with some of this sodium metabisulphate stuff just in the hope of bleaching the stain.
Anyone willing to explain the process?

lands

Re: Do or die stains
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 08:39:54 pm »
have done it myself but Paul Moss is your man

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 08:50:09 pm »
Rinse th carpet first as there may be vanish etc which will hinder your results also make sure you have plenty of hot water you'll need it for your Sod. Met. also terry towel an iron and I like RX for juice from Chempsec.

If you know about the hot iron technique then you may have success but it's time consuming, I do hope you have priced this job up properly as we know what renters can be like :o

Shaun

gwrightson

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 08:56:23 pm »
here is a kink you may find useful

http://www.cleanprosonline.com/Bleaches.html

I have always had decent results using sodium meta, mixed very hot , and then used a hair dryer.

love the smell , better than snuff ;)

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

*paul_moss

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 09:00:43 pm »
This is a hard one to deal with because the range of dyes and other ingredients used in carbonated drink is massive and changes all the time.
As a starting point, on polyprop I would use ultra pack renovate, then a cool water rinse, this may or may not remove the stain but will serve to remove some components and dirt adhered to the sugar content.
From there, there are many chems but i prefere Prochem Red R ex. Use it in dab/blot style first, dwell and rinse hot and if the response is limited, it can be used in thermal transfer method,but be carful as heat can totally set the stain and dont get the heat too hot as your dealing with a plastic.
As to the other treatments, there are others that may work, some that I would not like to say on line as the eyes will roll ::), also  pop dyes some times respond to rust treatments as a last resort.

Glad im only on my first glass of wine  :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 09:18:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
The living room is past saving as she scrubbed it half to death so I refused to even try that room.
2 bedrooms and hall, I've explained don't expect miracles but I'll do my best especially as we talking colour stains on white carpet.

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »
Neil, in that case you have nothing to lose and the customer usually gives you cart blanche, I love this type of situation becuase it is live, the customer has attacked it with every thing and you can paly around with the stain and become a hero and gain good experience at the same time. Lap it up.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
Can be as good as CCDO but self trained.

Shaun

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »
Neil

With white polyprop, you can use an aggressive pre-spray and an oxy-booster, but check the MSDS first to make sure they are compatible. You can also use an oxy-booster in tank. Again check your data-sheets first.  You can use booster in both pre-spray and rinse at the same time.

Because Sodium Met is a reducer, it is possible that this used as well as Oxy-stuff may cancel one another out, or even produce a new colour, so beware (but it can be corrected).

NB

Sodium Metabisulphite is a mild reducing agent.  Sodium Hydrosulphite is a strong reducing agent.

If you do use a hot iron technique on polyprop, beware of the low melting point and keep that towel wet.

In an emergency, as a pre-treatment,I would be tempted to use household bleach, but only on polyprop, and avoid mixing with any other chemicals (freshwater rinse and avoid in particular an acidic rinse)

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!