Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Roger Koh

This picture shows a ballpoint ink stain on pigmented leather.

Roger Koh

This picture shows spotting application with ink7.7™ onto stain.

Roger Koh

This picture shows “Dwell-Time” – soil suspension principle at work.

Roger Koh

This picture shows extraction with cotton swab.

Roger Koh

This picture shows stain extracted.

Roger Koh

This picture shows restorative cleaning with ultraClean4.5™ - an extra heavy duty preconditioner.

Roger Koh

This picture shows cleaning with cleaner3.8™ > rinse3.0™ - to remove residues.

Roger Koh

This picture shows application of relaxer3.3™ - to rehydrate the wrinkled leather structure due to diminishing original fatliquor.

Roger Koh

This picture shows soaking time – to relax and plump the leather structure three dimensionally.

Roger Koh

This picture shows conditioning the leather with fatliquor5.0™ - to restore the original fatliquor that resulted in unsightly creases and wrinkles.

Roger Koh

This picture shows the result of fatliquor conditioning – leather structure rejuvenated with softness and strength.

Roger Koh

This picture shows the results of ballpoint ink removal plus leather structure conditioning.

You can do it too! I can help!

Questions and comments are welcome!

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System
IICRC #942 Certified
Leather Cleaning Technician
Master Textile Cleaner
Master Fire & Smoke Restorer
Journeyman Water Restorer
www.f.com

Shaun_Ashmore

If pigmented leather is leather sprayed with a 'paint' then why all of the conditioning treatments as it's the 'paint' that has the ballpoint mark on it, why not a delicate removal, clean with a respectable cleaner and a touch up with finish if required.

It's seems a big ordeal, I have removed successfully many pen marks and they do seem more straight forward then that.

What's the science?

Shaun

LTT Leathercare

Will be interested in the reply to this Shaun.

For us the 'science' of all these things simply does not stack up. 

There are far quicker, easier and less product consuming methods than this.  As Shaun rightly says it is the surface coating we are dealing with and nothing gets removed from the leather itself so all these conditioners and preconditioners etc. are totally unecessary.
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Shaun_Ashmore

I don't disagree with you Judy but it would be nice to hear a second opinion as yoursef and Ben are in theory speeking form the same hymn book but as they say "knowledge is power" and I would like to know as much as I can about as many products.

Shaun

Roger Koh

Re: How-To: Remove Ballpoint Ink Stains Pigmented Leather.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 08:47:29 pm »
The science of ballpoint ink removal for non-absorbent pigmented leathers is applying the principle of Dwell-Time.

Dwell-Time Principle:
“It is recommended that spotter be allowed 15 to 30 minutes of dwell time before stain extraction.
Dwell time provides the opportunity for spotter to fully emulsify or suspend stubborn ballpoint ink stain”.

Note:
Spotters should not be allowed to dry before stain extraction takes place, otherwise reapply then extract.

Residues:
Sticky residue removal with a leather safe pH (3-5) leather cleaner3.8™ follows with acidifier rinse3.0™.

Objective:
To remove the stains without damaging or removing the pigment finish.

Products for Ballpoint Ink Removal:
ink7.7™ > cleaner3.8™ > rinse3.0™.

Try these products out from the CCDO Leather Doctor® kit and post your experience here!

You can do better! I can help!

Roger Koh
www.f.com

*paul_moss

Roger has sent all his kits across to me now.
I will give them out on Monday to the people who asked for them. The kits are FREE but there is a tax surcharge to pay to Jason/Pete of £5 on pick up o the kit.
I have had a little play with mine ( the leather scent is great Roger) but I will reserve any comment until I have used the kit extensivley on different leathers.
I understand peoples comments above about system and levels of treatment, but why jump in with  neg comments  ::) when you have not even tried the product or system. Some think that their way is the one and only way :-X
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Shaun_Ashmore

Paul I agree, I'm jus looking for pointers and this system although extensive looks to go through fool proof steps toget an excellent result and hopefull excellent money and bye ek I need it!

Shaun

LTT Leathercare

Roger

I understand the principles behind the removal of ink on leather as this applies to most ink removal products but it is the 'science' behind the other products and methods used that interest us.  Please clarify why these processes are required and how they work.

We are constantly updating and renewing product lines and methods as new things come onto the market all the time but the 'scince' has to back up the products and methods.  Would just like to know the technology behind the products.

http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

*paul_moss

Paul I agree, I'm jus looking for pointers and this system although extensive looks to go through fool proof steps toget an excellent result and hopefull excellent money and bye ek I need it!

Shaun

Shaun the kits that Roger has sent have a little booklet with it that explains what to do in each circumstance and for which type of leather/situation.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL