Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Domestically do you go out and survey every enquiry?

Always
14.3%
8 (14.3%)
Mostly
32.1%
18 (32.1%)
Sometimes
42.9%
24 (42.9%)
Never
10.7%
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Shaun_Ashmore

Quoting question
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:59:03 pm »
I'm changing to onsite survey only as telephone quotes are putting people off.

Shaun

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Re: Quoting question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:51:25 pm »
Having voted "never" there is always the exception that proves the rule- but is definitely less frequent than "sometimes".
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:44:26 pm »
 in most cases domestic work is so easy to quote on the phone and just add a bit on to be cautious,and if it is an absolute minger when you get there and they are not happy to pay the extra you can still walk away.
I knew a carpet cleaner that used to take 90 mins-2 hours just to measure up and then sit down and work it out to the last square mm,(yes millimetre)you can have the job done in less time than that.
We all know the rough price for 2 bed/3 bed etc and a survey is not usually needed.-John

Jason Hedges

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:01 pm »
Same here,

Quote 90% over the phone if customers know approximate room sizes. Also ask if they're able to move smaller items out of room to be cleaned and furniture that will need moving. Also parking as with t/m can be a problem and add time to job.

Will go and quote for larger or possible troublesome jobs.

Always give an approximate price, gives you room to adjust when there.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:54 am »
Hi Guys

The only times I will quote domestic face to face is if I am near/coming back that way or if it is really complicated.

Since becoming internet based I operate over a much wider area and couldn't possibly visit all of the quotes.

Cheers

Doug

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:46:24 am »
Commercial - yes, I would always want to see the area and also introduce mtself to the company. I think that means a lot to them as well.
However, there have been times when distance was too far (70 miles) to make a trip viable and I already had jobs with that pub group so I knew my pricing would be ok.

Domestic - its got to be of some reasonable sized job to want me to go and quote. I can see the value of a visit but its costing a lot more to move about these days therefore I am not going to do 10 miles for a small dining room quote.  I would give an ESTIMATE on the phone.

I do think there is value in a potential customer meeting who they are inviting into their homes and trusting the cleaner with their possessions.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:40:45 am »
I rarely quote domestics face-to-face, but I built my business on doing just that and got just about every job, but I don't need to do that any more but I would certainly urge anyone just starting out in the business to quote every customer personally in their home.
Not only can you get a better price than you could over the phone, but you can also see the job in advance and prepare yourself for it so that you don't make any silly mistakes on the day.

Simon

lands

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:03:01 pm »
Agree with Simon re newbie but also with Doug re area I cover. There are always ups and downs this way but I find they even themselves out.

If you ask lots of open questions you tend to get a good picture of the job anyway...............plug for my ccdo session? yes.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 02:50:01 pm »
Just quoted for a flotex kitchen. Not a big job, why bother quoting?

Numerous reasons, another one being I advised her that the lounge HSL need doing as well. £175 for a mornings work. So saved myself another trip back and the customer gets it a bit cheaper-everybody wins. ;D

I wouldn't be able to do much extra if I asked on the day. That will be when I advise her she can have her wool carpets Scotchgarded.

When you are really busy it must be tempting not to bother. Quote med-high and lose the job, quote low and find a poohole.

Looking forward to using Pete's material though when I'm as busy as the old timers.  :)

lands

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 02:56:39 pm »
Hi Mike

If I had the choice I would quote everything face to face but in order to attract some sort of viable workload I use a system that is far reaching geographically so I have to rely on te phone quite alot. I doubt that the content of my session will be new to you though Mike although I find it helps to hear what you already know from someone else from time to time, stops you from becoming complacant.

Pete

David_Annable

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:17 pm »
Hi

I went for mostly.

But some days its sometimes.

If i'm really busy never.

Hope that helps.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 04:02:59 pm »
Pete

I will be very interested in your stuff because it's in the context of carpet cleaning. I bet you do something that I never dreamed of doing and I'lll do it and it brings in more work.

I'd be very interested if you keep any stats and tested things.

David

Have you put your prices up yet? :)

David_Annable

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 04:15:43 pm »
Hi

Mike Yes & No, it's easier to explain face to face are you going to be there Sunday night?

Dave

stevegunn

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:20:38 pm »
I have a higher yes rate when quoting face to face

David_Annable

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 05:45:49 pm »
Hi

I agree with Steve.

In theory you should go out & see every new customer, but it does depend on the quality of new customers you are attracting.

Dave

lands

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 06:08:05 pm »
Pete

I will be very interested in your stuff because it's in the context of carpet cleaning. I bet you do something that I never dreamed of doing and I'lll do it and it brings in more work.

I'd be very interested if you keep any stats and tested things.

David

Have you put your prices up yet? :)

Very Simple Mike. It's all about listening (and making sure you've got something to listen to) get to this and most custy's sell to themselves. Very tempting to give more away but must resist temptation and get on with dealing with the fact that my first child has just been given our 3rd choice of Primary schools and gutted ain't the word.

Pete

turneylogan

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »
Had a quote today for a very small kitchen diner carpet. Wondered if it was worthwhile visiting but did so. In the end the chap asked for his diner, hall, porch, lounge and bathroom.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »
when someone rings up firstly i listen to there voice, are they young? are they common? then I ask where they live, if they live outside my area (or in my area but on the council estate) I will then decide (using the above info) if they are worth quoting too. If they meet my 'preferred customer profile' then I will go out to give them a quote even if its just a bathroom.

so to make it simple if they are poor, common, young, or live to far away I blow them out. all others get  an in-home quote.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 09:19:12 pm »
when someone rings up firstly i listen to there voice, are they young? are they common? then I ask where they live if they live outside my area (or in my area but on the council estate) I will decide using the above info if they are worth quoting too. If they meet my 'preferred customer profile' then I will go out to give them a quote even if its just a bathroom.

so to make it simple if they are poor, common, young, or live to far away I blow them out. all others get  an in-home quote.

Brilliant ;D

dan roberts

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 09:46:11 pm »
AT LAST!!

Mike Hallidays comment (two above), superb!
For once someone is talking business sense on this site, unlike some pompous bores on here.
Mike has in a nutshell laid down the basics in quoting.
You can tell ALOT from a phonecall if you load your questions right, and then from there you can make a profile of your customers expenditure and urgency and expectations

Anyway, thanks Mike

Dan  ;)
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.