This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Advertising on Google
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:32:36 pm »
Does anyone have any experience, good, bad or otherwise of advertising on Google.
What sort of leads does it bring in, price shoppers or serious people?
And, what's the best way of setting up a Google ad, with keywords etc?

Simon

markpowell

Re: Advertising on Google
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:18:33 pm »
I have just had a rep from google call me today, he is calling me back next week, so i will be interested as to the replies on this topic.
Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »
I think it depends where you live more than anything as to whether it works well.

Even when I was no1 very few click throughs indeed.

Since Mark Roberts did my website I've had about 2 calls a week and has easily paid for itself in the first month. So get your website sorted,  but give adwords a try.

Robert Watson

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:27:34 pm »
Hi Mark.
Thats the first time I`v heard of a rep from Google.
Has anyone else been contacted?
Rab
The Kitchen Door Centre

mxg

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:54:16 pm »
 ???

Warning bells starting to ring here. Likewise I have never heard of a rep from Google but I have had calls in the past from people claiming they were from certain organisations when they were at best just distributors etc. Mainly purporting to be from BT but as I think about it there may even have been one that claimed to be from google but I didn't believe him and he wasnt

Caveat emptor

Mick

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 07:23:55 pm »
Maybe Mark you bit confused.

Ive had a few calls recently from different companys offering to get my website to the top of page 1 on Google within 48 hours, for this sum of £100 for the first month and no obligatoion to take it any further after that, but if you do its a mi. of £20 but up to you how many £20's you want, each being a key phrase..

Maybe you miss inderstood and thought they were actually from google but they are not.

markpowell

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:39:30 pm »
Yes Joe i think your right, he said i would be top of listings within 48 hours and it isnt a contract you pay month by month he said it was £20 for each keyword and you can have upto 5. Cheers Joe for this info he did state at the begining of the call that he was ringing on behalf of google, it was a little misleading think i will steer clear. ;)
Mark

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:40 pm »
My wife tells me we have had people from goggle call concerning our account with them

Think they owe me money ;D ;D ;D

I am dubious about paying so much a word and a click

Did try it but i think it is safer   and better to depend on search engines

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:52:57 pm »
Simon

Are you coming to the CCDO, I believe internet marketing will be one of the main focuses.

Cheers

Doug

PaulKing

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:54:17 pm »
lavora marketing in manchester is one £100 a month plus set up for 5 key phrases, if you get the key phrases right might be worth it.

Did it for a month and took 2 hours to cancell it wonder why?

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

spencer davies

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:00:59 pm »
Its sponsored listings, getting top of page one is something you can easily do, our sponsored listing is used far more infrequently than our two naturally placed sites.

I spoke to a customer in Wadhurst today who just ignores ANY sponsored listing, internet users a becoming more sophisticated and have a better understanding than we expect.

Regards

S

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 09:07:01 pm »
Doug,
Can't we'll be working on a cruise ship in Germany at the time.

It all seems very complicated this internet malarkey or maybe I am far more of a Luddite than I care to admit.
Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
Just had guy on the phone working for Google and he has offered me 5 Key phrases, for £99 for the first month with unlimited clicks.
I have two questions:

Is that a fair deal?
Is one month long enough to see if Google can generate leads for my business?

At the end of the month you get a report from Google telling you how many clicks you have had to each Key phrase and how many of those clicks went to our website. From there on you can drop some of the key phrases and keep the ones that work, £20 each per month.

Does this sound like a reasonable first step into internet advertising or could I get a better deal direct with Google.

Simon

Neil Grainger

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 05:10:08 pm »
Simon

He does not work for google but a company that will get you on Google.

Its much better to do it yourself or get the guys that did your website to do it, They probably no what needs to be done and will do this for a hosting fee.

turneylogan

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 06:07:22 pm »
I have gone for it. The company I am with is New Approach and it guarantees you front page listing. However, two things:-

It is entirely key phrase sensitive,'carpet cleaners in Timbuctu' wont show at all if your key phrase is 'carpet cleaner in Timbuctu'.

It is a sponsored listing which I believe is not as good as a natural listing.

For your £99 (plus VAT) you get 5 key phrases in the first month, thereafter you can go as low as one for £20 plus VAT.

It is a rolling monthly contract. Mine started on Tuesday, so I can report in a few weeks' time whether or not it has worked for me.

I am trying it as my web designer is wanting a fortune for a revamp of the site.

On a separate note - if he has provided me with the domain name and email address, am I stuck with him?

lands

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 06:13:33 pm »
I have gone for it. The company I am with is New Approach and it guarantees you front page listing. However, two things:-

It is entirely key phrase sensitive,'carpet cleaners in Timbuctu' wont show at all if your key phrase is 'carpet cleaner in Timbuctu'.

It is a sponsored listing which I believe is not as good as a natural listing.

For your £99 (plus VAT) you get 5 key phrases in the first month, thereafter you can go as low as one for £20 plus VAT.

It is a rolling monthly contract. Mine started on Tuesday, so I can report in a few weeks' time whether or not it has worked for me.

I am trying it as my web designer is wanting a fortune for a revamp of the site.

Turney, you should speak to Mark Roberts he is very reasonable and very good.

On a separate note - if he has provided me with the domain name and email address, am I stuck with him?

Turney, you should speak to Mark Roberts he is very reasonable and very good.

turneylogan

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »
Thanks will do.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »
Turney,
It's New Approach who have contacted me.
I might go with it just for a month, purely as an experiment whilst at the same time I may have my site optimised to bring it up the free listings and then compare the two results wise in due course.
What keywords are you using?

Let me know how you go on and I'll give you feeback on who well, or badly we do from it.

Simon

Art

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 09:21:59 pm »
Do some research into SEO, it's not as hard as some people would have you believe

Arthur