This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Helen

Looking after staff
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:45 am »
sometimes you can help employees but they just dont want to be helped but remember good staff are hard to come by so look after them

Have copied that from "fed up" thread yesterday!

In our experiences with staff whatever you do you will not be right. But to move forward they are a necessary evil ;D ;D

Correct - some do not want to be helped as they don't want to "help" themselves in the first place. Sus them out and get rid!

Correct - good staff are hard to find and yes look after them when you find them, but still you will not be right even if you are being more than fair :)

Just for example, a few weeks ago one individual mentioned that he needed to earn more money (don't we all!) he flung a figure of £40 per week in the air. It was mentioned in a conversation and as such we did not take it too seriously..... £40 x 52 weeks = £2080 per annum rise, the guy can't be serious!......surely??

Yesterday, quote " a few weeks ago I said about more money, but my wage slip has not gone up. when will it happen?" (quite snotty and serious too!)

Now this guy is good (most of the time), no problems with standards, timekeeping good, customers like him etc etc.
Along the way we have "looked after" him, hearing when he said he was skint and offering extra work (which most times he refused!) and hearing when he was tired cos his little one had been awake all night and helping out with his workload, things like that which we don't have to do, but feel that because he is good we should :)
We offered him the job 10 months ago at £20k+ per year, at the moment he is on target for closer to £24k. (as per this is money in January this year the average for a window cleaner is £14,399 before tax)
So as Eddie said in his thread we have been more than fair and yet the guy still is not happy. Why?

Because he thinks that the world owes him something!
Because he and his girlfriend chose the lifestyle to have a baby and for her to give up work aswell, but expected the tax credits to fully re-inburse her ex-wage. They didn't obviously!!!
She can drive, but chooses not to, so she will not get a part time evening job, which would help them out, but he fully expected us to just hand over an extra £40 per week, because he thinks they are owed it!

and before you all say xxxxxxxx UK workers......
This guy is Polish ;)

pingu

Re: Looking after staff
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:00:48 pm »
Cheeky git...

bluez

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:10:05 pm »
good post Helen, that about sums it up really. This is not the exception this is the norm.
hi

LSB

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 01:42:55 pm »
i have always tried to look after my staff for the good of my business and for them !
however when it suits them , it obviously counts for nothing !

pingu

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:48:09 pm »
Personally until I have created my 'perfect round' I shall continue to be a one man band and only when I am so overwhelmed with work will I ever consider taking on a full time employee....

Dave.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:48:45 pm »
Windex:  Friday 1.15pm.

Helen

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:56:05 pm »
Windex:  Friday 1.15pm.

Thanks for the reminder, hubby will be there listening intently, unfortunately I have to stay here and sack supervise some staff ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »
good post Helen, that about sums it up really. This is not the exception this is the norm.

Thanks and I am not just talking in our industry either. Makes me feel old, but in the past when I was employed, if I was skint or wanted something extra, then I went out and worked for it, that is how I was brought up. but if you were to suggest to some of the little ***** now that 10 hours extra per week in a part time job will soon mount up if you want it too, they look at you as if you have 2 heads.
By the way the one that I was on about on average works 36 hours per week for his money, so plenty of time for a part time job or something IF he really wanted to. ;)

bluez

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:16:41 pm »
Its all downhill for him now, he will be gone to pastures new within 3 months. The next thing to go will be his work quality. :(
hi

NWH

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 04:23:50 pm »
sometimes you can help employees but they just dont want to be helped but remember good staff are hard to come by so look after them

Have copied that from "fed up" thread yesterday!

In our experiences with staff whatever you do you will not be right. But to move forward they are a necessary evil ;D ;D

Correct - some do not want to be helped as they don't want to "help" themselves in the first place. Sus them out and get rid!

Correct - good staff are hard to find and yes look after them when you find them, but still you will not be right even if you are being more than fair :)

Just for example, a few weeks ago one individual mentioned that he needed to earn more money (don't we all!) he flung a figure of £40 per week in the air. It was mentioned in a conversation and as such we did not take it too seriously..... £40 x 52 weeks = £2080 per annum rise, the guy can't be serious!......surely??

Yesterday, quote " a few weeks ago I said about more money, but my wage slip has not gone up. when will it happen?" (quite snotty and serious too!)

Now this guy is good (most of the time), no problems with standards, timekeeping good, customers like him etc etc.
Along the way we have "looked after" him, hearing when he said he was skint and offering extra work (which most times he refused!) and hearing when he was tired cos his little one had been awake all night and helping out with his workload, things like that which we don't have to do, but feel that because he is good we should :)
We offered him the job 10 months ago at £20k+ per year, at the moment he is on target for closer to £24k. (as per this is money in January this year the average for a window cleaner is £14,399 before tax)
So as Eddie said in his thread we have been more than fair and yet the guy still is not happy. Why?

Because he thinks that the world owes him something!
Because he and his girlfriend chose the lifestyle to have a baby and for her to give up work aswell, but expected the tax credits to fully re-inburse her ex-wage. They didn't obviously!!!
She can drive, but chooses not to, so she will not get a part time evening job, which would help them out, but he fully expected us to just hand over an extra £40 per week, because he thinks they are owed it!

and before you all say xxxxxxxx UK workers......
This guy is Polish ;)

The last guy that worked for me was word for word the same,when he got like that i just sacked him.

alanwilson

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:00:41 pm »
I don't think so matey - you'd think that he'd be happy with 24k especially being Polish (not being xenophobic just stating a fact - they make less money).

I'd tell him where to go - POLAND.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Helen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:17:12 pm »
I don't think so matey - you'd think that he'd be happy with 24k especially being Polish (not being xenophobic just stating a fact - they make less money).

I'd tell him where to go - POLAND.

Believe me we have been tempted at times! In the grand scale of things not demeaning window cleaning at all, £24k (it could be more if he wanted it too!) is a pretty good rate of earnings, I keep track of local salaries etc in the local rag and job centre and some fully qualified "technical" positions don't get that much.

alanwilson

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 09:44:04 pm »
exactly - I wouldn't stand for that kind of nonsense
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

dave0123

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
a tell you what helen pay me 24k and the possible incentive to earn more il be out 7days a week  ;D
Dave.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:55:01 pm »
I had to sack one of mine last week, not replaced him yet.

Anyone want a job ?

NWH

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:55:32 pm »
Why did you sack him.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 10:02:11 pm »
He just didnt have it.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:17 pm »
wouldn't jump over third storey balconies.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »
Wouldnt clean windows properly, and wouldnt put the hours in, wouldnt listen, work sheet wouldnt add up.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 10:25:59 pm »
wouldn't jump over third storey balconies.
LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D