Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David_Annable

Is there a "Chemical Free Cleanng System"
« on: March 31, 2008, 03:09:16 pm »
Hi

Had a customer on the phone today wanted a Chemical Free Carpet Clean, not Eco Friendly she didn't care about the planet.

I cant think of such a system, I did mention that she had chemical coming out of the tap, but she wasn't impressed.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

klinger (spa clean)

Re: Is there a "Chimical Free Cleanng System"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:15:50 pm »
Hi there, did she say why she wanted it done chemical free?
klinger of spa clean.

David_Annable

Re: Is there a "Chemical Free Cleanng System"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:19:47 pm »
Hi

Thanks

Never was any good at spooling.

Dave

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:28:19 pm »
Go and clean it with water - though you know thats a chemical.
Dont give up the chance to get referals - some of her family and friends might be as screwy as her.

You can have a 5 litres of water to mix into your water and just clean.

I read a posr recently where the cc forgot to add the cleaning fluid and just cleaned with the rinse which was just water.
He was suprised how much came out of the carpet.

Of course, use hot water  ;)

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:34:44 pm »
I know that using jet wash on patio was a lot better than just a hose so maybe water alone, under high enough pressure, will give her the finish she requires  ::)

klinger (spa clean)

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:55 pm »
Or prespray while she isnt looking, rinse extract, technically leaving no chemical residue! Whats she going to use to test the finished article with anyway? ;D
klinger of spa clean.

David_Annable

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 04:22:12 pm »
Hi

Remember "Sherlock " he would have had a top tip for this.

Sherlocks Rule No 1 "Allways leave the nutters for someone else"

Dave

Joe H

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:26:51 pm »
Steam cleaner with a vacuum

gwrightson

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:59:08 pm »
trying to catch us early hey  David, ;D  ;D  ;D

though the possibility of a custy asking is there, I suppose :-\

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 05:19:56 pm »
Don't think there is such a thing as totally chemical free cleaning,wonder if she uses washing up liquid to do the dishes,and if she wears make up offer to steam clean it off for her. :)John

john rees

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:26:39 pm »
Hi David,
              You could prespray with chemspecs dfc which is odour free and labled as suitable for chemical sensitive people and then rinse with pure water, we use an reverse osmosis system to filter our water, you could borrow some from a window cleaner if its a one off job without going to the expese of a filter system? but well worth it because it cleans as well as any chemical rinse. make sure its not deionised water though as not very good for your pump.

All the best
                              John
john

David_Annable

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 05:42:34 pm »
Hi

I asked if she or the children had an allergy, she said no.

She had apparently done some research on the internet, so didn't want any plant based chemicals.

Dave

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 05:49:56 pm »
Hi Guys

I have been an advocate on minimmum chemical approach for some years, comes from my chemistry background, I suppose.

In my view the best chemical free approach is to spray with sodium tripolyphosphate, agitate and extract with plain water, which was the origianl microsplitter approach .

If the customer wanted a really chemical free clean I would prespray with hot water and extract with hot water.I think you might be surprised how effective this is as the carpet will contain lubricants etc from its manufacture and any previous cleaning.

Just think how much BS there is within the CC industry, magnify that by 100 for the whole industry and there is no wonder people think they can have chemical free cleaning.

Cheers

Doug

lands

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »
it's the context in which she asked the question thats relevant. Easy to be flippant re water comment but thats a quick way to alienate a custy. Speaking with my sales hat on the reply should have been what do you mean by that (asked in please elaborate tone that suggests you are interested in what she means rather than the fact that she is a bit............................ 

David_Annable

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
Hi

I didn't actually say that water is a chemical, I thought it but didn't mention it.

I offered to Pre-spray with M Power & Freshwater rinse, she was adamant that she wanted Chemical Free Cleaning.

Dave

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 07:14:55 pm »
I retold a story recently on one of the forums about a job I did in a student let. I vacced, pre-sprayed, agitated and freshwater rinsed. It was hard going and I wasn't particularly pleased with my results. So I repeated the wet side of the process. Much better. When I returned to the kitchen for some more water, I found some One Step in the measuring jug waiting to be added to my sprayer :o  So freshwater cleaning is viable if the circumstances are right.

Another approach is as Doug suggested, but presented in a different way.

"Yes madam, I can clean your carpets by pre-treating with a food additive type of salt and rinsing it away with tap water"

Some people think of CD as being chemical free. I don't know the chemistry involved, but both water and CO2 are chemicals, and everyone (except CD) are trying to use less CO2, not more 8)

And NEVER use the word CHEMICAL. Say Cleaning Solution

Dry Vaccing is technically cleaning the carpet.
Sonic cleaning has been tried but not practical.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

PS Why not ask her which article she was reading?
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

lands

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »
I cant think of such a system, I did mention that she had chemical coming out of the tap, but she wasn't impressed

Make your mind up David :D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:38:50 pm »
tell her you can do a total chemical free clean but you can only guarantee to remove 85% of the soil within the carpet, ask them if they will be happy with that.

then just vac the carpet, collect the money, then leave :D :D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 10:46:57 pm »
I've found that when customers mention this they are thinking along the lines of solvents in the sense of the smell you get from picking up cleaning from a dry cleaners. Of course this may be missing her point.

If she really wants chemical free then ......don't charge her for the chemicals :) but don't forget to cross-subsidise with an increased labour charge. Now that is missing the point. ;D ;D
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:00 pm »
Last Saturday I bonneted a therapy room I share with a reflexologist. While I was setting up a woman sat waiting in the lobby said 'I'm very sensitive to chemicals' I said the stuff I use isn't too bad Microsplit and DFC.

Anyway she started sniffling and I said why dont you sit downstairs which she did with no bother.

While I was doing the clean the owner said could I have a look at a bad spill stain downstairs. Just where this woman had been sitiing for 10 minutes. I said what have you tried on it, he nipped off and brought back a huge, half empty bottle of some sort of major solvent.

This women immediatley started coughing and spluttering. ::)